Easiest Way to Replace Rivets? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #15

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Thanks for that Roger. I've recorded all the different size rivets when replacing them on my '84 Scamp 13 but somehow I've 'scattered' the notes I made. I did find that the curtain rod holders required a different size rivet than the ones in the kit that I ordered from Scamp. I now have your rivet size page in my Scamp trailer file. I also do a 'dry fit' test before 'setting' the new rivet(s) and use whatever size seems appropriate for that particular job regardless of original. I've also found that many of the 3/16" rivets supplied in the Scamp Kit are overly long for the job they're intended for, especially attaching the cabinets.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Once you replace the rivets on the outside of the shell, you need to attach the acorns on the inside that hold the cabinets. Is this a two person job or do you simple fasten the new rivet on the outside and then go inside and screw on (self threading?) acorns?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 09-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Nest question, I'm purchasing a 2001 16' this weekend. It has the windows with square corners and windows crank out so as to keep rain out. I was told from the Scamp rep that they were an upgrade for a few years. There's probably ~ 30 rivets per window. Who ever owned it before the guy I'm buying it from really liked caulk. I'd like to remove the windows clean up the shell and windows, re-butyl them and put them back in. How is this a two person job? Has anyone had anyone had any experience with these window?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZimmerman View Post
Once you replace the rivets on the outside of the shell, you need to attach the acorns on the inside that hold the cabinets. Is this a two person job or do you simple fasten the new rivet on the outside and then go inside and screw on (self threading?) acorns?
Thanks,
Steve
The acorn nut does not screw onto the rivet so it is a two person job.

One person holds the acorn nut in place on the inside of the trailer while the other shoots the rivet into it from outside of the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZimmerman View Post
Nest question, I'm purchasing a 2001 16' this weekend. It has the windows with square corners and windows crank out so as to keep rain out. I was told from the Scamp rep that they were an upgrade for a few years. There's probably ~ 30 rivets per window. Who ever owned it before the guy I'm buying it from really liked caulk. I'd like to remove the windows clean up the shell and windows, re-butyl them and put them back in. How is this a two person job? Has anyone had anyone had any experience with these window?
Thanks,
Steve
Windows are ok as a one person job. I just did mine. You will want a table or workbench to work on each window flat for cleaning off old butyl and applying the new. It can be useful when removing window to have a second set of hands if you have some sticking and want to hold the partially pulled window while doing a bit more work with a putty knife to get the window free. I had no problem but my windows are lighter weight than yours and that made it easier to hold it in place with one hand while working it loose with the other.

On the acorn nuts does take two, you are outside pushing the rivet into the acorn nut on the inside as far as it will go, when the rivet shaft end expands from your tightening it grips the threads in the nut and pulls it in tight.

Not just ornamental either. The acorn nut spreads the load out around the rivet so the cabinets are not as likely to pull off the rivet or have the FG break around the rivet.