Electric brake malfunction - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Angry Electric brake malfunction

I have a 13.5' Bigfoot. I have been using a venturer brake controller. The controller has worked well for some years. There is an indicator light that shows either red ( not working) and green (functioning ). It lights up green, when using the 4runner brakes when hooked by umbilical cord, the trailer brakes work as well. some times when braking, the light shows red for some time, as brakes are used, then it will go to green for no reason. I hooked up to go on a trip, and the light was showing green. As I accelerated, it felt as if there was something having it's brakes on. I pulled over and felt the trailer brakes and they were cool. I drove about a block farther, and there was some vibration; from where ??? I pulled over and put my fingers in past the wheels and touched the the disk on one of the rear brakes. ----very hot!!!! The 4runner worked well before the hook up. I disconnected the connection under the dash, and every thing worked fine. I didn't look at the color of the light.. The controller seemed to be operating the Tug and not the Toe. It was controlling the 4runner brakes while not applying the brake peddle . Does anyone understand how this was happening? I am going to purchase a different brand of controller!
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

... sounds like a short to me.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
As I accelerated, it felt as if there was something having it's brakes on. I pulled over and felt the trailer brakes and they were cool. I drove about a block farther, and there was some vibration; from where ??? I pulled over and put my fingers in past the wheels and touched the the disk on one of the rear brakes. ----very hot!!!! The 4runner worked well before the hook up. I disconnected the connection under the dash, and every thing worked fine... The controller seemed to be operating the Tug and not the [Tow]. It was controlling the 4runner brakes while not applying the brake peddle . Does anyone understand how this was happening?
My initial impression is that it was not happening - nothing done to the tug's brake light circuit should be able to engage the tug's brakes.

The hot 4Runner brakes suggest that they (or one of them) were being applied. All I can think of is a connection to the wrong wire at the brake pedal somehow confusing the stability control system and causing it to apply that rear brake.

A brake controller does very little - it could behave randomly and should not be able to affect the tug. I would carefully check the wiring.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
My suspicion of your problem is wrong wiring of brake controller and it could also be the case this particular brake controller is defect. I don't know whether your brand of brake controller shows wrong or correct connection after wiring or not, because if that is the case, one should follow carefully instructions..Just my thought.
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
The controller should not, in any way operate the brakes on the tow vehicle. I don't even think it's possible with out activating the ABS, which would be very noticeable.

Which brake was it? Front or back? Left or right? All of them or one of them? I think more likely you have a stuck brake which should be serviced and inspected right away. When was the last time that was done? (I suggest a full inspection once a year).
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote