Electric trailers: Help me decide with side by side comparison - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
snoozy

We looked at both snoozy and egg campers we ended up with snoozy . We have the twin bed model with cassette toilet the egg only had a small black tank i think 6 gallon were the Snoozy has 4 and 1/2 gallon pull out tank alot easier then small black tank the snoozy is 5000 less and looks nicer with oak cabinets . The Snoozy tows so easy Good luck with your decision Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:54 AM   #22

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Here are my thoughts on all electric trailers.

1) Would not wish to own an all electric trailer as they greatly restricts where you can camp. Some of the nicest spots I have ever camped have no power and no water.

2) You have a pretty limited audience in regards to who you might sell your trailer to. Which will impact its resale value. The reason for this is there are many National, state/provincial, local regional parks that have no power - some of us live in areas that the only place your going to find power is in a more expensive commercial campground parked amongst much larger RV's.

3) Over my time here we have had more than a few folks buy all electric trailers only to change their minds about its practicallity after a year or two of travel outside their own hometown area.

4) Just because you have propane appliances in a trailer does not mean you have to use them. Put a cover over the stove if more counter space is the reason for not wanting propane appliances.

5) I camp frequently and use my propane appliances a lot and honestly I don't need to get my tank refilled all that often. Once - maybe twice a summer. If you do not like having to take the tanks off to have them refilled, Why not put your princes crown on and ask your husband to take the tank off of the trailer while its at home before you go camping and have him take it to have it refilled and put it back on? Admit that tactic wouldn't work at my house though :-)
LOL, yeah no princess crown here, lol
I need to get that strip to show how much is left in the tank, but with just one weekend left to camp this season, I bought a little ceramic heater just in case I run out. I figured next season I'll deal with the switch over unless I sell before then
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #23

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We looked at both snoozy and egg campers we ended up with snoozy . We have the twin bed model with cassette toilet the egg only had a small black tank i think 6 gallon were the Snoozy has 4 and 1/2 gallon pull out tank alot easier then small black tank the snoozy is 5000 less and looks nicer with oak cabinets . The Snoozy tows so easy Good luck with your decision Jim

Thanks, I think a lot of people made some really good points and I will need to look at things closer over the winter months on what would fit my needs based on how I camped this year (not nearly enough though!) I do also like the solar option and will put that into my search criteria for consideration, I'm all about green if I can go that route over any electrical hook up
Old 10-05-2015, 06:06 AM   #24

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The OP sounds a little like my mother. She does have LP in her camper but never uses it. She cooks in the microwave, runs the HW and fridge on electric, and uses the heat strip in the AC and/or a small ceramic heater when it's cold. It costs her more to always pay for electric hookups, but she can afford it, and that's her choice. At 89, she's been camping longer than I've been alive and has experience with white gas, propane, and electric. Electric is what works for her in this season of life.

The OP's question was about how EggCamper and Lil Snoozy compare. And the difficulty is that most of us have never owned either one, let alone both, to make a side-by-side comparison.

On paper, size and weight are fairly close. Prices used to be comparable until EggCamper announced a hefty $5000 increase earlier this year. But there the similarities end; they are very different in almost every other way: rear entry vs side entry, wood cabinetry vs molded fiberglass, porta-potty vs black tank, permanent bed vs convertible dinette, sofa vs small dinette for eating, cored fiberglass vs double hull construction, galvanized vs painted steel frame, surge brakes vs electric, outboard vs inboard wheel wells, rolling space ship vs classic egg shape...

If it were me, I'd be exploring possible ways to get a first-hand look at both. Connecting with nearby owners through the forum, attending a rally, and contacting the manufacturers are all ways to do that.
LOTS of info here!! Thanks so much. I currently have surge brakes on the camper I have now so I am familiar with those. I will look at all these items and see what each is. I think for me my initial thoughts on the rear entry were not good since I was thinking about having a hitch for bikes added to the back of my current trailer wondering how that would work if I got the snoozy. My wonder is could I fit a couple full size bikes up the middle of the camper, wrapping them so they don't bump or scratch anything......I guess that is another question for snoozy owners.

Thanks again for all your insight!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The subject of carrying bicycles on small, lightweight trailers has come up many, many times. There are lots of ways it can go wrong, no simple, obvious solutions, and lots of discussion. I suggest using the Google site search feature on "bike rack" (top blue bar under your log-in information, "Search," and scroll down to "Search Site/Google"). You'll get lots of information... maybe more than you want!...

For the record, in the list of differences in my previous post, I consistently listed Lil Snoozy first and EggCamper second. But you probably already figured that out.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I took the propane off of my Scamp. We hate cooking with the propane in the 13' Scamp. It's horrible for us, the wife doesnt like trying to light the stove and the heat is nearly unbearable inside while cooking....not to mention the steam/humidity/condensation. I took it out and we havent looked back and now use a $10 hotplate! BUT, I left the stove pan and can easily add the parts back should we wish to sell. I DO have it where I can reinstall the stove parts if we ever sell. I left the pan, added a cutting board (hinged) and it's now used for storage.

I mounted my propane tank back on my Scamp about a month ago. I used it for my fridge and water heater during the day. At night (and we were camping out in a model flying field), I used the gen. When I returned home, I removed the tank :-) and capped off the connector going into my Scamp

SO, basically, I suggest buying "gas" but simply remove the tank if you do not wish to use it- the same as I- but it's there and as Carol mentioned, will more than likely help the sale. MOST people do want the propane available and use it... just not us for the most part.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have gone "mostly" all electric. I have a heat pump mini-split that I had a chance to test on a cool morning this weekend and it worked out great. Of course it was not very cool in Mobile at around 50* F.
The only propane I have is for the tank less water heater and I am thinking about using the large disposables instead of the 20 lb. Tank. There is another possible user and that is the barbecue which also uses the disposable cans.
This would get 35 lbs. off the front as well.
As a backup heater I have a small ceramic portable.
I can't speak for how well this will work out in practice since my 16' Scamp is a work in practice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:39 AM   #28

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
I need to get that strip to show how much is left in the tank, but with just one weekend left to camp this season, I bought a little ceramic heater just in case I run out. I figured next season I'll deal with the switch over unless I sell before then
Actually you don't need the strip....

To use the strip you have to pour hot water on it and it changes colors and gives you an approximate level.

But, if you just pour a cup of hot water on the tank and run you hand up from the bottom, it will be cold where the LP is at and get warm where it's not at. Easy Peasy and slightly more accurate.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That's my method too Bob...but I take it one step further. In warm weather and the tank is warm, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes. I simply run about a half a pot (4 cups min) through my coffee maker and use it. HOT water but you probably can mark it within 1/4" if you wanted to know exactly where the gas line is .

Do it at your own risk because you're using HOT water. Just be careful when you first touch the tank...especially during the summer. But again, there IS a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Actually you don't need the strip....

To use the strip you have to pour hot water on it and it changes colors and gives you an approximate level.

But, if you just pour a cup of hot water on the tank and run you hand up from the bottom, it will be cold where the LP is at and get warm where it's not at. Easy Peasy and slightly more accurate.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Yup the princess thing is not something I am overly good at pulling off either

I have a gauge on my propane tank (purchased from Costco) that I find helps. Not 100% accurate but close enough for me. Once the needle gets close to going out of the green zone its time for a refill.

When traveling on my own I just pull the trailer up close to the refill station (normally a place were I am stopping to buy gas for the vehicle anyways) so I only need to carry the tank a few feet to have it refilled. Once its refilled 9 times out of 10 the party who did the refill will offer to carry it and put it back onto the trailer, all I need to do is reconnect the hose to it and secure the tank. Pretty easy. Actually just had a tank filled yesterday - total elapsed time from time of pulling into the propane refill station to pulling out with a full tank remounted on trailer less than 6 min.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
snoozy

We have the twin bed Snoozy very similar to Queen except smaller couch
54in VS. 72in and beds run front to back VS side to side
The bikes go right in the back door I've had 2 large beach bomber bikes in there and just tied them down real good and no problems .
That was one of the reasons we bought the Snoozy.

I wish the Snoozy would be two feet longer and maybe tandem axcels . We have grandkids and need more sleeping areas but for Two its a great setup .

I think each fiberglass trailer has something that owners want and like .The side door give you a nice canopy and place to sit whereas the Snoozy has the rear door no canopy that would act as a shelter . The sizes of the 16 and 17 ft trailers all have about the same inside space from 13-14 ft The Snoozy has the most space compared to Scamp,Casita ,Escape , parkliner and,Egg,These all are very similar in size except for maybe the parkliner which is 15ft and inside about 12ft . Go and look at some of these and then make up your mind .They all are going to be about 2000lb-2500lb to tow so the towing will be almost the same . Good Luck in your Quest .

BTW we have our Snoozy for sale because Grandma wants more room for the Grandkids so its a Quest for a bigger fiberglassRV ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
In my mind it really boils down to your style of camping. If you will always be in a campground with at least electrical hookups in a nearby location, all electric is fine.

Of course there is always the possibility that you will change your mind on how far you want to travel, or even decide to try boondocking which could throw a monkey wrench into the choice, but there is always a retrofit, or, as has happened to many, a case of 2' itis', and a new trailer!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #33

Michigan
Good to know! I will search the bikes section and see what all pulls up. I have been comparing sizes and so far the snoozy is about a foot shorter in height, but a foot wider in width- but I also know that is the tires on the outside vs under the body, so overall it may seem not as wide

I really wanted to go to the RV show this last weekend but I had a sick kid so we had to pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We have the twin bed Snoozy very similar to Queen except smaller couch
54in VS. 72in and beds run front to back VS side to side
The bikes go right in the back door I've had 2 large beach bomber bikes in there and just tied them down real good and no problems .
That was one of the reasons we bought the Snoozy.

I wish the Snoozy would be two feet longer and maybe tandem axcels . We have grandkids and need more sleeping areas but for Two its a great setup .

I think each fiberglass trailer has something that owners want and like .The side door give you a nice canopy and place to sit whereas the Snoozy has the rear door no canopy that would act as a shelter . The sizes of the 16 and 17 ft trailers all have about the same inside space from 13-14 ft The Snoozy has the most space compared to Scamp,Casita ,Escape , parkliner and,Egg,These all are very similar in size except for maybe the parkliner which is 15ft and inside about 12ft . Go and look at some of these and then make up your mind .They all are going to be about 2000lb-2500lb to tow so the towing will be almost the same . Good Luck in your Quest .

BTW we have our Snoozy for sale because Grandma wants more room for the Grandkids so its a Quest for a bigger fiberglassRV ?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #34

Michigan
Very helpful gents!! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
That's my method too Bob...but I take it one step further. In warm weather and the tank is warm, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes. I simply run about a half a pot (4 cups min) through my coffee maker and use it. HOT water but you probably can mark it within 1/4" if you wanted to know exactly where the gas line is .

Do it at your own risk because you're using HOT water. Just be careful when you first touch the tank...especially during the summer. But again, there IS a difference.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #35

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
4x4LDY, ;We have a Lil Snoozy, and placing bicycles in it for travel is very simple....they can even ride on the bed. I have added propane to ours for heat and cooking, and use a fiberglass propane tank so I can see the level of propane left in it, and it's lighter also.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #36

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #37

Michigan
Thanks Dave for the bike info. I have been on the site all day.....can you say downtime at work :/ bored so therefore I must surf
Old 10-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #38

Michigan
Snoozy peeps just got back to me and said it could fit 3-4 full size bikes in their trailer That is a positive thing!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #39

Michigan
last weekend and your tips :)

I covered the stove, plugged in a heater and finished my curtains. Thanks everyone, time for sticky to go into hiding for the winter and hopefully emerge in the spring as a new egg!!
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender2.jpg   FullSizeRender3.jpg  

FullSizeRender4.jpg   FullSizeRender5.jpg  

Old 10-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #40

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Electric trailers: Help me decide with side by side comparison

Quote:
LOTS of info here!! Thanks so much. I currently have surge brakes on the camper I have now so I am familiar with those. I will look at all these items and see what each is. I think for me my initial thoughts on the rear entry were not good since I was thinking about having a hitch for bikes added to the back of my current trailer wondering how that would work if I got the snoozy. My wonder is could I fit a couple full size bikes up the middle of the camper, wrapping them so they don't bump or scratch anything......I guess that is another question for snoozy owners.

Thanks again for all your insight!

We put two full size bikes inside for two full winters of camping. I made a couple of brackets that attached to the front under-bed storage door with wing nuts. Worked perfect, never any damage from bouncing around on the road. Pluses are bikes stay clean and (relatively) theft proof, minuses are kind of a pain to set up and very restricted access forward of the sink with the bikes inside.

Last year we got two folding bikes and keep them in the back of the Jeep. All pluses now, no minuses except the little bikes don't ride quite as well as the old ones.

Check out the Jan 21 2015 post of my blog. www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com for pictures of how the two full size bikes were mounted in the trailer.

I considered the egg camper and in fact live in Michigan not too far from the plant but choose the Snoozy for the warm all wood interior, cassette toilet and more modern foam core sandwich construction method.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote