Dumping tanks and bath window leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Dumping tanks and bath window leak

Hi all,

New to this site and have a couple of questions.

I am new to the RV ownership world (although I have rented several times) and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of a beauty of a 2010 fiver this weekend. Been looking to purchase for quite some time and have finally decided to take the plunge!!

First of all, I have never seen a rig with separate valves to dump the grey and black tanks. Wondering about two things... one is how does one manage to move the hose to the grey valve after freshly dumping the black tank? With great care I would imagine, but perhaps there are other helpful tips here. Also, has anyone done a modification to tie the two values together?

There is also evidence of leaking around the bathroom window. The unit has a side bath floor plan. The person I am purchasing from says this a very common problem with Scamps, but I have yet to find a post on this forum regarding this specific bathroom window issue.

Any feedback on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

As a new Scamp owner, I am looking forward to gleaning a wealth of information from the good and helpful folks posting on this forum. I have already discovered some juicy ideas to remodel the gaucho/loft area!!
Peter S. in Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
About the tanks, carefully I suppose. When I first read about the bathroom window leak I carefully examined my bathroom wall and noticed bubbles in the wallboard which may be indicative of water intrusion, or not. My floor underneath shows no signs of trouble so I am not too worried about it. Welcome and good luck with your Scamp!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
First thing, I would use gloves of course.

I have a black and grey tank. I ALWAYS either use the city water OR leave water in the fresh tank when dumping. After fulling dumping the black tank, I have the wife to run more water in the black tank...dump again.

Let it drain as best as you can then simply move it to the grey water tank. Sure, some is going to drip as you move it but it's also going to when you take it off to put it away anyway. I PROMISE you it wont cause any earthquakes when this happens! I do use that opportunity when I'm dumping the grey to "bounce" the hose some and help slosh the water around inside it to help flush out any remaining black water.

The worst-case scenario to me is when you have to go to a busy dump station. I hate that...when people are lined up behind you. But....

People really get the heebie geebies over this. It's just life. This may not be what you were looking for...but it's my take on it.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The dump station will almost always have a hose to rinse down your stinky slinky and the drain pad. Use it when switching.
Always do your gray water last, which will give you a final rinse before storage. I still rinse it with the hose anyway.
Also I always fill and rinse my blackwater tank with fresh water before disconnect, unless I'm using my blueboy.
With a little practice you will find this task simple and you will soon be undaunted.
Also use ODORLOS tank treatment which will liquify the solids and make tank maintenance much easier...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #5

Iowa
Thanks Tim. That was kind of my take on it as well, but I will be keeping an eye out for further spreading of any damage.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

Iowa
Hey Darral. No heebie jeebies here! Just looking for some advice from experience Scamp owners. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #7

Iowa
Thanks Floyd. I'm sure in time it will be no problem at all!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #8

Name: rick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Colorado
My front bath window has leaked for years, but only when driving in a hard rain. As near as I can see, it only gets the shower enclosure wet. I don't see any other damage, so I live with it and clean the shower stall when it gets spotted from the leak.
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #9

Iowa
Thanks Rick. I think the leak problem in mine may be more serious. There is visible damage to the wall radiating about 3 inches or so all around the window. Like I said, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #10

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Peter: Remember to remove the cap off the end of your stinky slinky BEFORE you insert it into the dump station opening and opening the trailer black/grey water valve...you'll only forget once!

Rinse off your rubber gloves with the fresh water at the station before removing them. I keep a container of handi-wipes available too.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #11

Iowa
Thanks Marilyn. Good info -- especially about forgetting only once!!!
Old 07-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Peter: Remember to remove the cap off the end of your stinky slinky BEFORE you insert it into the dump station opening and opening the trailer black/grey water valve...you'll only forget once!

Rinse off your rubber gloves with the fresh water at the station before removing them. I keep a container of handi-wipes available too.
I keep a box of these in the trailer. Many uses including when dumping the tanks. Take them off so they're now inside out, dump in the trash and then some hand sanitizer.

Amazon.com: Dynarex Black Latex Exam Gloves, Powder-Free, XL, Box/100: Health & Personal Care
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #13

Do NOT get the cheapie green CAMCO brand gloves from Camping World! They are virtually USELESS. Wayyy too thin and easily rips and wont stand a dumping no matter how careful you are. Save your money. Here's the link to the ones to AVOID:
RV Sanitation Gloves - Camco 40585/40283 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I keep a box of these in the trailer. Many uses including when dumping the tanks. Take them off so they're now inside out, dump in the trash and then some hand sanitizer.

Amazon.com: Dynarex Black Latex Exam Gloves, Powder-Free, XL, Box/100: Health & Personal Care
Old 07-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #14

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Do NOT get the cheapie green CAMCO brand gloves from Camping World! They are virtually USELESS. Wayyy too thin and easily rips and wont stand a dumping no matter how careful you are. Save your money. Here's the link to the ones to AVOID:
RV Sanitation Gloves - Camco 40585/40283 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World
From the picture on their site they do look might thin. The ones I use from Amazon don't tear , at least I've not had a problem.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #15

Hey "ole man"

I bookmarked your link. I like those and they're reasonably priced! Thanks for posting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
From the picture on their site they do look might thin. The ones I use from Amazon don't tear , at least I've not had a problem.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I've been using the ones from HF for years. Never really had a problem with them ripping until those left in the box were a couple years old.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I use heavy duty, lined gloves, the largest size I could get. They are easy to slip hands into and I appreciate them on cold days. Rinse them off and store them in the shower.

Tip: Drive as close as possible to the dump station and stop so the wheel is lined up with the dump. That way the stinky slinky reaches both outlets without moving the rig. First black, then gray.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I don't use gloves when I use the toilet, I simply try to not to get any waste on my hands , then I wash my hands when I'm done just to be sure.
Same policy applies when I empty the black and gray tanks.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Wouldn't it make sense to have the black and grey pipes meet up prior to the slinky connection?
Attached Thumbnails
Black and grey.jpg  
Old 07-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #20

Iowa
Exactly what I was thinking Glenn. I'm surprised that apparently no one on this forum has undertaken this project on a Scamp. At least no one has posted having done it.

May be on the top of my list.....

Peter

Tags
scamp