dull spot on the roof.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2008, 05:36 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hi all...

I made a big mistake last weekend....I attempt to removed some pine resin on the roof of our Scamp 13' 2005, but I did some dull spot after all. I used a scotch brite ( green ) and lighter fuel. All the resin was gone but NOW I see dull spot at a few place. You really see a big difference between the gel coat and where I removed the resin. I try to wax it 2 times with Meguiare marine flagship ( black bottle ) without good result.

What can I do ???? I read alot about compound but I'm not sure if it the right way to go for my roof. Do I need to but some gloss product on my spot....or I need to compound ???

Anybody did a mistake like mine....and what you did ???

Thanks a lot for your help....great forum.

Pat
PatJul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
You may need to polish it to get the shine back. As long as it is waxed and protected, my inclination would be not to climb up and look at it.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
It sounds like you've scratched the surface with the pad. Green is fairly coarse.

Polishing and/or buffing compound will remove/reduce the scratching but I expect it would be a little tricky. Polishing just the scratched areas might have you trade having dull spots to having shiny spots (compared to the rest of the trailer).

I expect a car finish pro would use a slightly heavier compound on the scratched area and then go over everything with a lighter compound. I expect that there would be power buffers involved and for an amateur like myself there'd plenty of opportunity to put swirl marks into the finish. But going slowly and not pressing too hard I might make things better.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #4

I would give a try to the compound...there so much choice, deep scratch, lite srcatch, heavy oxidation, etc.....maybe start with a lite compound.???

Quote:
It sounds like you've scratched the surface with the pad. Green is fairly coarse.

Polishing and/or buffing compound will remove/reduce the scratching but I expect it would be a little tricky. Polishing just the scratched areas might have you trade having dull spots to having shiny spots (compared to the rest of the trailer).

I expect a car finish pro would use a slightly heavier compound on the scratched area and then go over everything with a lighter compound. I expect that there would be power buffers involved and for an amateur like myself there'd plenty of opportunity to put swirl marks into the finish. But going slowly and not pressing too hard I might make things better.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
I use a product from CTC called "NUFINISH". Ihave used this equally well to keep the shine on a boat and three passed cars, my pick-up and the wifes Honda. Half the cost of the big brand names and does the same job. I usually clean the whole trailer each spring with it and it keeps it looking good all sumer. It will also remove the small scratches from the plastic curved windows and keeps the glass ones looking good.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #6

It's hard to understand the gel coat himself....When the trailer is made, there a couple of layer of gel coat or is a deep one layer...how is the result of a gloss finish after mold.......?????? when you scatch it, you scatch only the surface layer ???? I'll try a smal spot compound.....will see.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #7

I just came back from polishing my scamp....I try the 3M restorer & wax ( one step ) with a good result...the deep scratch i made with the scotch brite ( green ) is still there but on the surface the result is glossy and this rubbing compound did a great job for my kind of scratch. I polish one coat with the meguire marine wax after i made the compound and it almost invisible......No dull surface anymore...!!!!!
I'M REALLY HAPPY NOW.....