Eletric Propane water heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
I reciently had to replace the refrigerater in the egg. A friend of mine saw the old one waiting to be halled off and said that I should remove the 110 volt heating element and I could use it to add electric heat to a water heater that was propane only. He told me that you slide the element down the tube that the gas burner is in and wire it to a 110 volt power supply. He has many years of R V experience so before I threw the old one away I removed the element.
Has anyone ever heard of this, as it sounds much to easy. Would like to get some input before I try it and cause myself problems that I don't have now.
Thanks
Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
...remove the 110 volt heating element and I could use it to add electric heat to a water heater that was propane only.
Would like to get some input before I try it and cause myself problems that I don't have now.
Thanks
Ron
Almost all of the Fiber Streams out there that I am aware of came equipped from the factory with a dual source (propane and 110 volt) water heater. Their sales information page highlighted this feature. Are you sure your water heater is "propane only?" My Fiber Stream has an electric cord on the water heater that plugs into a 110 volt convenience outlet located [b]behind the converter, underneath the driver's side bunk. I just happen to prefer to heat my water with propane, and have not tried to use the electric element.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Quote:
Almost all of the Fiber Streams out there that I am aware of came equipped from the factory with a dual source (propane and 110 volt) water heater. Their sales information page highlighted this feature. Are you sure your water heater is "propane only?" My Fiber Stream has an electric cord on the water heater that plugs into a 110 volt convenience outlet located [b]behind the converter, underneath the driver's side bunk. I just happen to prefer to heat my water with propane, and have not tried to use the electric element.

Fredrick
Very true, howerer a Quantum 5 has a propane heater only
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I used the lightning rod route for an electric heater, it takes about 20 minutes to install, and there's no jury rigging to get it to work.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Sounds like an accident just waiting to happen.

Give your old fridge to your neighbor McGiver and let him make a spaceship or something out of it and go and Purchase the screw in heating element that is designed to install inside the water heater and be safe. You can get them at any camping supply place. Try camping world.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote