Drying damp towels? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
We put ours over the seats in our tow vehicle. If we are leaving, then they are moved to a line inside the trailer or over our outside chairs and under the awning.
Thats what I also do on warm but damp days. A vehicle will also get warm inside when closed up.

I find that leaving any towels hanging on a single hook do not dry well in the trailer even in warm weather and its worse if they are left hanging in the bathroom. Have found hey do much better with hung on actual towel bar - just need to remember to flip them over on the bar at some point in the day. I have used towel bars with suction cups on the outside of the bathroom door & I use an over the cabinet door towel bar for the kitchen towels.

In warm weather I do use terrycloth towels but in colder damp weather when its hard to dry towels I use fast drying towels - such as back packers use - one that I like is the Ultra Fast Dry Towel.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Since I replaced the passive vent in my bathroom with a powered vent (read FAN), I now just hang my towel on a hook on the inside of the bathroom door and close the door, leaving the small exhaust fan on. It dries in a few hours and I have a small hand towel to use in the meantime.

Walt

Old 09-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Change the type of towel you use. I bought a couple of high tech towels that dry fast, small, and are more like a sponge than a terry cloth towel.
Once again you're camping not living is an anchored house. Think outside the house (box).

Look at stores like REI. What do the backpackers do?
We, too, use "high tech towels". They can be quite expensive if purchased at REI as backpacker towels or elsewhere as yoga towels. I found mine in the auto section of TARGET for about $10. Granted, they are a bland grey/green color. I have also seen colorful beach towels, in the summer, that are made of "high tech" material. While these towels do dry fast there is at least one drawback, especially in the outdoors. I find, if dropped, they attract and cling to any weed, seeds, leaves, etc. Waving the towel does no good. You must remove each and every piece by hand. Sooooo, take special care not to drop your towel. I keep mine in a rip-stop nylon bag when dry. This helps to protect it from wayward debris!

We, too, find it best to drape the towels over our chairs in the tow vehicle. By the time we get back from our day hike the towels are dry!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
Iowa
We used to have a homemade PVC clothesline that went on the back bumper into two flag poles. We have never gotten around to making or getting such a thing for the new trailer but no problem. We have a line that can go from cabinet pull to cabinet pull and a clothesline on a hook that has arms which make a circle. In rare cases for large wet items, we can turn cushions over to the vinyl side and use them, or use hooks in the bathroom. We also use camping towels and sometimes put some items inside the vehicle as mentioned by others.

We are much better off without the outside line due to rain, rain and rain so many times. Also don't have problems with insects or something walking off.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #19

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
Quebec
Registry
I got frustrated with trying to dry large bath towels and started to use 2 hand towels instead. One for a first dry, then one for a polish It's a lot easier to find places to hang/dry small towels.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #20

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
This is my plan for when we actually get our snoozy.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can...-Rack/21958247

We commute between 2 houses every week. Each one has an outside umbrella clothesline that can only be used in winter (dry season) In the city we have a separate dryer and at the lake we have an all-in-one combo washer/dryer, VENTED. We prefer not to use it most of the time for drying and we hang everything on a dollar general clothing rack. Towels are clipped to skirt hangers to hang dry. Sheets are clipped to 4 skirt hangers. My plan for the camper is to have the tripod dryer for hang drying, outside if nice, inside if not. I have this for laundry https://thescrubba.com/collections/all
as well as this Columbus Washboard Company ‚€“ Columbus Washboard Co.
which I used all summer thru 2004 as we didn't have electricity except for a couple of weeks between the hurricanes.
And this is what I carry for detergent when travelling.
WashEZE 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets Edited to add, they do have a free sample program.
Betcha you're sorry you asked now! :-)
Old 09-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp
Alabama
Really, Install towel bars UNDER the cabinets.
They will be out of the way, but fully functional.
I have installed them in the Scamp and the 5th wheel and they have been very useful.
Connie uses them to hang towels and also hangers with those things that she doesn't want to dry in the electric dryer.(we have a washer and dryer in the 5th wheel)
Old 09-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We use our Clam rain or shine, works very good, just string a line in back side and throw the towels over, and in 2 hours they are dry. Carl
Old 09-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #23

Name: David
Trailer: Shopping
Wisconsin
I appreciate the ideas ranging from changing towel type to varying hanging methods. No one addressed that, since we bathe at night, nighttime drying is harder than drying in the daytime while you are out of the trailer. I will check out a high tech towel (and avoid catching debris with it). But, I do like and desire the heavy terry cloth which I have at home (when dry that is). We do have a number of stick-on plastic hooks appropriately placed to hang towels and things on.

I really thought that someone would have a modified furnace duct. The exhaust fan in the bathroom was closest to such. I can't imagine that exhausting fan would pull enough air to dry the free hanging towels.

Temperature and humidity are the independent variables, and sometimes we have little control of them. Dry climates help, but we rarely are in one.

David, am I Scamping?
Old 09-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: Shopping
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Really, Install towel bars UNDER the cabinets.
They will be out of the way, but fully functional.
I have installed them in the Scamp and the 5th wheel and they have been very useful.
Connie uses them to hang towels and also hangers with those things that she doesn't want to dry in the electric dryer.(we have a washer and dryer in the 5th wheel)

Like over the side table and over foot and head of the bed area?, blocking windows? Got a picture?

David, am I Scamping?
Old 09-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #25

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
You don't take thick towels camping, thinking things must be done the same way as at home will lead to frustration. So what if your towel is not thick and does not feel exactly the same? You will still get dry despite that. What the difference amounts to is one minute out of your day when you don't feel exactly the same as you do at home. It is just not that big of a deal to compromise on.

I car camped in France for a whole month. My towels were microfiber and they were a generous sized wash cloth. I used two of them for drying myself, one for my hair and the other for my body. It was completely adequate to dry myself with. To dry them I laid them on plastic bag behind the rear seat in front of the rear window. They were fine being damp overnight before I put them out to dry, I just put them in a plastic sack for that. They are certainly small enough to wash out in a sink everyday but I took 6 of them along just in case I did not want to do so.

That is what I still use in my RV. They function as wash cloths, bath towels, dish towels, misc washing cloths, etc. A stack of them takes up very little space. Do I enjoy a big fluffy towel to dry off with? sure...do I really have to have one?...no. A good pillow, now that is important as without it I would wake up grumpy with a sore neck and my whole day would be a lot less happy. But a towel choice does not have much of an impact on my day unless it took up a lot of room and added way too much moisture into the air contributing to issues such as mildew and needing big amounts of drying space and a lot of heat to dry it with.

I will leave the glamping towels behind.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #26

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
The frame of our first-up type canopy is perfect for hanging towels.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #27
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
We put 2 pieces of PVC on our bike rack.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #28

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
I suppose if one was clever you could rig a hydronic heated towel rack using the existing hot water heater supply. The towel racks are ready made for purchase but the fittings needed to pipe the hot water to it would have to be found. If you are handy with plumbing you might be able to DIY it.