electronightmare - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Thumbs up

I fully admit to being an electro-dweeb and I need some advice. After four days of shore power at silver falls and a day driving to the ferry in Vancouver, our battery should have been A-1. Not so. In the ferry lineup there was nothing, no lights in the trailer, nothing. Then it was on to the ferry and off again at Vancouver Island where I noticed water spilling out of the side of the trailer. A quick check revealed the pump, switched on when there was no power, now was pumping all our water out onto the highway.
So we had lights for the night, and took the morning ferry home. Within about four hours, with nothing on to draw power, the battery was dead.
Now I'm assuming the battery is toast as it should hold a charge longer than that, and I know the old inverter is not the best (Per has recommended changing it, but as I say, I'm an electro-dweeb) but I have no idea why I had no power in the ferry lineup, only to have it resurrect itself on the crossing. Any guesses?
Thanks for the help.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Sometimes a bad cell in the battery will cause that.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Ian, ....I can't leave you alone for more than 2 years without you having more electrical problems

Are/were you relying on the tow vehicle to charge the battery. It sounds like a 'possible' bad connection somewhere, possibly between the T.V and the trailer.
The battery in our hot-rod came up dead last week. I thought for sure after sitting in that state for at least 5 or 6 weeks, it would be toast. My little battery maintainer doesn't have the snot to recharge it from a flat state, so I took it to my favorite garage and had them give it a good charge all day.
Seems to be back to 'normal' now, hopefully all your battery is a good kick in the _ _ _ _ _ to get it in shape.
Keep us informed as to final results please.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote