Duo-Therm heater - removing the cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
OK, so now I'm having difficulty opening the cover of the heater....

Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2916

I pull on the black knob at the bottom and it sticks at the corners. I've used WD40 - maybe I need more? Im wondering if I'm supposed to pull up on it (so it pops up) or pull it out and off completely....Again, afraid of breaking something...

I've checked the manuals in the Document center, but they dont really address anything this basic....and yes, Im starting to feel like an idiot.....

WendyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:50 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Quote:
OK, so now I'm having difficulty opening the cover of the heater....
I pull on the black knob at the bottom and it sticks at the corners. ....

I don't have the same model but I had a problem most probably similar to yours. My cover was a kind of "press fit" which was a nightmare to open especially when warm. I made a modification and added hinges and a sliding lock. Now it opens and closes like a charm.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I don't have the same model but I had a problem most probably similar to yours. My cover was a kind of "press fit" which was a nightmare to open especially when warm. I made a modification and added hinges and a sliding lock. Now it opens and closes like a charm.

Thanks! So on yours, you just pull it straight out and off altogether? It doesn't 'flip up'?
More WD40 I guess.....
WendyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Quote:
Thanks! So on yours, you just pull it straight out and off altogether? It doesn't 'flip up'?
More WD40 I guess.....
That's it! I would remove the door and check what's wrong with the hinges as it seems that you have something like hinges. WD40 surely is evaporated when you heat the trailer...
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 86 Burro 17 ft Widebody
Wendy,
That lower cover is only held in by side pressure. There are no hinges unless someone modified it. It is merely a tight fit and it will pry out. Get a wire coat hanger and bend a hook on the end, work the hook into the lower corners and tap (with your hand, away and out).
Good luck.
Rick F. D. is offline   Reply With Quote