Electrical Power Discharge Episode - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #15
Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
""And, the voltmeter says the battery is at 12volts after sitting all night without the shore line. Lights are bright.""
Ronnie, if my old memory serves me right, isn't a battery supposed to read about 13.8v ???
I think I would have it put on a LOAD tester, not just regular tester.
Just my tuppence (British for 2 pennies)

Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:22 PM   #16
Trailer: 2004 Scamp Side Dinette 16 ft / 2006 Honda Pilot

Don't know about the 13.2 volts. The battery was not under a load and had a night to do its chemcial thing. Put my little, Sears trickle on it and the amp meter on that showed over four amps running. which means to me the battery was pretty far down. so much for the 12 volts on the volt meter.

could be I have two problems. fading battery and a part shedding convertor. one may not have anything to do with the other. I know this rig sat all last winter unattended and has not been in service since May of '05.

time to haul the battery to the shop for a check up. right after a few nights in the Green Mountains.

Thanks, folks.

RonnieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:22 PM   #17
Trailer: 2004 Scamp Side Dinette 16 ft / 2006 Honda Pilot

Man, am I slow at getting things done around here. No wonder my wife is always complaining.

Anyway, got around to putting my free standing "trickle" charger on the battery. Let it run for days, turning it off only at bedtime. Voila!! 13.8 volts like Penny said.

Ran the fan and some lights for hours just to see how things held up. Three days later(same shutoff routine as above), the fan and lights are still fine and the battery reads 13 volts. Maybe I don't have the "surface charge" syndrome that Frederck mentioned.

Now I have plugged in the convertor to see if the convertor trickle will bring the battery back up. I have yet to speak to American about the shedding parts. I will, I will, I will get to that tomrrow.

RonnieV is offline   Reply With Quote