Drying your White Hose - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp - Gently Used
Kentucky
Drying your White Hose

We just bought our 13" Scamp and purchased a white hose for the water line.
We have arrived home and getting things sorted out. I was wondering how owners dry their white hose apres trip.

TIA
RogueIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I've never been concerned about drying out the inside of my water hose . When breaking camp I let the hose drain out when I roll it up and then store it in a plastic tub.
The next time I hookup I flush out the hose with fresh water.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:17 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
screw the ends together and forget about it is all I do. When hooking up at a campsite, turn on the site water faucet before connecting your hose to flush out any spiders or insects that got in it, then you could connect the hose to the spigot, run a little water through it if you like, then connect to the trailer. Starting at the site spigot I use a pressure regulator, then a filter, then the hose, and a 90 degree fitting at the trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Sometimes, I pour a small amount of bleach in the hose before connecting the ends for storage. Then, I run water through the hose before filling the tank to flush out the bleach. I always use bottled water for drinking and most cooking.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Regular garden hose bleeds chemicals into the water passing through it, not a big concern unless the water has been sitting in the hose for a while and you can get past the taste/odor.
The white hose is more inert so there is less bleed and thus odor and taste aren't noticeable.
I drain my hoses after each use and screw the ends together before I store them. The next time I use them I flush some water through them when I connect to the supply but before I connect to my trailer. Works for me.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You don't need to worry about it and here is why.

Mold needs food to grow and that food is dirt. So keep the ends out of the dirt and rinse the inside if it does get the threaded end into the dirt. No dirt equals no mold inside. Clean water does not grow mold so there is no need to dry out a hose that only has clean water in it.

Algae needs light to grow, the inside of your hose is dark so that is never going to be an issue.

clean water gets stored for many years for disaster relief, so again you have nothing to worry about as far as drying out a hose.

Do follow peoples excellent instructions about rinsing before storage and before use and screwing the ends together to keep out critters and dirt while the hose is stored.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #7

Kentucky
Thank you

Thanks Everyone. I appreciate the input. I will absolutely follow the suggestions
Old 09-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Drying white hose

I'm with you. drying the white (water) hose is a good idea. I now use 10-ft white hose. I have 3 (total 30-ft) that I connect together when needed. I hang up in the garage for a few days after each trip to insure they are dry. For storage I connect the end which keeps the bugs and dirt out.

As a side note most RV park do require more than a 10-ft hose and they are easier to handle when packing up.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #9

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
Hose

I fling mine over the top of my Casita when I get home, as I also do my stinky slinky...leave them overnight then screw the ends together and store. It hangs over nicely without touching the driveway.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
screw the ends together and forget about it is all I do. When hooking up at a campsite, turn on the site water faucet before connecting your hose to flush out any spiders or insects that got in it, then you could connect the hose to the spigot, run a little water through it if you like, then connect to the trailer. Starting at the site spigot I use a pressure regulator, then a filter, then the hose, and a 90 degree fitting at the trailer.
Screwing the ends together invites bacteria to grow. The hose needs to dry to prevent this. Just roll up the hose and put it in a tub with the other necessary water items or in a bag that breathes.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #11

Colorado
[QUOTE=Jann Todd;659615]
Quote:
Screwing the ends together invites bacteria to grow. The hose needs to dry to prevent this. Just roll up the hose and put it in a tub with the other necessary water items or in a bag that breathes.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Algae, mold, bacteria, chemical bleed, I'm so worried now that I'm going to buy several hoses and after every time we use the trailer just throw away the hose and use a new one next trip. three or four hoses a year isn't a big expense after all. Disconnecting the hose for a few hours to move to another campground should be alright though?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:10 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Algae, mold, bacteria, chemical bleed, I'm so worried now that I'm going to buy several hoses and after every time we use the trailer just throw away the hose and use a new one next trip. three or four hoses a year isn't a big expense after all. Disconnecting the hose for a few hours to move to another campground should be alright though?
We've used hoses for years by draining them, rolling up without twisting them and putting them in a hose bag leaving it open some while in the back of our unit. The only time we had a funky smelling hose was when we screwed the ends together. Always use an RV white hose because garden hoses have lead and other bad things in them and you don't want to rinse a toothbrush, drink from them or put water in your tanks from them. A hose properly taken care of will last for years. Every spring we put bleach through the hose and into our tank to sterilize both and let the tank set for a few hours. Then drain and rinse well and you can drink from your tank even.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Amen, Carl. It's not something we've ever worried about.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I'v been known to drink straight from the hose. Seems some people worry too much.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #16

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Clorox and water in the hose to disinfect B 4 Use.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:48 AM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
How do most folks drain their city water pipes after use? ...Oh.

PS, if you don't have or care for the taste of bleach, a pint of Jack Daniels will also sterilize your white hose. Don't worry, be happy!

Here's a helpful hint: This Fall winterize your rig by pouring Jack Daniels in the pipes, and you'll really look forward to next Spring. In the Spring, just catch it in a glass with ice!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:39 AM   #18

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post

PS, if you don't have or care for the taste of bleach, a pint of Jack Daniels will also sterilize your white hose. Don't worry, be happy!
I've never been a fan of the sour mash taste but you did make me consider a quick run through with Bacardi 151
Old 09-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #19

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
You don't need to worry about it and here is why.

Mold needs food to grow and that food is dirt. So keep the ends out of the dirt and rinse the inside if it does get the threaded end into the dirt. No dirt equals no mold inside. Clean water does not grow mold so there is no need to dry out a hose that only has clean water in it.

Algae needs light to grow, the inside of your hose is dark so that is never going to be an issue.

clean water gets stored for many years for disaster relief, so again you have nothing to worry about as far as drying out a hose.

Do follow peoples excellent instructions about rinsing before storage and before use and screwing the ends together to keep out critters and dirt while the hose is stored.
Water can be stored for years because no air enters into the sealed container. Hoses have air in them and causes bacteria if not dry. That is why screwing the ends together causes bacteria in a wet hose. If completely dry then ends can be screwed together safely.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #20

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
ahhhh....to screw or not to screw! THAT is the question.

I am so confused.

theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote