Eeeeeeeeee Drain Help needed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Given the low friction value of ice, it seems to me that filling the tank with Brillo pads would work better. <_<

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #16
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
The fellow suggested I do not do that, as he makes his living charging top $$$ cleaning out folks RV black water tanks that have been drained continually. This leaves solids behind that do not flow out as the liquids drain continually.

So eventually a lump of solids hardens and needs to be cleaned out at premium prices.

His recommendation is to let the tank fill then drain as normal and all will be drained AKA Flushed at one time.
He is correct! Just before dumping my black tank I always make a point of filling it right up with water - more liquid in the tank will result in a much better flush out when you open the valve up to dump.

On my grey water tank I do have the cap with the smaller garden hose connection which I only use when I am draining the tank off into my portable waste container which I normally only use when dry camping and keeping the trailer parked in one location for an extended time. If emptying the grey water tank at a dump station I use the large slinky hose. When you use the smaller hose there is not enough water flow and as a result you will probable end up with a build up of small dish washing bits or coffee grounds etc left behind in the tank. No matter how hard you try to avoid bits of stuff going down the sink somehow some always manage to go down it. If bits of stuff are left sitting in an empty grey tank in warm weather the tank may start to smell a little bit. I use a water tank wand to give both the grey and black tanks a good rinsing out before leaving the trailer parked unused for more than a few days, to make sure they are completely rinsed out and nothing is left behind.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #17
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Well Ya.... But (pardon the pun) what is used for flushing and bowl clearing tests isn't the same stuff sometimes found in RV holding tanks that has been there, sometimes for months, and has turned to a dry and almost rock like mountain.

But (sorry) I agree, adding a detergent soak is also effective and I can support that as well. But (sorry again) doing both, the detergent soak and ice cubes might do an even better job. One can only try and see what works for them.

I just don't care for sloppy experiments that claim to prove or disprove a point when, if one is smarter than a 4th grader, don't to either.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote