Drying your White Hose - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I always flush out my hose before I connect to the trailer. Always. And afterward, I drop one end on the ground and coil it up from the other end to empty it. That doesn't really empty it completely, I know, but I'm not willing to be a slave to the hose and hang it up. Screw the two ends together to keep bugs and dirt out.

I've never had a problem beyond the possible chemical taste that I now flush out before every use

If you are worried about it, just a few drops of bleach put in before you screw the ends together will take care of any growth. This will also take care of the in-line water filter that also in not dry and maybe even the regulator, if you include it too.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #22

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
I'm blue....

I like this thing so much I should look and buy a spare in case it ever blows up.... I just put it away as shown....flush it out before hooking up...then drain, put back in holder and that's it.....I had it hooked up for two months once (living in the trailer)...these days I use it for filling up and that's about it (don't normally stay hooked up)
Attached Thumbnails
hose2.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #23

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I'v been known to drink straight from the hose. Seems some people worry too much.
Shades of Bacchus!
Old 09-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Can't say I worry about drying the hose, I do however sterilize it once or twice a year like the fresh water in the trailer.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Me thinks some people create problems and solutions where there is NO problem.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #26

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Well said!
Old 09-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #27

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Well, that's obvious, but look at the number of responses. Whooda thunk it?
Old 09-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Our water operation.

We also bought a white drinking water hose.
While hooked up in Taidnapam, we were sitting outside Homelet, luckily, and suddenly heard water running. Turns out a connection inside gave way, and if we had gone for a walk or otherwise been away, we would have had an egg bathtub.
We eventually decided to use a couple of apple juice gallon jugs and get our drinking water that way at the Glacier water dispensers.
For porta-potti water, we use the site spigot, and a 1/2 gallon juice container with a hole drilled in the top. Does a better job than using the pump on the pp. Plus removes the need to empty for freezing weather.
For washing dishes. I take my biggest pot out, fill it about 3/4 full, place it on the stove and when it is hot, put dish soap in the sink, pour some hot water in, wash the dishes in the sink, rinse in the pot.
So my hint is: if you are going to be away from your rig, with the water connected, turn the water off at the spigot. Also a pressure regulator is a good idea.
As far as drying the hose, if you have a flag pole at your house, just lift it up for a few minutes letting the ends hang down.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #29

Smith Valley, Nevada
Roger,

Your advice is especially useful for boaters. A lot of boats have sunk because of a broken fitting while connected to shore water.
The smarter boaters, fill a tank aboard and have a pump. I gambled a bit by leaving mine hooked up to shore water. Usually just shut it off when leaving for the night.

A very good way to break a fitting, even while using a regulator, is to turn on the water heater. As the water heats and expands the pressure rises until it pops the relief valve. This can be at about 125 PSI or so! Water can't back out through a conventional pressure reducing valve.

I noticed this happening on mine recently and decided to install an expansion tank. If there is no air in the system, the pressure will get out of control with a tank type water heater.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #30

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
This ecology center researches toxic chemicals in everyday items and did hoses. Some of the white potable water hoses got dinged BUT (pretty big but too) they test brand new with water allowed to sit in the sun for "a few days" In short they pick up essentially unwashed fresh off the factory floor condition. Leave it in the hot sun to leach as much as possible into the water. Not exactly representative, I don't know about you but I wash new cooking utensils before use because I'm pretty sure manufacturing leaves a residue. And our RV hoses are only new once. It does make good sense to flush them when new or before use.

Gardening Water Hoses | Ecology Center

Last but not least the ppm levels of most metals is really low, except in the fittings. which show either Tin and Antimony which are lead free solder. Tin, lead and antimony are regular solder. I noted that the amounts shown were just about perfect percentages for solder, I know the elements of solder don't leach in even amounts so I have to assume they are just stating the elements that make up the hose connector and the relative amounts. Chrome, brass, solder.

It is highly unlikely lead, tin, antimony, chrome or brass would leach in those amounts from sitting in the sun. Especially not what looks like close to 60/40 solder with a small percentage of antimony as hardener in amounts that maintain the ratios fairly close. I could see some brass or chrome "dust" from machining operations needing to be rinsed off but again, brass doesn't dissolve in hot water very fast. Not even in a few days of sitting in the sun with stagnant water in them.

They found toxic stuff in the white hoses, the green hoses, essentially if it's made from plastic and metal it will have plastic and metal "toxins" present. White hoses tested by them only used lead free solder (tin/antimony) but the antimony was in much higher amounts, which is typical of lead free solder.

There appeared to be some cheap hoses with lead in the plastic, I believe I have read of that metal being present in plastic, in the context of LED light rope plastic hose.

Me I'm gonna drink brown liquor or wine and just use the water for bathing. Beer might not be safe water so I'm taking no chances. Best shot I have at living forever is to avoid drinking water. So many of my water drinking friends have passed away over the years...
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #31

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Huh. I thought the culprit in fatalities was milk. Turns out one thing everyone who died before us drank was milk.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Actually, the single most common factor in death, is birth.
Yer welcome.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #33

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Actually, the single most common factor in death, is birth.
Yer welcome.
Yeah I was going to give that up too but there was so much paperwork involved in that process I decided to just change my name, and lie about my age.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #34

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I coil my water hose up onto a nice coil about 16 - 18" diameter, and secure it with velcro straps. Then I "roll" the water out by turning the coil around & around until water stops coming out. Then I use perforated caps that screw on to the threads (both ends) - they're captive with leashes - and the perforations let the hose dry out/breathe, and keep insects out.

But I do like the alcohol flush idea...wonder if gin would work, along with some lime juice and tonic?
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote