Man, am I slow at getting things done around here. No wonder my wife is always complaining.
Anyway, got around to putting my free standing "trickle" charger on the battery. Let it run for days, turning it off only at bedtime. Voila!!
13.8 volts like Penny said.
Ran the fan and some lights
for hours just to see how things held up. Three days later(same shutoff routine as above), the fan and lights
are still fine and the battery reads 13 volts. Maybe I don't have the "surface charge" syndrome that Frederck mentioned.
Now I have plugged in the convertor to see if the convertor trickle will bring the battery back up. I have yet to speak to American about the shedding parts. I will, I will, I will get to that tomrrow.