Drain for Air Conditioner - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Drain for Air Conditioner

I received my window unit AC today for my Scamp 16. Does the water that accumulates in the bottom part of the unit "help" the unit with efficiency or functioning in any way?
I understand the AC pulls that moisture out of the air which helps cool, but I don't know if the AC uses the collected water to its advantage?

The AC will be installed in the closet.

I would like to add a drain line directly to the bottom of the AC, but I'm not sure if it should be just for "overflow" water or if it would be OK to try to set it up to drain all of the water. I'd like to keep the AC completely drained if it won't cause any harm to it. I'm trying to avoid having a partially drained AC from dumping water into the closet while driving.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If the unit has a drain hole then it should be completely drained/emptied before traveling again. Some high efficiency units do not have drains and use the condensate to help cool.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

Virginia
It is a "high efficiency" unit with a rating of 10.7 EER

It does not have a drain tube, the fan seems to pickup most of the moisture from the lower tray, perhaps I could just attach a valve to the drain line I add, then just drain it before driving?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Maybe you will not have any, try it without and see how much you have sitting, you can always throw in a towel to keep it from leaking all over during travel but you may only have very little.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The window unit I have in my home has a water discharge nipple in the lower tray. Since it's mounted on the second story, I've run a clear tube down to the ground level to keep water from running down the side of the house. If your A/C has the same thing, perhaps you can also run a tube out through the floor (thoroughly caulked to keep bugs out of course).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

Virginia
I've been informed that that water in the bottom of the unit likely helps the efficiency of the unit as it hits the coils.

With that in mind I will just leave the bottom of the unit alone and devise a separate tray beneath it for draining any spillover.
Some here have used a paint tray with a drain line, another build a slanted shelf then coated it with fiberglass.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
Just remember, any liquid left in the a/c unit prior to towing, can end up on your floors.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #8

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
What unit did you get? I have a 5000 btu window unit that I'm currently installing in the closet of my 13 ft scamp.

Here is a thread on my specific unit.
Frigidaire FRA054XT7, condensation?

On mine at least, yes the condensation collects to the condensor (hot, back) area under the fan and gets splashed up on the hot coils. Yes, on mine there is an overflow "hole", no tube. It looks like it's made for something to plug in there, not perfectly round. I'm planning on calling Fridgidaire Monday to ask if there is any drain accessories or if that's a standard-ish fitting. I took much better pics of that hole this very evening. I'm exhausted, I'll add them to my thread tomorrow.

Ideally, I like the idea of a valve on a tube tapped under the condensation area, not the overflow. The overflow will still need proper draining, but the valve on an additional drain on the main condensation will let you drain the whole thing to prevent splashing while underway. And also to prevent the spray onto the condenser coils optionally, while that aids in cooling, I've read complaints it makes loud pinging sounds. Problematic especially when installed close to the bed. Which mine will be.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #9

British Columbia
I added pictures of the bottom of my Frigidaire. Including clear pictures of the overflow hole:

Link to new post:
Frigidaire FRA054XT7, condensation?

Relevant images:

Old 07-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

Virginia
Thx Dylan.

I purchased a "Keystone Follow Me" window unit. It's 6000 btu's yet narrow like a 5000. It Has a remote, the remote contains the thermostat for more effective cooling of the desired area. The unit itself has a thermostat and all controls as well if you don't wish to use the remote.
I bought it because of its width and BTU rating, remote is a bonus.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P R View Post
Thx Dylan.

I purchased a "Keystone Follow Me" window unit. It's 6000 btu's yet narrow like a 5000. It Has a remote, the remote contains the thermostat for more effective cooling of the desired area. The unit itself has a thermostat and all controls as well if you don't wish to use the remote.
I bought it because of its width and BTU rating, remote is a bonus.
That sounds really nice. I don't think the thermostat is on the remote on the Frigidaire, and that was a big disappointment. We'll soon see how well it works.

Looking at the specs and especially the remote, I'm regretting the Frigidaire selection on my part!! Other than perhaps sticking into the cabin a bit more, I see no downside to this unit and the controls on the unit and on the remote look significantly better.

I thought I considered them all!!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #12

British Columbia
I'd love to see pics of the underside of your unit if you uninstall it to adjust draining or have another opportunity. I'll be checking some local retailers to see if any other units have the overflow drain hole with the apparent turn to lock shape.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #13

Virginia
I hadn't really inspected the bottom of mine- just got it last week and I'm not even close to installing it yet. But check it out- it has the exact same port as in the bottom as yours does.

Don't have buyers remorse for your trailer updates, because it's almost guaranteed someone will come along and use something "cooler" than you.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1416052765.jpg  
Old 07-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P R View Post
I hadn't really inspected the bottom of mine- just got it last week and I'm not even close to installing it yet. But check it out- it has the exact same port as in the bottom as yours does.

Don't have buyers remorse for your trailer updates, because it's almost guaranteed someone will come along and use something "cooler" than you.
Funny, googling links for that unit I thought the top looked similar too. I bet the guts are the same. Makes me wonder if your remote would work on mine!

Does yours make a piercing, ear splitting shriek at any button press like the Fridgidaire does by default??

I do understand what you say about buyers remorse, but man did I put in the hours selecting a model!! So a bit disappointed I missed something else that may be better. If it was six months after my install, something better always come alone, so fine. But while I'm still installing??!!!

I'm pretty sure mine will work out just fine. I think I'll just be ecstatic to have AC at all!

I have the feeling they way they build these things (cheaply) I may be replacing it before too long and can choose again.