Eeeeeee stuff falling off new Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post

I do find it interesting that comments above are saying a few issues are to be expected in a new trailer. But on other threads similiar issues in another brand of trailer (PL) would call for a "heads on pikes" response.
That's because everything mentioned is small stuff. If there is a serious issue with a Scamp you call them up and they take care of it. With Parkliner the phone rings and rings and rings. Trillium was the same way. I suspect that's why they are no longer in business. I seriously considered buying a Parkliner but I've already lived that nightmare once and I don't plan on doing it again. Raz

Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Eventually you know the pre-trip and/or pre-season check list of things to check. That pretty much includes anything that screws in or tightens (think hinges, latches, and clamps. Oh My!) Along with seals and gaskets.

Along with the "who'd of thunk" things that can work loose, stick or otherwise surprise you with an opportunity to learn more about how your camper works. :-) The one that always gets me is when I relate some problem I have had to overcome only to hear from multiple other RV owners that "oh if you just use some blah" or "once a season do blah" it won't do that. Sigh. Wisdom can be such a PITA to earn.

I think keeping weight down is as much a factor as cost. Lighter and smaller tends to be a bit more fussy than heavier and stronger. And light weight is influenced by price point too. Light and extra strong tends to be expensive. High grade aluminum or other alloy, carbon fiber etc. cost a lot more than run of the mill materials. Check out the price of a carbon fiber bike frame. Really light but.... $$$$

You may want to locate some Purple Locktight thread locker, the purple locks bolt threads but is designed for smaller fasteners, you can't get enough torque on a small bolt or machine screw to undo the small fastener if you use the more common blue (for 1/4 inch or larger), or the high temp red. Check auto parts stores. Stuff really helps with those screws and bolts that want to work loose. Only takes a tiny drop.

Enjoy your trip and the memories.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #17

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Raz you had the most polite, courteous demeanor during your awful trillium troubles, It was something else to see. It was inspiring actually. If I could even come just a little close to your mindset someday I would be glad and a better person for it.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #18
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Raz you had the most polite, courteous demeanor during your awful trillium troubles, It was something else to see. It was inspiring actually. If I could even come just a little close to your mindset someday I would be glad and a better person for it.
Clearly you haven't talked to my wife. Perhaps you'll get a trailer some day and our paths will cross. Then you'll get an earful
Old 01-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #19

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
When I first hit Lost Crutches AKA Las Cruces, I had wheels balanced on our Scamp, and identified many other issues. The shake-rattle and roll apparently also unplugged part of the charging system and even though connected to 30 AMP line, the battery nearly went flat.

After talking to Scamp factory I learned a small 3 prong 110 vole plug had been working lose and discovered mine was also just "Dangling" so laying on my back and using the Braille method I d=found a socket and managed to get the plug back in place.

The contused "out of gas" syndrome and the resulting lack of heat, AKA furnace NOT working at 23 F in Las Cruces was pretty sobering.

I learned a lot and although I assumed the exchanged propane tank may have been short, Some tanks may need "burping" by opening the bleed screw. The tank was at least 1/3 full when I had it topped up here in AZ.

Scamp told me that exchange tanks can have faulty values and in cold weather the tank value can freeze and no gas passes.

Oh Joy!.

Seems all is back in order and we will be leaving Green Valley AZ in the morning 10ish or so and heading to Calif.
Hopefully camping one more place before Blythe.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:39 AM   #20

Name: Walter
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Go to a tire shop and get your trailer wheels balanced. It can have huge effects.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #21

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
The advice to get shocks is a good one. Trailers like this will get alot of shake going down our beautiful smooth roads.

Preventative maintenance is the key to happiness though. Keep checking things before each trip, and replace items before they get too far gone. All RV's need constant attention or they fall apart.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall, scamp