Dry Camping: Fresh Water Sources and Dump Stations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Being new to trailer camping and specifically dry camping, I'm preplexed by the following:
1. If you want to fill your fresh water tank as near as possible to your dry camping location, where do you find a fresh water source that will allow you to your tank? e.g. do gas stations or stores allow you to run 25-50 gallons of their fresh water into your tank?
2. Since dry camping locations wouldn't typically provide a dump station, where do you dump your black and grey tanks after you leave your dry camping location? e.g. do parks allow you entry simply to dump your tanks?

Please undersatnd, these are sincere questions - I don't expect specific locations. I just trying to figure out what type of locations to look for for resh water and dump stations.

Thank you in advance!

Dianna
diannas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I believe there are actually on-line and printed directories for dump stations -- Some charge, some don't.

I have often put a few gallons into my small tank at gas stations, but I dunno about large quantities.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here is one site to check out.

Bill K

http://www.rvdumps.com/dumpstations/
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Many US Forest Service campgrounds that I use in Southern California actually provide water within the campground, just not at each individual site. They usually have a few spigots dispersed around the campground, and you may connect a hose momentarily to them just long enough to fill your fresh water tank. Depending how far away from a spigot the site I choose is, I sometimes just make a couple of trips with a 5 gallon jerry can.

The freeway rest stops all have RV dump stations. Most campgrounds have directions to the nearest dump station if they don't have one on their property.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here is one site to check out.

http://www.rvdumps.com/dumpstations/

Another one

http://www.sanidumps.com/

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft (B19)
Quote:
Being new to trailer camping and specifically dry camping, I'm preplexed by the following:
1. If you want to fill your fresh water tank as near as possible to your dry camping location, where do you find a fresh water source that will allow you to your tank? e.g. do gas stations or stores allow you to run 25-50 gallons of their fresh water into your tank?
2. Since dry camping locations wouldn't typically provide a dump station, where do you dump your black and grey tanks after you leave your dry camping location? e.g. do parks allow you entry simply to dump your tanks?

Please undersatnd, these are sincere questions - I don't expect specific locations. I just trying to figure out what type of locations to look for for resh water and dump stations.

Thank you in advance!

Dianna
I have just returned from a few months camping in Tx. Most park service run, or State parks will allow dumping of tanks for a fee. We only encountered one private RV park that would not allow us to dump even if we paid. Around Amistad area one of the 3 parks had fresh water so tanks could be filled there .We like to carry a extra 10 gall in the van rather than load the trailer up if we expect no water hookup. Some areas are VERY picky about gray water.
TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Thank you all! Great info!
diannas is offline   Reply With Quote