Electrical opinions wanted. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler
Hi all, I have a just bought a 1976 Boler with no interior lighting or battery. There are 2 110 volt recepticles. One for the 3-way fridge and one on the cabinet face. I basically have a blank canvas to do what ever I want.
I want a good mix of hydro and battery power. Do they need breakers and fuses?
Do I need a 12 volt deep cycle battery and charger just to run a few lights? Has anyone ever used those stick on AAA battery lights instead of going the 12 volt route?
I'm quite capable of doing the work and I'm not looking for the cheapest solution. I would really just appreciate some opinions on what has worked out well for you and maybe what you wish you would have done. I want to do it right while I have the opportunity before I continue with the reno. Thank-you!!!
Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had a 13ft Compact J. I used a 12 volt motor cycle battery for my lights. I just used inline fuses. It worked ok for me. Along with that you could use a small Solar panel.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler

Here is a link to my setup.You can go through my other videos as well if you are looking for ideas.

This is just one way of doing it. Others will have good ideas as well.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I want a good mix of [b]hydro and battery power. Do they need breakers and fuses?
Do I need a 12 volt deep cycle battery and charger just to run a few lights? Has anyone ever used those stick on AAA battery lights instead of going the 12 volt route?
What's the American word for "Hydro"?

Name:   trailer12.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  47.6 KB

I found some florescent / incandescent flashlights in WalMart when I was rebuilding my Compact Jr. (See the yellow fixtures in my photographs.) They each had a battery compartment for a Bazillion "C" cell batteries, or a cord with a 12 volt plug. Since I did not want to have to keep a bazillion "C" cells on hand, I wired up 12 volt outlets in electrical boxes, and connected them through a marine fuse/switch panel (on the closet wall in the 1st picture) to the group 24 Deep Cycle battery on the tongue. I also Jerry-rigged a big honking AC adapter (The largest one available from Radio Shack) to plug the electrical boxes into shore power with the Deep cycle battery disconnected. One florescent light in each corner lit up the trailer pretty well.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
I had a 13ft Compact J. I used a 12 volt motor cycle battery for my lights. I just used inline fuses. It worked ok for me. Along with that you could use a small Solar panel.

I was thinking of using a 12 volt motor cycle battery because of it's smaller size, but I'm wondering if it would provide enough power. Maybe with a smart charger??? Has anyone went this route? Would it work?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
AKA shorepower or 110 volt electricity. They generate a lot with hydro power (dams) up there

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 77 Trilliun 4500
Quote:
Hi all, I have a just bought a 1976 Boler with no interior lighting or battery. There are 2 110 volt recepticles. One for the 3-way fridge and one on the cabinet face. I basically have a blank canvas to do what ever I want.
I'm quite capable of doing the work and I'm not looking for the cheapest solution. I would really just appreciate some opinions on what has worked out well for you and maybe what you wish you would have done. I want to do it right while I have the opportunity before I continue with the reno. Thank-you!!!
IF THE CAMPER HAS A 110AC TO 12DC VOLT CONVERTER I WOULD INSTALL ALL THE REQUIRED LIGHTINGAS 12 V. DC. THAT WAY ONLY U DON`T NEED DOUBLE BULBS. wHEN PLUGED IN POWER TO THE LIGHTS IS SUPPLIED OFF THE CONVERTER AND WHEN U DON`T HAVE SHOR^POWER YOU CAN FEED UR LIGHTS OFF A BATTERTY
Mic Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring

Well, we're all Americans all the way from the southern tip of south America to the top of North America. For those of us n the USA it just seams easier to call us Americans because we have no other name for us such as Canadians, Mexicans, Bolivians etc. Other than the British and sometimes Canadians that call us Yanks among other things that I shall not put in print here.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I was thinking of using a 12 volt motor cycle battery because of it's smaller size, but I'm wondering if it would provide enough power. Maybe with a smart charger??? Has anyone went this route? Would it work?
I use jump start type batteries, this one from Canadian Tire with built in inverter, the internal charger fried so I bought a smart charger so now when I am connected to 110v I can recharge the battery. I also have a little solar panel that charges too, we are not big electric users, so the battery is enough, and the small solar puts back the little bit we did use.

Has been fine for 2 camping seasons now, but your usage may vary.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
I am currently working on a system very similar to Kevin61(above). 2 deep cycle 6volt 240 amp batteries and a 1750Watt inverter. It really all depends on your energy needs are. I have a 65 watt fridge, a space heater, 12volt lighting and a satellite radio going in my boler.
The lighting and the fridge are my main concern. The heater would only be used in a rare ocassion. But the fridge alone can be ran for 2 days (assuming it is running all of the time) so maybe longer. Go to 12 volt side of life for a good explanation and examples to help you figure out your energy needs.
Dave Mc to answer your question, again it depends on the amp hour rating on your motor cycle battery and the total wattage of your lighting.
Brett Abernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Nuclear?
a la Homer Simpson or 3 Mile Island
(really it's water)
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...POWER as in "The Power Co." Edison Power and Light... etc. In Canada we have a Hydro Bill... In the United States it's a Power Bill... I think???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi as well.

Alf is right as in Ontario they all tend to speak about electricity as "Hydro" that is the utility company that the power comes from, it would be like getting an electric bill.

We too are pondering the choices about "power, electric or Hydro"

It is an interesting question for sure, Good Luck with what you decide.

See you in June/July Alf.......

Dennis
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
Hi Dave, everyone,

I've gone the route of the 'small, basic 12V battery' for my 13' Trillium. I needed a small amount of 12V power to run LED lighting, a vintage car radio, and the odd 12V phone charger; the Trillium only has an icebox, and the furnace has no electric fan.

You'll see my electrical setup in the picture below. From top to bottom: Fuse panel, 110V smart charger (from Canadian Tire), and a 12V battery I 'rescued' from a emergency lighting fixture. When off-the-grid, this will meet my needs; when 110V is available, I need only to reach into the bay and plug the charger into the 110V outlet in the footwell under the table. This setup isn't completely hands-off, but I preferred to have a physical separation between the two electrical systems.

I realize I went overkill on the mounting systems there, but I wanted it to be completely dismantleable, and I needed it all nicely spread out to be able to understand/remember my new wiring! Incidentally, I used 10-gauge marine-grade throughout, with crimped and heat-shrinked connections.

I'll be replacing this system with a twin 12V deep-cycle setup once I get a battery box mounted on the front of the trailer; that'll wait until the rain/snow returns, though.

Hope this helps; email me off-list if I can contribute more.

~Tim
North Vancouver, BC
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0312.jpg  
Tim Ryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #15

Wow, I never thought the word "hydro" would invoke such interest. Anyway, thanks for all of the advice. After reading about all of the different options, I'm wondering if I should just wire the Boler like my house. Just 110. The majority of the time we are hooked up to hydro anyway. oops "electricity"... and with the availabiliy of the battery powered LED stick on lights and my propane appliances, I'm wondering if I need a separate 12 volt system at all.

Can anybody convince me as to why I need 12 volt????

Your thoughts as usual will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Can anybody convince me as to why I need 12 volt?
  1. Do you ever "Boondock" or camp without plugging into electricity?
  2. Are you concerned about resale value?
If you can say "no" to both of the above, then you don't need it.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Quote:
Wow, I never thought the word "hydro" would invoke such interest. Anyway, thanks for all of the advice. After reading about all of the different options, I'm wondering if I should just wire the Boler like my house. Just 110. The majority of the time we are hooked up to hydro anyway. oops "electricity"... and with the availabiliy of the battery powered LED stick on lights and my propane appliances, I'm wondering if I need a separate 12 volt system at all.

Can anybody convince me as to why I need 12 volt????

Your thoughts as usual will be greatly appreciated.
Well, for those times you are not able to plug in I would say it is essential. The ability to Boondock opens up you posiblities for camping locality. You will run into situations where campgrounds do not have powered sites. Especially if they are full. Besides that, setting up a 12 volt system is fun.
Brett Abernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Dave, and thanx for posting a question which yielded so many informative answers. Will just put in our 2 cents here. We are finishing up our 3rd year full-timing in our Scamp 13. Our electrical usage is low also - some 12V lights in the process of "morphing" into LED's (no heater or fridge) for those a small solar panel (UniSolar) keeps the battery topped off. We recharge the laptops & cell phone with a motorcycle battery or a small Radio Shack inverter in the tug while driving.

While we have discovered the joys of electrical hook-ups, we boon-docked at Quartzsite for extended periods during 2 winters and will continue dry-camping wherever we find a lovely, accessible spot to camp. You mentioned wiring your Egg without 12V - we suggest not closing that door just yet. The more you enjoy getting out with your trailer, the more you might be drawn to explore unimproved camping areas. Oh, yeah, did I mention ... we LOVE solar! If you decide to consider this power option, you will find LOTS of terrific info,knowledge and advice among the members of this forum.

Whatever you decide, we wish you safe journeys and many, many happy memories. Regards, L 'n D
Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1978
Quote:

I have a 78 Boler 1300. I replaced the standard 12 volt lights with 12 volt LED "cabin " lights from a marine supply house. Thier power demand is super minimal. I mounted one on the aft side of the above the sink cabinet and the other on the aft side of the tall storage cabinet. They have an on/off switch on board. Wiring is straight forward. I ran shielded wire down the inside of the closet and through the floor to the storage area under the drivers side rear bench. I rerouted the wiring for the other light down to the same area. I installed a 12 volt AGM battery with 35 a/hrs in the bin with a simple battery strap to hold it in place. I coupled an inexpensive charge controller to the battery and routed the leads for a portable 13 watt solar panel through a 1/4 inch hole in the floor to the underside of the trailer. I put simple plug type connecters on leads. I have a 400 watt inverter that I simply attach to the battery with the supplied terminal clamps. I fish the wire from the battery through the vent hole in the bench. You can use the inverter to power a laptop for movies, internet, etc., power an Ipod dock with no problem. I spent $30 for each light, $90 for the folding briefcase type panel, $30 for the controller, $70 for the battery, $30 for the inverter and maybe $8 for the various wire and connectors. With the exception of the lights, I obtained everything from northerntool.com. $300 dollars later, I have lights and entertainment and the ability to camp anywhere!
Carolyn Eck is offline   Reply With Quote