Electric Brakes Not Working - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2023, 03:04 AM   #21

Name: Rick
Trailer: Jayco
Texas
Controller worked now won't apply full braking power

Thank You Paul O. for your reply, the new horse trailer I bought had no miles on it when I first tried the brakes when pulling it off the lot, but Iam going to start with my enclosed trailer and again check each wheel and brake setting to see if they just rub alittle bit and as far as the new trailer they may have not set them close enough when it was built.
Thanks again for your reply.
Rick
hhcomp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
>snip<

Avg voltage provided to the trailer brakes: When I press the brake pedal it goes to .87, then changes to .3 and then changes to 1.5

>snip<
I believe your trouble is not enough voltage being supplied to your trailer brakes. With my controller set to full application I get 10 volts to the brakes.

Adjust the maximum voltage going to the trailer brakes so the wheels lock up with a full manual brake application. Then back off the maximum just a bit so the brakes are not locked with a full manual application. You will need to read the manual to figure out how to manually apply the trailer brakes and adjust the maximum voltage going to them.

Good Luck, and let us know how it is going.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 12:44 PM   #23

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Check your ground connection to the trailer.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
Check your ground connection to the trailer.
Absolutely. You need a wired ground between the trailer and the tow vehicle. The white wire. You can not depend on the hitch ball to supply an adequate ground. Often the tow vehicle white wire is short and connected close to the hitch. Make sure it is connected to a solid ground. If rusted, remove, clean, put dielectric grease and reconnect. Do the same for the trailer side of the white wire on the trailer frame.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:59 AM   #25

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
Adjust the maximum voltage going to the trailer brakes so the wheels lock up with a full manual brake application. Then back off the maximum just a bit so the brakes are not locked with a full manual application.
The amount of load will determine the amount of brake force needed. An empty trailer will need less force to avoid lockup than one with horses loaded on it. Determine the numerical values for each load situation and set the controller limit accordingly before pulling out.
My 750 lb car carrier has a lot lower brake setting when empty than when the 1600 lb car is strapped on it.
Also be aware that friction will make a difference. Flat, level pavement will permit much higher brake force without skid versus side sloped dirt tracks in a pasture.

Jon MB: Waiting for a trailer add-on ABS system to simplify settings.

Tags
brakes