Electrical Questions....Refrigerator swap..burro - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #15
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
This is not related to fridges, just a tip guys when cutting FG with a scroll saw. Run a strip of masking tape along the line where you are going to cut and it will help prevent so much chipping.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
What are you guys using to cut holes in the fiberglass? I was using and older jig saw with a fiberglass blade... still took awhile to cut through....I made a plastic bubble out of painting tarp to collect all the dust and minimize the spread...

I am replacing my icebox in my Burro with a 2 way. I found the best thing to cut the fiberglass is my hi-speed dremel tool with a cutoff wheel on it. Nice clean and quick with no chipping. I was lucky as I did not have to cut it out vey much. I used a very coarse belt on my belt sander to remove the wood. It was very dusty but was the fastest way for me.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I like Mr Dremel a lot too ... for thinner F/G I've used the spiral cutting bits in the Dremel. I also like my 4.5" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel ...

For really finished cuts try rough cutting with a sabre saw or cut-off wheel leaving 1/8 inch or so of material then use a router with a counter trim bit to finish the cut.

To get cuts really straight, clamp a straight edge tothe work and use the router. Likewise with round holes ... make a plywood template and stick it to the work with double faced tape then use a roller guide bit in the router.

For small spaces where the big router won't fit, I have a small trim router ... a cheap model from Harbor Freight ... works fine. Just don't try to take too much material in one pass.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
This is not related to fridges, just a tip guys when cutting FG with a scroll saw. Run a strip of masking tape along the line where you are going to cut and it will help prevent so much chipping.
I fully agree with the tape and I also saw the refrigerator at Target today, now off the sale price, still a good deal since no compressor to ratle to pieces going down the road. My frig.is not chilling on electric in my old Scamp, but I have not tried the gas ever on it, so it may be the heating element on them is dead and the gas will heat it up, causing it to chill. Anyone ever been down that route with an old frig?
Old 10-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul
Quote:
I fully agree with the tape and I also saw the refrigerator at Target today, now off the sale price, still a good deal since no compressor to ratle to pieces going down the road. My frig.is not chilling on electric in my old Scamp, but I have not tried the gas ever on it, so it may be the heating element on them is dead and the gas will heat it up, causing it to chill. Anyone ever been down that route with an old frig?
Speaking of refrigerator, any samples of how there fixed to the floor or examples of bases they set on ???/

Tags
burro, refrigerator