Drying damp towels? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Drying damp towels?

Generally the only way we dry our shower towels, or dish towels, is to hang them out in the sun.
But, what if there is no sun? Or the campground does not permit a clothes line?
Have you any ingenious methods for drying towels?
A directed vent from the furnace into the bath/shower closet? Somehow use the vent fan blowing in onto a suspended rack???
What do you do?
����

Dave S
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsironi View Post
Generally the only way we dry our shower towels, or dish towels, is to hang them out in the sub
N. But, what if there is no sun? Or the campground does not permit a clothes line?
Have you any ingenious methods for drying towels?
A directed vent from the furnace into the bath/shower closet? Somehow use the vent fan blowing in onto a suspended rack? .??
What do you do?
����

Dave S
Change the type of towel you use. I bought a couple of high tech towels that dry fast, small, and are more like a sponge than a terry cloth towel.
Once again you're camping not living is an anchored house. Think outside the house (box).

Look at stores like REI. What do the backpackers do?
Old 09-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
What I've seen done is a clothes line rack on the back bumper, home made of course. Saw this on a few trailers at a Scamp rally. They used two adjustable flag pole holders, like you would put on the outside wall of your house. One on each end of the bumper, angled out slightly from vertical. Some PVC pipe in each one and across at the top ends, and a few lines across to hang towels or whatever on. Now does this qualify as a not allowed clothes line, I don't know. At least it's not a rope strung between trees. We have an aluminum clothes rack, folds out and slides to widen it. Technically it's not a clothes line. All depends as to how fussy the campground is, and how discreet you can be. We have hung towels on awning guy ropes and off the framework of an easy-up type canopy. Never got a complaint.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
We usually hang ours on hooks in the bath/shower; sometimes we'll hang them out on the awning arm for a few hours.

The hooks in our shower have suction cups and actually hold very well. We got them from Escape when we picked up our trailer last fall. I think IKEA has similar products that people say work well.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:59 AM   #5
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
David,
We went with this Goodwill find... It's a foldable drying rack for dorms and apartments. I added a couple of mounting brackets that would interface with our bellyband and now when we reach our destination I can hang it anywhere around the perimeter of the Parkliner.
Looks good and works fantastic!
Attached Images

Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:02 AM   #6
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Here is what it looks like closed.
Attached Images

Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
We put towel bars under the cabinets in our Scamp and 5th wheel to dry towels and hang clothes that need to dry on hangers.
Pretty handy and don't get in the way when not being used.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I have a few hooks that are attached to the underside of the loft overhang and I string a line or hang a bar there. Works rain or shine. Also I have some hooks inside, so I can have a line front to back in the galley and leave it there if we are out on a hike. Otherwise the oven door handle is the default for the dish towels.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
drying towels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
David,
We went with this Goodwill find... It's a foldable drying rack for dorms and apartments. I added a couple of mounting brackets that would interface with our bellyband and now when we reach our destination I can hang it anywhere around the perimeter of the Parkliner.
Looks good and works fantastic!
: so what do u do when it is raining out side to keep them from getting wet as that is what this is about?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
We have always had a shower curtain rod which can adjust to length across the cabinets. Now with our Bigfoot, we even have an extra long one we found at bed and bath that goes all the way across the Bigfoot next to the front table if we need privacy on the spare front bed
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #11

Name: Katrina
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: so what do u do when it is raining out side to keep them from getting wet as that is what this is about?
Stude
What we have done in the past is hang the wet towels on a foldable towel rack under the awning, that way they don't get wet.
KatZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #12

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Inside of our camper, we have kept an adjustable tension shower rod going widthwise...it lives just below our back shelves but can move anywhere as needed. Works excellently, especially when we travel-- a couple of clothespins keep the towels from sliding off.

When parked, we have a clothesline that we made from PVC. It sits in the open top of the spare tire holder. Never had a campground yet tell us it's not admissable and we've used it for many years.

There's a photo in my listing in the registry.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Oops...I lied. No photo in my registry listing. But I will get one there!!

Amended----I KNEW I had previously uploaded photos of the clothesline we use.....it wasn't under the Registry. It is in an album in my profile. Check "all albums" and it is there.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We put ours over the seats in our tow vehicle. If we are leaving, then they are moved to a line inside the trailer or over our outside chairs and under the awning.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
We put ours over the seats in our tow vehicle. If we are leaving, then they are moved to a line inside the trailer or over our outside chairs and under the awning.
Thats what I also do on warm but damp days. A vehicle will also get warm inside when closed up.

I find that leaving any towels hanging on a single hook do not dry well in the trailer even in warm weather and its worse if they are left hanging in the bathroom. Have found hey do much better with hung on actual towel bar - just need to remember to flip them over on the bar at some point in the day. I have used towel bars with suction cups on the outside of the bathroom door & I use an over the cabinet door towel bar for the kitchen towels.

In warm weather I do use terrycloth towels but in colder damp weather when its hard to dry towels I use fast drying towels - such as back packers use - one that I like is the Ultra Fast Dry Towel.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Since I replaced the passive vent in my bathroom with a powered vent (read FAN), I now just hang my towel on a hook on the inside of the bathroom door and close the door, leaving the small exhaust fan on. It dries in a few hours and I have a small hand towel to use in the meantime.

Walt
Old 09-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Change the type of towel you use. I bought a couple of high tech towels that dry fast, small, and are more like a sponge than a terry cloth towel.
Once again you're camping not living is an anchored house. Think outside the house (box).

Look at stores like REI. What do the backpackers do?
We, too, use "high tech towels". They can be quite expensive if purchased at REI as backpacker towels or elsewhere as yoga towels. I found mine in the auto section of TARGET for about $10. Granted, they are a bland grey/green color. I have also seen colorful beach towels, in the summer, that are made of "high tech" material. While these towels do dry fast there is at least one drawback, especially in the outdoors. I find, if dropped, they attract and cling to any weed, seeds, leaves, etc. Waving the towel does no good. You must remove each and every piece by hand. Sooooo, take special care not to drop your towel. I keep mine in a rip-stop nylon bag when dry. This helps to protect it from wayward debris!

We, too, find it best to drape the towels over our chairs in the tow vehicle. By the time we get back from our day hike the towels are dry!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
We used to have a homemade PVC clothesline that went on the back bumper into two flag poles. We have never gotten around to making or getting such a thing for the new trailer but no problem. We have a line that can go from cabinet pull to cabinet pull and a clothesline on a hook that has arms which make a circle. In rare cases for large wet items, we can turn cushions over to the vinyl side and use them, or use hooks in the bathroom. We also use camping towels and sometimes put some items inside the vehicle as mentioned by others.

We are much better off without the outside line due to rain, rain and rain so many times. Also don't have problems with insects or something walking off.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #19

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
I got frustrated with trying to dry large bath towels and started to use 2 hand towels instead. One for a first dry, then one for a polish It's a lot easier to find places to hang/dry small towels.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #20

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
This is my plan for when we actually get our snoozy.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can...-Rack/21958247

We commute between 2 houses every week. Each one has an outside umbrella clothesline that can only be used in winter (dry season) In the city we have a separate dryer and at the lake we have an all-in-one combo washer/dryer, VENTED. We prefer not to use it most of the time for drying and we hang everything on a dollar general clothing rack. Towels are clipped to skirt hangers to hang dry. Sheets are clipped to 4 skirt hangers. My plan for the camper is to have the tripod dryer for hang drying, outside if nice, inside if not. I have this for laundry https://thescrubba.com/collections/all
as well as this Columbus Washboard Company – Columbus Washboard Co.
which I used all summer thru 2004 as we didn't have electricity except for a couple of weeks between the hurricanes.
And this is what I carry for detergent when travelling.
WashEZE 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets Edited to add, they do have a free sample program.
Betcha you're sorry you asked now! :-)