Duo-Therm 66100 piezo ignitor replacement - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Name: geoff
Trailer: bigfoot
Duo-Therm 66100 piezo ignitor replacement

This is not a good weekend! We are booked to be a Good Spirit Lake SK today, but due to the rainfall warning, we are at home sulking.

I figured this would be a good time to test out the furnace as it's the only appliance I haven't tried out yet since buying our 1981 Bigfoot last year. It has a Duo-Therm 66100 Series Gas-Fired Fan Type Direct Vent Wall Furnace with a Piezo Spark Ignition Kit (part no. 3-16941). Unfortunately, I cannot get the pilot to light. THe fan does turn on when I turn on the thermostat, but there appears to be absolutely no spark when I press the ignitor... I'm at home and plugged into 110V.

Has anyone ever replaced the ignitor in one of these? Where can I find replacement parts? I've tried adventurerv.net and campingworld.ca, campkins.com... Any suggestions?

(and to kick me when I'm down - my roof is leaking at the bathroom vent, it's pouring rain, and none of the RV parts stores are open Sundays )

spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Can you hear and feel the click of the ignitor? This describes the mechanical aspect: Piezo ignition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
which gives this link showing detail on how they work

If so, I'd be looking at the placement of the electrode. If not, check your local Cdn Tire or Home depot etc. in the BBQ section for a suitable replacement. Thinking of the ones that are wired to start a BBQ, not the portable lighters shown in the link.

The good news is, the author shows you how to make one using rain water: http://rimstar.org/sdenergy/piezoele...water_rain.htm

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Try lighting the pilot manually and see if the furnace functions properly. Maybe something is blocking gas flow or power to the ignitor
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Name: geoff
Trailer: bigfoot
Lol. My bad. I took the little door off to check the placement of the electrode and discovered that what I had been staring at through the window is not the pilot at all. The pilot is off to the side, you can only see it by looking at an angle through the window. Tried it again and the pilot started the first time! And the furnace is blowing hotter than I expected.

Now to replace my leaky bathroom vent...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote