Early Boler/Scamp Door handle disassembly - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
I just broke my Boler's door handle. The square rod had rusted and the inside latch mechanism must have frozen so that it just torqued off when I tried to open it.

Scamp's parts dept. as well as this sites Paul N. has the exact replacement available, but I'm trying to do a quick fix for now by just replacing the square rod. My inner lock assembly is riveted and I'd prefer not to drill out the rivets until later when I'm ready to properly fix the whole area. The photo on Paul N.'s site shows a locking screw on the inner handle. Has anyone taken theirs apart and found this same locking screw on their original inner handle? If it's their I'll definitely have to replace the rivets, otherwise I'll just spray in some penetrating oil and tap out the broken square rod.

It's interesting that the stamped inner lock housing looks exactly the same as my original, except for the painted finish and the locking hole is smaller on the new Scamp part and not there on Paul's part.

thanks,
Kevin

Attached Thumbnails
69_Boler_door_handle_3364_re_size.jpg   69_Boler_door_handle_5004_re_size.jpg  

FGRV_PARTS_whole_handle_13.jpg   Scamp_Parts_inside_handle.jpg  

Scamp_Parts_Outside_Handle_1.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kevin a really quick fix and cheap solution is to purchase a "T" garage door handle. The shaft is the same diameter as the Scamp's... it just about three inches too long. A hack saw makes short work of that. I did that several years back and it works so well, I've never replaced it. I found the cover holes lined up perfectly too.

Garage Door T-Handle

Click image for larger version

Name:	PFKL.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	18074
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Dan Meyer explains how he did it here
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #4

Thanks Roy and Donna, looks like I have the same problem as Dan, the broken shaft is seized inside the inner lock housing. I'll try Dan's method once it warms up a bit. I'll report back with the results.

thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #5

Door handle update: Turns out the square rod was rusted securely in both the inside mechanism and the outside handle, even a few days of soaking in penetrating oil didn't help. I ended up removing it from the door and drilling/chipping it out of both ends.

I got a great tip from Roy. He mentioned that he found an old filing cabinet key that worked in his lock so I rumaged through my box of old keys at work and sure enough, I found one that more or less works.

The locking pin in the outside door lock was rusted shut, but I managed to free it by soaking it for a couple days in CLR rust remover.

The interior lock is actually spot-welded together, you can see the spot welds between the mounting screw holes. Mine wasn't too bad and a couple days of soaking/spraying with WD-40 has it working smoothly.

I still have to find some 5/16" square rod, so I might end up getting one of those garage door handles afterall.

Kevin
Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Go to any Rv store and they have those cheaper (the handles) than Scamp........save yourself the shipping and welding

Quote:
I still have to find some 5/16" square rod, so I might end up getting one of those garage door handles afterall.

Kevin
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I got a great tip from Roy. He mentioned that he found an old filing cabinet key that worked in his lock so I rumaged through my box of old keys at work and sure enough, I found one that more or less works.

Glad that worked then. Now go buy a blank and see if you can file it down to make it work better.

If you found a spare one with 401 stamped on it, I still need one for my filing cabinet.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
If you found a spare one with 401 stamped on it, I still need one for my filing cabinet.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, scamp