Ebay shipping costs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
Has anybody used the shipping company that listed on the ebay site to have a 13' egg shipped?

They give an estimated cost but I'm concerned that because of the height and width of the trailer there would be some outrageous "bonus charge"...

Advice much appreciated!
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
carol a,

i may not be the only one who does not know what you bought, from whom, from what part of the country, what ebay company and a few other details you were too excited to put in your post. congrats on getting an egg!
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
carol a,

i may not be the only one who does not know what you bought, from whom, from what part of the country, what ebay company and a few other details you were too excited to put in your post. congrats on getting an egg!
potteralice - I haven't bought yet, but I'm considering... I don't want to bid until I have a good idea of what the shipping costs will be if I am unable to arrange to get out there... CA to OH... a long trip! and with my car, I'll need electric brakes... so that means I have to talk the Big Brother into taking vacation time... and frankly, I just rather have it shipped!

I hope soon to be congratualated!
Old 05-27-2006, 10:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
I wouldn't consider using them (DAS) until they emailed a written quote that noted the trailer's pickup location, delivery destination, dimensions and weight.

They usually provide a quote that is based on shipping from one major shipping center to another. Not a big deal if you live in a major metropolitan area or its suburbs. BUT, if you are more remote, there can be a big difference between the door to door price and the shipping hub to shipping hub price. They have a calculator on their website but it is based on shipping a passenger vehicle. You have to call for a quote on an RV, trailer or other specialty vehicle.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
I wouldn't consider using them (DAS) until they emailed a written quote that noted the trailer's pickup location, delivery destination, dimensions and weight.

They usually provide a quote that is based on shipping from one major shipping center to another. Not a big deal if you live in a major metropolitan area or its suburbs. BUT, if you are more remote, there can be a big difference between the door to door price and the shipping hub to shipping hub price. They have a calculator on their website but it is based on shipping a passenger vehicle. You have to call for a quote on an RV, trailer or other specialty vehicle.
thanks - that's what I thought - I don't think hub to hub is a problem, but I'm guessing the shape of the egg may be what costs a bundle... I can pick it up locally - it's the cross country that is an issue...
Old 05-27-2006, 11:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It would no doubt be cheaper to go get it yourself.

What kind of car do you have? Brakes are a GREAT thing to have, but with a 13 and a decent vehicle, you can get by until you get them. Do you know IF the TRAILER has brakes. It may be mute if it doesn't.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:19 PM   #7

Quote:
It would no doubt be cheaper to go get it yourself.

What kind of car do you have? Brakes are a GREAT thing to have, but with a 13 and a decent vehicle, you can get by until you get them. Do you know IF the TRAILER has brakes. It may be mute if it doesn't.
No, the trailer doesn't have brakes and I'm driving a Pontiac Vibe (don't laugh! 1500 pounds towing capacity, longer wheelbase than the Element and a little more torque! ), but I wouldn't dare tow with it without the brakes on the trailer... and I really don't want my first towing experience to be pretty much cross country!

My brother does have the big truck with the hitch and he'd help some, but I don't think he would help quite this much!

Gina - would you hazard an opinion on this one? I think you must be the resident expert on the Burros... the price would have to stay pretty low for me to swing it with the shipping...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 05-27-2006, 11:21 PM   #8

Registry
I replied to that question in the other thread.

I forgot to mention when I was looking at a Compact Jr. in Bend Oregon, the cheapest shipping to So. Cal I could find was 900 bones. I passed on that one.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #9

Yikes! 900 bucks! you'd think something so small and light wouldn't cost much, but I guess if they can't drive it on the truck, it's very very expensive...

didja take a look at the ebay item?
Old 05-27-2006, 11:27 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
didja take a look at the ebay item?
Yes. Check the answer in the For Sale thread.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:31 PM   #11

yes, thanks - found it!

Brain's not working tonight...
Old 05-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
thanks - that's what I thought - I don't think hub to hub is a problem, but I'm guessing the shape of the egg may be what costs a bundle... I can pick it up locally - it's the cross country that is an issue...
I checked out using them years ago. Back then, the issue was the height of the trailer. I think if you sell it as needing a large SUV space it might not be so bad. A 13fter is not as large or heavy as a Hummer, Subruban, Expedition or other large SUV.

This is the table for passenger vehicles hub to hub:

866-327-3229 Auto Transport Based on Terminal to Terminal

Miles Estimated Rate
500 - 750 $550*
750 - 1000 $600*
1000 - 1250 $650*
1250 - 1500 $700*
1500 - 1750 $750*
1750 - 2000 $800*
2000 - 2250 $850*
2250 - 2500 $900*
2500+ $950*
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The "Terminal to Terminal" can be a gotcha. Had friend's ship a classic truck from Texas to Oregon a couple of years ago and the transporter wouldn't come into Portland Metro with it. My friends ended up driving out of town about 30 miles (to an I-5 Rest Stop south of Portland), pulling a flat-bed trailer just so they could pickup the truck. What a hassle. They found out too that the quoted price and delivery price were two different things. Sorta like "Moving" companies...read the fine print!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #14

I'm rethinking the whole shipping thing - I suspect I need to just draw a 500 mile radius and then exercise some patience... between buying something sight unseen and then paying an arm and a leg to get it shipped... don't think my nerves could take it!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm a gotta see, gotta touch kind of person too Carol. However, there are a number of members on this forum who's opinion I would trust. If you find something you'd seriously consider outside your 500-mile radius, ask if someone close by is willing to go look at it for you. With the use of a digital camera and the Buyers Checklist, you may be able to purchase something "sight unseen."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 1984 Burro 13 ft and 2000 Burro 17 ft
Hold the phone! I had to wait on hold 35 minutes to get a real person at DAS, but when I did, he gave me a quote of $3595 to ship that Burro in OH to Oregon!! Can you believe it? Their rates are similar to what Gina listed for a car, but it's WAY more for and egg (even though light), b/c it won't fit in a car space on a car hauler, is what he told me.

So the shipping would be more than the trailer. Sigh....Trying to figure something else out. Can't go that far, myself, at this time, for health reasons. Anybody have a friend in OH who wants and expense-paid vacation?
Leslie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... CA to OH... a long trip! and with my car, I'll need electric brakes... so that means I have to talk the Big Brother into taking vacation time...
Two suggestions, although neither one is exactly something I've done myself:
  • Borrow the brother's truck, but not him - many people would not loan their vehicle to anyone, but I would loan one of mine to my sister...
  • Get brakes added (probably by replacing the axle) at a local shop in Ohio, then tow it home with the Vibe - allowing lots of time to sort out whatever may be found in the "shakedown cruise". The Vibe will need a brake controller, which can be added in advance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Hold the phone! I had to wait on hold 35 minutes to get a real person at DAS, but when I did, he gave me a quote of $3595 to ship that Burro in OH to Oregon!! Can you believe it? Their rates are similar to what Gina listed for a car, but it's WAY more for and egg (even though light), b/c it won't fit in a car space on a car hauler, is what he told me.

So the shipping would be more than the trailer. Sigh....Trying to figure something else out. Can't go that far, myself, at this time, for health reasons. Anybody have a friend in OH who wants and expense-paid vacation?
There are other services I've seen on the web. You post what you want moved from where to where and when, and people bid on moving it. Below are two I came across, I'm sure that there are more. Plus if the trailer is in an area where craigs list is or being towed to where craigslist is, you might find someone there. Possibly see if there is a community web site for either end, you might find someone that would appreciate having a room to sleep in while making a one way trip.

U ship link
Yesterdays Tractors link

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
I live in Dayton Ohio, approx 5 hours 1 way fom my house to the trailer. I was thinking that if needed, I could go and pick it up and keep it for a little while until you were able to come get it. I am a little concerned about this because I am breaking all types of city ordinances as it is. I have my Trillium, friends (soon mine) U-haul, A utility trailer, tow dolly, and my truck bed in the back yard at this time. My brother does not have a job and I could ask him if he would consider deliverying it for you or my father who is retired. E-mail me if you want me to check on it.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote