electric brakes - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #41

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Actually, I can buy that a soldered connection that sees flexing could be more subject to breakage, there would be a high strain where the flexible copper is pulled against the far more ridged solder joint. The lesson here is that strain relief is good. I am now convinced that I will put two layers of heat shrink on anything that I suspect may get tugged on, (I didn't know what to do with the bigger heat shrink anyway).

At the same time, when I installed a Fantastic fan, the corrosion on the wire around the original crimped connections was pretty bad. These connections were indoors, in the cabinet above the stove. It went about 2" under the insulation on the wires, which surprised me, since this was not a place that I expected moisture.

I stripped them back to good copper twisted them up with my fan wires and soldered and then marretted them.

I am not a corrosion engineer, but I am assuming that the tin in the solder should act as a sacrificial anode and thus keep this kind of corrosion from happening in the future.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #42

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dialectic grease could be an answer as it shields the connection from the elements. Tail lights usually come with a small tube of this stuff just for this purpose.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #43

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
brake controller Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
I just got a quote from my local U-Haul for $330 to install their "Prodigy" controller on my Rav4. That sound in the ballpark?
Here is a picture of my very recent (last month) In-Dash istallation on my Toyota Tundra.

If your Rav 4 is not already pre-wired for trailering, the $330.00 sounds like a fair deal. After wiring several vehicles myself, laying on the ground, grit in the eyes, I would pay that for a total installation!
Attached Thumbnails
brake controller 003.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #44

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Off topic discussion removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
And in the beginning I said: The ground discussion always creates controversy.
I removed the controversial posts. The original question has been adequately answered.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #45

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I removed the controversial posts. The original question has been adequately answered.
Controversy is very subjective. It's your forum, and we must abide by your subjective rules to participate in an otherwise very informative and highly helpful forum. However, removing posts is still censorship. I apologize if my comments have offended anyone.

Spanke
Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #46

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
Controversy is very subjective. It's your forum, and we must abide by your subjective rules to participate in an otherwise very informative and highly helpful forum. However, removing posts is still censorship. I apologize if my comments have offended anyone.

Spanke
The moderators know who to censor, it's always the engineer.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #47

Trailer: Helite
Here’s some food for thought: If electricity moved from Negative to Positive in direction then the frame could be considered a Buss and the other wire the return and only going to one spot in the camper.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #48

Trailer: Helite
I often wandered where engineers that squeked by and got degrees worked.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #49

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Sounds like Art wants to have that P contest with the engineer.
Shame on you Art.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #50

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Everyone please stay on topic. It's about electric brakes.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #51

Registry
Exclamation Community Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post

Spanke
FiberglassRV.com Community Rules
Selected portions from the above link. We invite everyone to read the whole thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Community Rules
  • Registering and participating at Fiberglassrv.com constitutes agreement to abide by the Social Knowledge Network Terms of Service (Social Knowledge is the company that owns this forum). We reserve the right to modify these rules at any time without giving you prior notice.
  • Be Courteous!
    Our philosophy is that we want the forum to be an online reflection of the RV'ing community. Treat each other with respect, just as you would around a campfire.
  • Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.
  • Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse directed at our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account.
  • Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #52

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The brakes on my Scamp 16 are grounded thru the frame. This is how the good folks at the factory set it up.

Having said that... it isn't wrong to run a separate ground wire for the brakes, and if you are having trouble it would be a good idea.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #53

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Ok this topic is all over the place about grounds. The wife and I are restoring our 72 Boler and we added brakes and I recently redid the wiring. I did not bother using the old wiring as a guide as it was a mess and confused me with the various colour changes and the odd wire that ended abruptly.

So far I have ran one ground for the whole trailer (Brakes,Tail lights, side markers) and have tied that into the 7 way plug. I have yet to test my wiring connectors to our TV so I can not say if it was a success. So I ask this...Is this setup adequate? I understand that multiple grounds can be good and wanted to seek some advice to see if I am doing the right thing.

Thanks

Matt
Old 04-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #54

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomni View Post
Ok this topic is all over the place about grounds. The wife and I are restoring our 72 Boler and we added brakes and I recently redid the wiring. I did not bother using the old wiring as a guide as it was a mess and confused me with the various colour changes and the odd wire that ended abruptly.

So far I have ran one ground for the whole trailer (Brakes,Tail lights, side markers) and have tied that into the 7 way plug. I have yet to test my wiring connectors to our TV so I can not say if it was a success. So I ask this...Is this setup adequate? I understand that multiple grounds can be good and wanted to seek some advice to see if I am doing the right thing.

Thanks

Matt
As long as the ground wire is of sufficient gauge you should be fine. Plus, if something goes wrong, it'll be far easier to diagnose and repair on the road.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #55

Registry
I reinstated the deleted posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dont get me wrong I am not in anyway criticizing the Moderators or the forums owners, and I have no issue with the politics policy and I think the Moderators here do an amazing job and I don't envy them. I also think that having clear policies works well for this forum. I also don't like to see Moderators work load increased but IMHO this particular topic needs to be looked at as it is one as Dave has clearly pointed out that can do way more harm than good.

As I said thats just MHO.
Some moderators read each and every post every time. Others scan as best we can, when we can, but the volume of posts (AND THE VOLUME OF POSTS) can be overwhelming. The Moderators are in this for the Love of the niche and genre, we are not paid for the sometimes excessive (ask our significant others) time we spend here. We are not required to read each and every post. Some of us still labor at full time employment, and we have other fires to put out.

Having said that, I just stumbled upon the controversy of this thread. My "needs to be read" index is up to 4 pages of Topics.

If I were to be consistent with the past, I would spend a lot of time editing and deleting... But sometimes it may be helpful for others to see how these discussions devolve into problems. I will just close the topic here, and let others make up their own minds.

Tags
brakes