Dumb questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Actually Brian, I only have one extra terminal left on the 9-pin Pollak, and the multi-pin camera connector is housed in a spare old 7-pin. (My goal is to have an array of those little black things strung throughout the bumper area). All seriousness aside, the 9-pin is actually more of a trucker's connector, as one of my catalogs mention, even though externally it looks the same as a 7-pin. Biggest advantage was that two of the pins actually accepted my 6-gauge charge line and the ground line. My extra line could control a motor oil dump valve (as in 007).

Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #16
Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
If it's connected to the positive terminal on the battery, then it's likely the charge wire. Disconnect it from the battery, connect the trailer to the tow vehicle and see if there's something like 12V on it.

Just because a battery seems fully charged because the voltage is up there, it still may not be good. Charge it with a battery charger, disconnect it, let it sit for a day or so and test again.

Amazingly, the battery in my '98 Ranger is the original Ford factory battery and it stills "seems" to be good, because it always starts the truck. However, it has one of those charge indicator gizmos in it where either a red or green ball shows and the red ball is almost always showing, plus the engine always starts right up, even in cold weather, so the battery never has to really work -- I expect it to die any day and if I was really smart I'd replace it, but I am curious as to how long it will work.

Hmm, if it was an AGM, I'd really be bragging about it going nine years already
I have a 98 Mazda (190km) that I took the original battery out of last September just before going on holidays. The green indicator was still showing but we were going into Maine and I didn't want the battery to give me trouble in some remote area so I changed it the night before we left. The next morning when I went to hook up the trailer the truck wouldn't start. My first thought was the new battery was no good, but when I tried the headlights the battery was obviously not the problem. The external cable between the solenoid and the starter was burned through. I guess the new battery was that much stronger that it was able to melt an already weak cable.
It was at first kind of frustrating and then I thought what a fantastic break to have this happen in the driveway at home instead of a couple days later on a rainy day in Maine. Sometimes a bad thing works out real well.

Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I actually knew someone who would drive down a dirt road, with a cord attached to the black and gray tank dump valves, and dump the tanks... Not cool IMHO.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #18
Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
I think I'll take Per's oil anytime . Bet it kept the dust down, tho . . .

Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote