Electric trailers: Help me decide with side by side comparison - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #15

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
We had been looking for a used Lil Snoozy for a couple years-hoping it would be close to home.
The close to home didnt happen but did find one in W. Virginia-so off we go on a whirlwind trip.
Yes-it followed us home!
We like the cassette toilet-we just pull out the container from the outside and take it to the restroom to dump and then just slide it back into the toilet. Very easy.

We also like the look of the real wood cabinets.
Plenty of storage throughout.
The bed area is real nice with the curtains and queen bed.
We have 3 big windows and 2 small bedroom windows .
Rich will have to get used to the wider trailer but it seems to tow much better than our other trailers-now sway.
No propane is no problem for us. We usually stay where we have electric or we stay where we have no services-we adapt either way.
We looked at many trailers and the Snoozy fit our needs best.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I can understand the fear of propane, however it's unfounded and based on myth and a very few incidents. From my experience supplying parts to the trucking industry and I believe that most RV fires are electrical. Even then there's probably mitigating circumstances such as a shade tree mechanic rewiring or adding wiring to an RV.

Next time you're driving down the freeway look at how many RVs you see, look at storage lots and see how many RVs are stored. You can bet the vast majority, if not all, have propane.

As for me it really troubles me to pay $10.00+ per night just for the electricity. That above the normal camping fee. But, I'm a cheapskate. My average camping fees for 120+ nights per is close $6.00 per night. With an all electric trailer it would be much higher.

If you're only camping a couple night a year it probably doesn't make a lot of difference in fees.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #17

Kansas
Registry
I'm not saying anything against propane.
We just prefer electric and we stay where we have hookups.
We have stayed in cooler weather where we had no hookups.
We have a battery for our lights and we just dress warm and have blankets-we enjoy this kind of camping from time to time.
We used to stay in tents when the kids were young and we were younger.
Being not so young anymore-trailers are the way to go-propane or electric.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #18

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich and rei View Post
we had been looking for a used lil snoozy for a couple years-hoping it would be close to home.
The close to home didnt happen but did find one in w. Virginia-so off we go on a whirlwind trip.
Yes-it followed us home!
We like the cassette toilet-we just pull out the container from the outside and take it to the restroom to dump and then just slide it back into the toilet. Very easy.

We also like the look of the real wood cabinets.
Plenty of storage throughout.
The bed area is real nice with the curtains and queen bed.
We have 3 big windows and 2 small bedroom windows .
Rich will have to get used to the wider trailer but it seems to tow much better than our other trailers-now sway.
No propane is no problem for us. We usually stay where we have electric or we stay where we have no services-we adapt either way.
We looked at many trailers and the snoozy fit our needs best.
looks like it's time to up-date your trailer brand/brands in your personal info.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #19

Kansas
Registry
Yep-will do that.
Just got home Saturday with the Snoozy so still a little tired after the long trip.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:42 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Returned last week from a 11 day cross country trip in the HC1 , with 100 watt solar and the sun following us all the way home we never had to plug in once even though all campsites we stayed at offered electricity we never had to pay for it. If I need propane I'll bring it when I need it not lug it everywhere and not use it.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
snoozy

We looked at both snoozy and egg campers we ended up with snoozy . We have the twin bed model with cassette toilet the egg only had a small black tank i think 6 gallon were the Snoozy has 4 and 1/2 gallon pull out tank alot easier then small black tank the snoozy is 5000 less and looks nicer with oak cabinets . The Snoozy tows so easy Good luck with your decision Jim
Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 AM   #22

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Here are my thoughts on all electric trailers.

1) Would not wish to own an all electric trailer as they greatly restricts where you can camp. Some of the nicest spots I have ever camped have no power and no water.

2) You have a pretty limited audience in regards to who you might sell your trailer to. Which will impact its resale value. The reason for this is there are many National, state/provincial, local regional parks that have no power - some of us live in areas that the only place your going to find power is in a more expensive commercial campground parked amongst much larger RV's.

3) Over my time here we have had more than a few folks buy all electric trailers only to change their minds about its practicallity after a year or two of travel outside their own hometown area.

4) Just because you have propane appliances in a trailer does not mean you have to use them. Put a cover over the stove if more counter space is the reason for not wanting propane appliances.

5) I camp frequently and use my propane appliances a lot and honestly I don't need to get my tank refilled all that often. Once - maybe twice a summer. If you do not like having to take the tanks off to have them refilled, Why not put your princes crown on and ask your husband to take the tank off of the trailer while its at home before you go camping and have him take it to have it refilled and put it back on? Admit that tactic wouldn't work at my house though :-)
LOL, yeah no princess crown here, lol
I need to get that strip to show how much is left in the tank, but with just one weekend left to camp this season, I bought a little ceramic heater just in case I run out. I figured next season I'll deal with the switch over unless I sell before then
Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #23

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We looked at both snoozy and egg campers we ended up with snoozy . We have the twin bed model with cassette toilet the egg only had a small black tank i think 6 gallon were the Snoozy has 4 and 1/2 gallon pull out tank alot easier then small black tank the snoozy is 5000 less and looks nicer with oak cabinets . The Snoozy tows so easy Good luck with your decision Jim

Thanks, I think a lot of people made some really good points and I will need to look at things closer over the winter months on what would fit my needs based on how I camped this year (not nearly enough though!) I do also like the solar option and will put that into my search criteria for consideration, I'm all about green if I can go that route over any electrical hook up
Old 10-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #24

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The OP sounds a little like my mother. She does have LP in her camper but never uses it. She cooks in the microwave, runs the HW and fridge on electric, and uses the heat strip in the AC and/or a small ceramic heater when it's cold. It costs her more to always pay for electric hookups, but she can afford it, and that's her choice. At 89, she's been camping longer than I've been alive and has experience with white gas, propane, and electric. Electric is what works for her in this season of life.

The OP's question was about how EggCamper and Lil Snoozy compare. And the difficulty is that most of us have never owned either one, let alone both, to make a side-by-side comparison.

On paper, size and weight are fairly close. Prices used to be comparable until EggCamper announced a hefty $5000 increase earlier this year. But there the similarities end; they are very different in almost every other way: rear entry vs side entry, wood cabinetry vs molded fiberglass, porta-potty vs black tank, permanent bed vs convertible dinette, sofa vs small dinette for eating, cored fiberglass vs double hull construction, galvanized vs painted steel frame, surge brakes vs electric, outboard vs inboard wheel wells, rolling space ship vs classic egg shape...

If it were me, I'd be exploring possible ways to get a first-hand look at both. Connecting with nearby owners through the forum, attending a rally, and contacting the manufacturers are all ways to do that.
LOTS of info here!! Thanks so much. I currently have surge brakes on the camper I have now so I am familiar with those. I will look at all these items and see what each is. I think for me my initial thoughts on the rear entry were not good since I was thinking about having a hitch for bikes added to the back of my current trailer wondering how that would work if I got the snoozy. My wonder is could I fit a couple full size bikes up the middle of the camper, wrapping them so they don't bump or scratch anything......I guess that is another question for snoozy owners.

Thanks again for all your insight!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The subject of carrying bicycles on small, lightweight trailers has come up many, many times. There are lots of ways it can go wrong, no simple, obvious solutions, and lots of discussion. I suggest using the Google site search feature on "bike rack" (top blue bar under your log-in information, "Search," and scroll down to "Search Site/Google"). You'll get lots of information... maybe more than you want!...

For the record, in the list of differences in my previous post, I consistently listed Lil Snoozy first and EggCamper second. But you probably already figured that out.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #26

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I took the propane off of my Scamp. We hate cooking with the propane in the 13' Scamp. It's horrible for us, the wife doesnt like trying to light the stove and the heat is nearly unbearable inside while cooking....not to mention the steam/humidity/condensation. I took it out and we havent looked back and now use a $10 hotplate! BUT, I left the stove pan and can easily add the parts back should we wish to sell. I DO have it where I can reinstall the stove parts if we ever sell. I left the pan, added a cutting board (hinged) and it's now used for storage.

I mounted my propane tank back on my Scamp about a month ago. I used it for my fridge and water heater during the day. At night (and we were camping out in a model flying field), I used the gen. When I returned home, I removed the tank :-) and capped off the connector going into my Scamp

SO, basically, I suggest buying "gas" but simply remove the tank if you do not wish to use it- the same as I- but it's there and as Carol mentioned, will more than likely help the sale. MOST people do want the propane available and use it... just not us for the most part.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have gone "mostly" all electric. I have a heat pump mini-split that I had a chance to test on a cool morning this weekend and it worked out great. Of course it was not very cool in Mobile at around 50* F.
The only propane I have is for the tank less water heater and I am thinking about using the large disposables instead of the 20 lb. Tank. There is another possible user and that is the barbecue which also uses the disposable cans.
This would get 35 lbs. off the front as well.
As a backup heater I have a small ceramic portable.
I can't speak for how well this will work out in practice since my 16' Scamp is a work in practice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 10-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
LOL, yeah no princess crown here, lol
I need to get that strip to show how much is left in the tank, but with just one weekend left to camp this season, I bought a little ceramic heater just in case I run out. I figured next season I'll deal with the switch over unless I sell before then
Actually you don't need the strip....

To use the strip you have to pour hot water on it and it changes colors and gives you an approximate level.

But, if you just pour a cup of hot water on the tank and run you hand up from the bottom, it will be cold where the LP is at and get warm where it's not at. Easy Peasy and slightly more accurate.