Electrical inspections? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Electrical inspections?

I've spent months undoing all kinds of band-aid fixes on this Trillium and am determined to fix everything right, with no short cuts. I couldn't have done much without all of the wise input from the knowledgeable folks on this forum. Well, here I am with more questions.

I disconnected the dorm refrigerator, and the plug came out with green crud caked on it. My questions are as follows:

1. If the wires I can see look relatively new, is this just a clean-up job, or is it good practice to have the entire electrical system inspected?
2. When do you do this? Any time during the rehab?
3. Do I need to pull out the refrigerator, air conditioner, etc. for access to every piece of wire?
4. Is this something my diesel mechanic/carpenter/master gardener neighbor can do? He has offered to do it for free... or is it pretty cheap to have done professionally?

Maybe other newcomers to this adventure can benefit from your help. I've got more questions to come, so I'm making sure the Titles have pretty general tags.

Thank you!!
Ruth C.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's a couple of things (professions) that everybody's an expert at or at least there's lots of them around, electrical wiring is one of those. However most don't really have much knowledge about electricity and how it works.

Your neighbor may have some understanding, but then again probably not, at least that's been my experience.

One of the biggest causes of vehicular fires is electrical. If you don't truly understand the stuff, I generally recommend to at least have it checked out by somebody that does understand. The difficulty is finding somebody that has that understanding.

I suggest that you ask a lot of questions and write down the answers. Then ask somebody else the same questions. Different answers would indicate that one or both don't really understand electricity and electrical wiring.

Above all make sure everything is properly fused, that's your last stage of protection.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Open everything up, write down the concerns and pay a licensed electrician to do an inspection 4 U.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Inspection Liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Open everything up, write down the concerns and pay a licensed electrician to do an inspection 4 U.
I have a State Journeymans electrical license (41years) , I have a Masters license(22 years),and I have a State teachers license for electrical (35 years)
A friend asked me to help him wire his summer home , I showed him what to do , marked out the house for openings and gave him a list of material. When I came back to look over the wiring it did NOT resemble anything we had discussed or laid out . I asked what's going on and was told that he went to Home D____t and the kid there said my way was too expensive and I didn't know how to wire a house. Less than a year later when the house burned to the ground, Guess who got named in a lawsuit? (It wasn't the kid at Home D___t) I learned that because of my license I am responsible if, I do the work , help you with the work , tell you how to do the work , or inspect the work. If you take out a homeowners permit and I help you with the work I am in violation of the law even if the work is inspected . If I am going to put my license and finances on the line I want to have performed the work and been paid for my time and risk
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
It is rare to find a "licensed electrician" who understands automotive 12V wiring, sometimes 110V trailer wiring can even present them with unique issues.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Low Voltage DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It is rare to find a "licensed electrician" who understands automotive 12V wiring, sometimes 110V trailer wiring can even present them with unique issues.
I, as most licensed electricians have worked on equipment with DC control
Most equipment now days is run by a PLC which operates at 5 VDC or 12VDC or 24VDC or 48 VDC as do all of their electronic control devices . We understand low voltage wiring!!
The last printing press I maintained cost $11,000,000 and was far more complicated than any vehicle. The problem for most electricians is that we follow the National Electrical Code , trailer Mfg and trailer owners do NOT . I have rewired a large portion of my Scamp and I can tell you that Scamp does not use licensed electricians to wire their trailers nor use the doctrine of best practice. If I installed electrical wiring in the manner they do I would loose my license . It may be rare in your area but I spent 8 years in trade school and college to get my electrical license in Minnesota and I understand 12 volt auto wiring Please do NOT paint everyone with your same brush
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I, as most licensed electricians have worked on equipment with DC control
Most equipment now days is run by a PLC which operates at 5 VDC or 12VDC or 24VDC or 48 VDC as do all of their electronic control devices . We understand low voltage wiring!!
The last printing press I maintained cost $11,000,000 and was far more complicated than any vehicle. The problem for most electricians is that we follow the National Electrical Code , trailer Mfg and trailer owners do NOT . I have rewired a large portion of my Scamp and I can tell you that Scamp does not use licensed electricians to wire their trailers nor use the doctrine of best practice. If I installed electrical wiring in the manner they do I would loose my license . It may be rare in your area but I spent 8 years in trade school and college to get my electrical license in Minnesota and I understand 12 volt auto wiring Please do NOT paint everyone with your same brush
I didn't mean to strike a nerve, but notice I said "RARE" not "unheard of".
Actually, most of the industry "though not all" does differentiate between "Electricians" and "Instrument Techs". Neither of which is necessarily qualified on automotive wiring.
I came out of electronics school back when integrated circuits were just coming on the scene. The only work I could find at first was as an industrial maintenance Electrician. Not the same field, but it was a paycheck.
My last "career" change was as a fleet mechanic, which involved a lot of low voltage electronics as well as ordinary 12V wiring.
While I have no doubt in your prowess, talent or skill, I think I will stand by my statement, Present company excepted of course!
As for a "License"... the word merely means "permission" something which I would never seek when the work is done in my shop,but something which was always given in the form of work orders from former employers.
I too, have received diplomas, certifications,licenses, competencies, etc.,but I am sure you will agree that not everyone licensed by the state of Minnesota as an electrician, could maintain your printing press, and I doubt seriously if you would be given charge of the maintenance on a Cat 990 without further training.
As for the paint brush thing...While I respect the talent involved in their use ( both literally and figuratively)...I hate them, so you can rest assured that you will "rarely" catch me with one in my hand!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
There's a couple of things (professions) that everybody's an expert at or at least there's lots of them around, electrical wiring is one of those. However most don't really have much knowledge about electricity and how it works.

Your neighbor may have some understanding, but then again probably not, at least that's been my experience.

One of the biggest causes of vehicular fires is electrical. If you don't truly understand the stuff, I generally recommend to at least have it checked out by somebody that does understand. The difficulty is finding somebody that has that understanding.

I suggest that you ask a lot of questions and write down the answers. Then ask somebody else the same questions. Different answers would indicate that one or both don't really understand electricity and electrical wiring.

Above all make sure everything is properly fused, that's your last stage of protection.
I couldn't agree more. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical