ebay selling problems - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had bid on a Scamp on ebay, the auction ended and I was the winner, problem was the auction ended 4 days early, without the knowledge of the seller. ebay contacted me and told me not to buy the trailer and the seller was suspended. I also heard from the seller and have made arrangements to pick up the trailer. So I would suggest great caution selling on ebay.
Craig Salzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Craig,

Let us know how the transaction went AFTER you pick up the trailer.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yes, and I certainly hope you're not sending any money before hand.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I had bid on a Scamp on ebay, the auction ended and I was the winner, problem was the auction ended 4 days early, without the knowledge of the seller. ebay contacted me and told me not to buy the trailer and the seller was suspended. I also heard from the seller and have made arrangements to pick up the trailer. So I would suggest great caution selling on ebay.

I hope that you have not sent this seller any money. Ebay does not suspend sellers for minor infractions. I have been contacted many times by the alleged seller of an item that I had bid on or won after the auction had ended. I was even offered second chances to buy an item that I had already purchased. I hope you were not scamed.
I have been buying and selling on ebay for over a year. I will only accept Pay Pal for a deposit and when I buy something I will only post a deposit or pay in full with Pay Pal.
I will not do business with those that do not accept Pay Pal.
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
I monitor eBay partly to just look at pictures of what people have done to their trailer, and to keep an eye open for a friend who wants one.

Several times I've see a Scamp at a price too good to be true. They say it is in some sort of escrow and they are out of country but send the money and I can get it shipped or pick up at escrow place.

Further investigation shows there is no eBay escrow, ever.
and the seller is a scammer.

I can see trying to scam on all kinds of items but this was supprising to see them try to scam with a scamp.

I saw this several times. So beware.

Quote:
I hope that you have not sent this seller any money. Ebay does not suspend sellers for minor infractions. I have been contacted many times by the alleged seller of an item that I had bid on or won after the auction had ended. I was even offered second chances to buy an item that I had already purchased. I hope you were not scamed.
I have been buying and selling on ebay for over a year. I will only accept Pay Pal for a deposit and when I buy something I will only post a deposit or pay in full with Pay Pal.
I will not do business with those that do not accept Pay Pal.
Thomas Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Craig,

Do not send any money to this person. If you cannot go in person and inspect the trailer and also check the sellers background via eBay, then you may have been scammed. It happens all the time. Avoid any second chance offers and those that will only accept Western Union.

Check with eBay about this seller and auction before you act on anything. As the others have stated, it sounds bogus.

Also, do not give this seller any personal information.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Craig,

If you haven't already, you may want to read the thread about e-Bay scams on this forum under the General Chat heading. Just click on page 13 for the most recent postings.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Yes, and I certainly hope you're not sending any money before hand.

Donna,
Camping season is just around the corner and this is the time that many people start looking for a camper. There are quite a few new members that may not be familiar with ebay scams. Possibly this would be a good timefor the group to highlite ebay and other scams.
Just a suggestion,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:03 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
There are legitiment sales on ebay and scams. I got my Scamp off of ebay, but I drove in person to where it was and I handed the cash over as the owner handed the title over. I was able to have a cousin look it over for me before I bid on it. Picked up a Fantastic Breeze fan for $68. total off of ebay recently.

If you follow some of the links on ebay there are some good articles on figuring out the scams. There are also some on the forum. Ebay can be quite slow at times in taking down the obvious scams. Here is a newly listed one. Item # 200092231785
Jim Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna,
Camping season is just around the corner and this is the time that many people start looking for a camper. There are quite a few new members that may not be familiar with ebay scams. Possibly this would be a good timefor the group to highlite ebay and other scams.
Just a suggestion,
John
John, valid point...unfortunately there's that old adage...you can lead a horse to drink....

We can all just hope that common sense takes hold and members who are looking to buy realize that IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS! Purchasing a trailer is not any different than any other major purchase. How would you handle that purchase from a distance? Members are here to help and will check out a trailer if it's feasible. And never send more money in advance than you're will to lose.

There are several good topics going, worth reading"
PLEASE READ: Referral Ads - Buying Safely, eBay, Craigslist and Other Public Ads, buySAFE info

Possible Scams in Public Ads, eBay, Craigslist, etc., Let's keep them all together

And for anyone looking to buy...here's one to help in the search:
The Official "Search Tips" Thread!, Posted by request
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Jim,
eBay Item # 200092231785 (2004 Casita 17’ LD) was a scam. It looked like a good one but of course, the seller didn’t reply to my request to look before placing a bid and it soon disappeared from my watch list. I was even able to track down the seller’s address and phone number in St. Louis but of course, he was not the owner of a Casita. What was it about this listing that gave you a clue that it was a scam?
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Jim,
eBay Item # 200092231785 (2004 Casita 17’ LD) was a scam. It looked like a good one but of course, the seller didn’t reply to my request to look before placing a bid and it soon disappeared from my watch list. I was even able to track down the seller’s address and phone number in St. Louis but of course, he was not the owner of a Casita. What was it about this listing that gave you a clue that it was a scam?

Here is another one. Note that it is mis catagorized and the seller wants direct e mail contact. In this case this is a new account instead of a hijacked account. Four bad signs: New account, wants direct e mail contact, wrong catagory and a 3 day auction. The cons are often 24 hr or 3 day auctions for the obvious reason.
Jim Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
yep.. this person is a real winner.... he has been turned in time after time and I dont understand why they wont ban him...he has been booted then turns around and goes under a different catagory.. only uses 2 pics of the Casita .. now i see the bid is well over 4K... some poor sucker will be loosing alot of money beside NOT getting a trailer !!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote