Duel fuel inverter generators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #1

Name: Karla
Trailer: Boler
CO
Duel fuel inverter generators

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on portable duel fuel inverter generators? I’m looking to purchase a one but have not heard or seen many reviews out there. Especially concerned about how the propane works at higher altitudes. There are not a lot of choices out there for smaller 2000-2400 watt duel fuel generators so any info would be appreciated. Right now I’m considering the sidekick made by duramax.
Buddahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:29 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahue View Post
I am wondering if anyone has any advice on portable duel fuel inverter generators? I’m looking to purchase a one but have not heard or seen many reviews out there. Especially concerned about how the propane works at higher altitudes. There are not a lot of choices out there for smaller 2000-2400 watt duel fuel generators so any info would be appreciated. Right now I’m considering the sidekick made by duramax.
It took me maybe 15 or 20 minutes to install a propane “conversion” kit on my Honda EU2000i a couple of years ago. It now is a dual fuel generator. You can easily find these kits with Google. I cannot respond to high altitude performance of propane because Florida is not high altitude. I only use it for emergency situations, not day-to-day RVing, and I typically run it using my trailer’s QD connection. On gasoline (@1/2 gallon tank) the Honda will only run 4 hours at max power draw but a 20-pound propane tank will keep it running for many hours, or perhaps 3 full nights.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:05 AM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I can't speak from experience on LP generators, but one problem with gasoline generators is the gasoline and the handling and storage of the liquid.
LP gas would be kept in the already mounted LP tank and I assume would as safe as any currently installed LP accessories.
I have a Harbor Freight Predator 2500 and I have found a way to extend the run time by pulling the fuel tank vent line from the air cleaner and attaching a small diameter line to a fuel storage can and letting the suction from the onboard fuel pump draw fuel into the generator tank.
Honda have available caps that utilize the vent to do the same thing which is where I got the idea for my setup.
I tested this over the Ham Winter Field Day last weekend and it worked fine.
My thought is that a 1/4" nylon tube could perhaps be run into the TV gas tank to feed the generator in lieu of having to have a separate fuel tank to deal with.
Perhaps a replacement cap for the TV with a hole drilled in it for the line.
I don't know if the modern anti-siphon protection would preclude it's use or not - yet.
On the plastic gas "can" I just ran the tube down the pouring spout and it worked for me.
Gasoline is quite a bit cheaper and easier to refill than LP gas.
In the case of emergency response I am setting up for extra gas would still be needed so there is that issue anyway.
Perhaps an outboard motor fuel tank would be the best compromise for extra fuel
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here's a picture of the carb from my Honda 1000i generator. I generally "exercise" it every two of three months and I added Stabil to the gas. But, I got gas, somehow, with water in it.

Drain gas for storage and make sure to run the carb dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Carb Honda.jpg  
Old 01-30-2019, 03:58 PM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Propane at high altitude

I live above 6,000 Ft, any internal, normally asperated engine loses more than 20% of it's power at this attitude. Propane has less energy in it so running on propane at any altitude reduces the engines output power. The other issue this time of year is that propane does not turn from liquid to gas below a certain temperature.

So yes, the engine will run on propane at this attitude during the fall, spring, and summer, but you will not get the rated watts out of it. The other issue is cooling, because the air is less dense at this altitude, the air cooled engine runs hotter.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoepner View Post
I live above 6,000 Ft, any internal, normally asperated engine loses more than 20% of it's power at this attitude. Propane has less energy in it so running on propane at any altitude reduces the engines output power. The other issue this time of year is that propane does not turn from liquid to gas below a certain temperature.
Again, I cannot speak to performance at altitude because my Honda EU2000i has never been outside of Florida in the time I have owned it, and the floor of my house is 200 feet above sea level.
And while it is true that propane contains less energy per gallon than gasoline, and natural gas even less than propane, I can unequivocally say running the Honda 2000 on propane does not result in any loss of available wattage in comparison to gasoline, at least at this altitude. I do know that one can sense reduced power propane fueled road vehicles however(at least in my experience). I don’t think I would want to tow a trailer with a propane vehicle (one of the local propane companies has a fleet of propane fueled pickup trucks. Running on propane, I can operate my air conditioner which draws around 16 amps to start, and 14 amps to run. It is an 11,500 Dometic Penguin with a digital thermostat, and when it starts the fan comes on and about 5 seconds later the compressor kicks in. I do not, however, try to run anything else. It simply provides an air conditioned space in which to sleep during an extended power outage after one of the rare (ha-ha!) Florida hurricanes occur. You don’t want to try to sleep in the summer months in Florida without A/C, unless you are a glutton for punishment. Fortunately, I have only had to use my Honda for this purpose once, for three consecutive nights.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:00 AM   #7

Name: marty
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Ok if u go to UTUBE put in generator conversion to propane, it will show you how to do it.
kayaker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Duel fuel inverter generators
I am sure you meant dual fuel.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:13 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We recently purchased a dual fuel generator
Runs great on propane , probably will never run it on gas
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
do note, it takes 25% more propane to create the same amount of power as a given amount of gasoline. a full 5G LP bottle is about equiv to 4 gallons of gas. "20 lb" propane bottles actually hold about 4.7G, so thats about 3.75G of gas.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:29 PM   #11

Name: Dan
Trailer: Escape
Indiana
I have a Champion 3,200 Dual Fuel Generator

Quote:
As you can already see from the responses of others there are pro's and con's for either fuel. I choose the champion because it more than compensates for the difference in the fuel power (LP -vs- Gas). I just do not wish to carry gasoline with me in cans wile I travel however I have run the generator on gas for local trips where I did not expect to use a full tank. My complaint is the weight of the 3,200 generator and I'm sure I'll down size to a small unit sometime in the future for that reason only.

I have only camped where I needed a generator two time in the past 2 seasons so it's not a big deal to me but that may change when I retire and spend more time traveling and camping.

Good luck with your decision and happy camping to you.

Dan
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator