Duotherm Pilot wont go out - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I would have to agree Gerry. A small amount of corrosion or debris could cause leakage between the sealing surfaces of the valve. They are consumable items, designed to be replaced, not repaired.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Gas fittings are cheap and easy to replace. I've seen it done many times but I would NEVER attempt it myself. That's why we have licensed gas fitters. For a few bucks you get the piece of mind of knowing you're not going to blow up.
I saw the remains of a trailer that blew up due to a gas leak. The tires were still good and there were lots of tooth picks around.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The guy you want to ask is Randy Bishop: Fiberglass RV - View Profile: Randy Bishop
He has repaired several of these furnaces.

But here is what I know. The pilot should go out when the furnace is in the off position. This is a must. If it does not, then disconnect the furnace and cap off the propane supply. The problem is likely the gas valve. Randy says he has never had to replace one. They just need to be cleaned mostly. There are replacement valves though. The problem is that they are not exact replacements. The ports are in different places, so some tube bending is required. Trillium in Calgary put one in the furnace on my first 4500. It was not cheep. Here are some links to the replacement valve:
Duo-Therm Furnace Gas Valve, Replacement 710-201MC
https://rvpartscenter.com/index.php/...&p=P1319V0S825

If you don't have a tube bender, you should probably find a gas fitter, or RV technician that can install it for you.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #24
JRC

Name: JRC
Trailer: market
Ontario
pilot not shutting off

Thank you everyone for replies.
I don't want to take a chance on a 40 year old furnace.
I will either try to find a new control valve or cap the line going to the furnace.
If I do need heat a small electric heater will work.
Reading on Mr Buddy heater - maybe thats all Ill need for the limited heat I may need or even better a wave 3 heater.
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:53 PM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
gas heat

I disconnected our furnace and piped in a wave 3 with a quick disconnect. everyone has their own comfort level with unvented heaters I have used them all my life so I am not worried using them.

top vent cracked a tad side window cracked a tad to give you replacement oxygen. I can go a long time with a 20lb tank and no battery to worry about running down!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #26

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Post #13 sums up the whole situation.. I have the same heater and have learned that no matter what - When everything is working, Off means OFF..

Sounds like a new gas controller, and given the age, a new thermocouple are in order..

And if you are at all uncomfortable around gas, get the folks at your favourite RV service center to do the job AND have them inspect/certify the whole propane while they are at it..
Old 03-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
gas stove

no doubt his gas valve is shot he got good service all those years. once you figure out the size of your gas connections it s pretty straight forward on replacement. Robertshaw makes a low profile gas valve it is designed to fit all ways but upside down. matter of fact I think I read somewhere it is rated for rv use.

took me about a month to just research the v/c gas valve and how to eliminate some of the stuff they had on the stove to get it figured out. as you said you need to test that pilot to make sure it shuts down when the gas is shut off!

a lot of repair guys will shun working on old stuff I don't know why!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote