Electrical switches - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #61

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
On a forum like this you have no idea who is answering or their qualifications.
Upon assessment of the aforementioned electron flow interruption quandary I have ascertained that application of the third switch principle is the most appropriate solution. Simply follow the included diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
the switch.jpg  
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #62

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm really glad Robert comes to this forum and asks questions.
I can't agree more. Why not brainstorm with the minds of many. It can be someone with no electrical knowledge at all that says something that gets you looking along a certain path, where you may discover the solution you are looking for.

Sure, it is marketing too, but nothing offensive at all. I think it is great when manufacturers actually take the time to listen and involve the customer, the best form of marketing there is.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #63

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, and hiring a $150/hr E.E. to figure out which light switches to use at a start-up operation is a sure fire way to assure that only the very wealthy, who may not be interested anyway, will be able to afford your product.

That way, with just the slighest effort you could add at least $3000 dollars to the cost of the product.

I think that someone suggested that he look at Marine switches and waddayouknow, that appears to be where he found his answer.

FWIW: I have seen the Dorkiest(?) posts provide a lead to the right solution.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #64
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Wow!
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #65

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Robert, I'm sure glad you found your switch!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #66

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'm wonder if any of the commenters so far can see beyond the simple switch issue? Can possible see that it might be an indicator a much bigger problem? To me the switch is non problem, problem, but sure is an indicator of the knowledge of the trailer builder.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #67

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Robert Johan's is one of the least people I would worry about regarding wiring of a trailer. He's certainly completely rebuilt more trailers than the above curmudgeon. Since he owns the Egg Plant, I really, really doubt he takes shortcuts or flys by the seat of his pants, because he is concerned about reputation and liability.

I mean really... be nice!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #68

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
I'm wonder if any of the commenters so far can see beyond the simple switch issue? Can possible see that it might be an indicator a much bigger problem? To me the switch is non problem, problem, but sure is an indicator of the knowledge of the trailer builder.
Byron, have you not looked through the Nest website, and seen the products that Robert intends to use, and all the forward thinking innovations incorporated into the product. Obviously lots of thought and knowledge has gone into these products, as many of them are relatively rare on most trailers sold in North America, and many are pretty much leading edge technology for the industry.

I think these commenters you are questioning very clearly see what is going on, a trailer builder trying to do things right.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #69

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Byron, have you not looked through the Nest website, and seen the products that Robert intends to use, and all the forward thinking innovations incorporated into the product. Obviously lots of thought and knowledge has gone into these products, as many of them are relatively rare on most trailers sold in North America, and many are pretty much leading edge technology for the industry.

I think these commenters you are questioning very clearly see what is going on, a trailer builder trying to do things right.
Maybe, Maybe NOT. Look at what happened to Park Liner by not having their trailer properly engineered. They spent a lot of money fixing battery location problems and tire rub problems.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see how problems they have.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #70

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Tell me Byron, do you thing Parkliner has consulted with an electrical engineer, or Lil Snoozy, or EggCamper. All 3 of these companies have managed without the "experts" so it can be done.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #71

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Ok guys, this is starting to seem a little tense, lets agree to disagree shall we?
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Tell me Byron, do you thing Parkliner has consulted with an electrical engineer, or Lil Snoozy, or EggCamper. All 3 of these companies have managed without the "experts" so it can be done.

It's really not worth fussing about.
As far as those you mentioned the jury is still out as to whether they'll be around long term, I have my doubts.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #73

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Tell me Jim, where did you get the information that you posted above?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #74
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Hey Byron,

When we get Nest up and running, I'd be happy to invite you to our production facility here in Bend. If you can help us deliver a better product, your expertise would be most welcomed.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #75

Name: Trent
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Anybody want to talk about politics?

Just kidding, that's the wine talking. Learned a lot from this thread.
Receo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #76

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Politics? That's my expertise.......but it is forboten here.......LOL

I like what I've seen so far in the Nest Trailer.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #77

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
When we get Nest up and running...
Robert, apologies for diverting this thread - fascinating though it be - but I finally put 2 and 2 together and realized that Nest Caravans is your start up.
Just checked out your Nest web site - Stunning !!!

I'm just wrapping up two years of weekends spent renovating a Scamp and now you've got me lusting for a Nest. Thanks a lot buddy!
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #78

Registry
Quote:
Hey Byron,

When we get Nest up and running, I'd be happy to invite you to our production facility here in Bend. If you can help us deliver a better product, your expertise would be most welcomed.
I'm sorry, but giving you any advice seems to be a pretty dangerous thing around here. You asked for advice, I gave it and I got beat up. I think I've been beat up enough.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #79

Registry
Quote:
Hey Byron,

One more thing I learned a long time ago that giving even paid advice to an "expert" is not worth the effort. You asking me to come over to the dry side and give you free advice is like me asking you to bring a one of your "nest" trailers over to wet side and give it away. My fees are lot more than free.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #80

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
I've given my last response to this thread. Believe what you want. I tried to help the OP but the back yard mechanics have the floor.
I am really enjoying this discussion.

BK, my count shows you making about 7 additional posts after having given your last response on this thread.

Robert, selection of DC switches for use in a new line of fiberglass trailers does not really require the input of an electrical engineer. However, even if you are qualified to do your own electrical work, it would be good practice for a trailer manufacturer such as Nest to have your electrical details/plans reviewed by an expert in those types of installations. This helps to avoid problems that could come back to haunt you later on.

In my own field of engineering, independent technical reviews are commonplace and required on all technical work carried out by our company.

cheers

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical