Electric Outage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
I was camping over the past few days with my 1985, 17' Bigfoot. I was using an inverter generator and had the furnace on and lights. Switched a light off and a fuse?? blew somewhere. I had electricity to the furnace and the trailer converter was reading the battery and the two fuses on the converter were okay. All 100 volt outlets were working. I pushed the reset on the converter but it didn't rectify the situation. I checked the fuse off the battery and it was okay as well. I expect I blew a fuse somewhere but I don't know where to look. Could there also be something I need to check on the converter?
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
I was camping over the past few days with my 1985, 17' Bigfoot. I was using an inverter generator and had the furnace on and lights. Switched a light off and a fuse?? blew somewhere. I had electricity to the furnace and the trailer converter was reading the battery and the two fuses on the converter were okay. All 100 volt outlets were working. I pushed the reset on the converter but it didn't rectify the situation. I checked the fuse off the battery and it was okay as well. I expect I blew a fuse somewhere but I don't know where to look. Could there also be something I need to check on the converter?

We had a similar thing happen this summer in our 1986 UHaul VT. It turned out that a breaker in the circuit breaker box had worked itself loose, making only intermittent contact. When I took the cover off, the breaker pretty much fell out, swing down from the lower pivot. I tightened up the contacts, pushed it back in, and it's working fine now. You might want to check for something similar in your Bigfoot.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
We had a similar thing happen this summer in our 1986 UHaul VT. It turned out that a breaker in the circuit breaker box had worked itself loose, making only intermittent contact. When I took the cover off, the breaker pretty much fell out, swing down from the lower pivot. I tightened up the contacts, pushed it back in, and it's working fine now. You might want to check for something similar in your Bigfoot.
I don't have breakers that I am aware of. That is why I suspect a fuse.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
My Bigfoot 17 (94) has a 30 Amp inline fuse located down in the drivers side under dinette seat right near the cable exit to the outside, where it goes to the battery and the trailer connector. Page 10 in the old manual spells it out.
It 'might' be taped over to the cable and hard to see - but it's there!
That being said, I'm not sure how that would affect the lights, but, give it a try!
Let me know.
Good luck.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #5

Quote:
My Bigfoot 17 (94) has a 30 Amp inline fuse located down in the drivers side under dinette seat right near the cable exit to the outside, where it goes to the battery and the trailer connector. Page 10 in the old manual spells it out.
It 'might' be taped over to the cable and hard to see - but it's there!
That being said, I'm not sure how that would affect the lights, but, give it a try!
Let me know.
Good luck.
Mike .....>
Mike,

That is exactly where I checked first. The fuse was still good. As I think about it more the line goes from the battery to the converter then re-routes. I'm beginning to suspect there is a problem with the DC side of the converter.Still hoping that someone with a lot more experience in this will step in and solve the problem,
Old 10-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
This may or may not help as my converter is 2009

There is a fuse on the converter.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 25 ft Bigfoot (25B25RQ)
I have a plastic resettable breaker in my battery to converter big wire. Not sure about yours.
This is a description
John H is offline   Reply With Quote