electrical - 4 way vs 7 way - questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi everyone, I am a real green newbie. Thanks for your forum, I am learning a lot but one thing I have run across is this issue.

I just got my towing package installed onmy Saturn VUE and am looking for a trailer.

The VUE has a standard 4-flat electrical hookup, which of course powers the tail and brake lights. Apparently, through talking to my dealer, this is the load VUE can handle - not the 7 way.

I am now looking for a Scamp or similar and keep running across them - especially 16 foot Scamps, which I am most interested in - with seven way connectors, which I assume powers the tail, brake, backup and probably a charge to the battery in the trailer.

One guy with this setup told me you could convert down from 7 way on the car but not like I need to. I don't see why not. If the trailer has a seven way there are adapters that convert from four (vehicle) to seven (trailer). I see them online. Of course, the battery and back up lights will not be powered, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, does anyone know why there is such a variety of hookups for electrical on Scamps? Or are people just incapable of describing tham to me through emails? I have heard 7-round, 7-flat, 7-RV, and "I don't know".

I'm willing to drive out of state (California) to pick one up but this question needs solving first before I arrive and discover I can't hook one up.

Any pointers in general on these issues are greatly appreciated. It may be addressed in scattered threads elsewhere on the forum but like I said I'm pretty green here and I just started reading this site. Haven't finished searchin you uet.

Thanks and happy roads,

Dale
DaleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
One option, what I did, in fact, was to wait until I found and bought my trailer. In my case, I traveled from central Florida to about mid Alabama to pick it up. But once there, I went to the nearest RV dealership, Clark's RV as I recall, and they installed the appropriate 7 way plug, left me my 4 way plug intact, just in case I might need it again, installed a new brake controller, since my trailer now had electric brakes, and sold me another hitch with the sway bar ball off-set so I could use the sway bar that came with it. It cost slightly over $200 as I vaguely recall and late in the afternoon, everything installed, I struck out headed south towards Florida, white knuckled, with my new-to-me trailer bouncing along right behind me.

So, consider waiting untill you have your trailer....there are RV and trailer places everywhere!
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6

Dale, I have a Saturn Vue V-6 and pull a 16-ft Scamp. The Vue will handle the 7-way plug. You will need it to operate the electric brakes on the 16' Scamp. You also will need a brake controller. It is best to have it professionally installed. You will want the electric brakes working on the trailer if you are pulling it with a Vue. Ours works very satisfactorily. We also had a transmission cooler installed to protect the transmission.
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Scamp usually only puts the connector on that deals with the options ordered.

The first four are ground/return, running lights, brake lights and turn signals.

The next is brakes (from the brake controller).

The next is trailer battery recharge (From the TV battery).

The seventh is an extra, for whatever the owner wants, usually back-up lights.

The 7-Way is more common than a 6-way.

The 'load' on the lights in the first four wires will be the same regardless of how many other pins are used (Obviously the ground/return will carry more load with brakes and recharging going on).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote