Drop Axle Turned Upside Down? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I wouldn't consider for one moment doing the work to convert to spring-over without replacing the known-dead springs... maybe that's just me. If the springs need to be replaced anyway, how about putting the existing axle back in without modification - but with new springs - then looking at what you have for ride height and handling, before spending any time or money on modifications?

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
I haven't seen any evidence of them being bad. If so, I agree. They look like regular trailer springs to me. Ideally, the flatter the spring, the better, although mounting can force a change.

Does anybody have a picture of stock boler springs with weight on them? the only thing I've seen is the ones with the unsprung weight hanging, which doesn't mean much.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #17
I would like to see a video of this arrangement passing over bumps, as I think the axle must be waggling around a lot - forwards and backwards as well as up and down. It is effectively cantilevered below the springs so the load on the springs must have been big.

But on the other hand, it's interesting to know that doing this doesn't cause the trailer to burst into flames, get hit by thunderbolt, etc, etc. And presumably it tows OK?
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
Name: Kees
Trailer: Boler 1700
British Columbia
Thanks for all the comments. As far as I can tell I think I've got two options I'm comfortable with. If the electric brakes work (I still need to test them) I will buy new springs and components to return the axle to its original position. If the brakes don't work I'll just buy a new axle with brakes. If they do work I'm wondering what the spring sizing is like. It looks like most springs are 25 1/4 center eye to eye. I have found springs from princess auto that look like a good fit, let me know what you think (see link below)

1,750 lb 4-Leaf Double-Eye Trailer Spring | Princess Auto

As for how the trailer tows. When I purchased the trailer I dragged it 90km from surrey to abbotsford and it towed great, no wobble. That being said I did not have a camera set up to see the axle in action. I know the current set up isn't ideal, but I believe its been run that way by the PO for quite some time.

KeesV is offline   Reply With Quote