Endurance Factor - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-14-2007, 01:18 AM   #15
Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie

Loads of good advice especially renting first or even buying a cheaper used one. Good check list provided by Per Walthinsen. He raised an issue that I had not considered; snoring. That in itself would demand a rent before you buy. I will be towing with a Nissan Xterra, 2WD, and can make extra sleeping room by folding the rear seats down, but more likely will be used for storage. I think I will rent a pop-up tent camper for a couple of weeks from the nearby Army Outdoor Rec Facility. I have primitive tent camped extensively over the years, using two tents, without any problems. The 17' trailer is a step up and a recognition that even with an air mattress and sleeping bags tents are for the under 50 group.
Oops- It didn't register with me the first time. You being a military retiree. At my local Army Outdoor Rec Facility (Ft Lewis) they have Casitas for rent. Maybe there is a facilty near you that might have some. Check with yours and ask. Perhaps if one can be found, would a quick inexpensive way to explore.. Larry

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #16
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
... do not under any circumstances pack a personal firearm, knife blade more than 1" long, or any hard object weighing more than 3 oz!!! Pack lots of cotton balls and a 5 gal bucket full of aspirin. Before leavingpractice saying, "Yes, dear, I was wrong!"

In all seriousness -- go for it, what's the worse that could happen?

Ed Felker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #17
Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Hey Rick -

Tents still have their rightful place in the world. They are for camping in places you can't drive to - backpacking trails, river raft trips, bush plane destinations. On those kinds of trips you are basically living outdoors and just sleeping in the tent. I still love to do that, though I am no longer "under 50".

But for road trips you can't beat a comfortable RV. You will have to determine your own tolerance level. My wife and I just sold our 17' Casita SD that we had for three years. We used it a lot, but never on trips lasting more than two weeks. I thought it was nearly perfect, but my wife strongly hinted that bigger would be better. So we found a used 21' Bigfoot. Even with that, I can't see us living in it for six months. I know there are a lot of people on this forum who full-time in these little trailers so I can't speak for anyone else. You said you might rent a pop-up or something for a shake-down cruise. If you want your new wife to be happy, get something with a bathroom!

BTW, congrats on your retirement, you will love it.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #18
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
I have no personal experience on this (yet!), but my grandparents traveled around the United States in a tiny truckbed camper for a full year after their retirement. They had a blast.

You could also add a "room" to your trailer by setting up a screenroom/awning room. I think a 17 foot trailer and a screenroom would give two people plenty of room.

Have fun!
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #19
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16 ft / Dodge Dakota Sport V6

Lots of good insight on being up close and personal in an egg. The key here as most have hit upon is not the size of the trailer but the ability of the participants to be tolerant of each other. The smallness of the trailer does not make people hard to get along with but it does bring out the things that are already present, albeit “hidden” in each one of us. My wife and I have shared many sizes and types of rv’s in our 50 years of togetherness and we have managed to at times get irritated at each other in each one of them. However, we have not let these minor upsets ruin our outings. And I will admit it is much easier to be tolerant when its just the two of you, Of course our four kids no doubt helped us build our tolerance levels and appreciate Our quieter times together. So if loving consideration of your significant other is high on your list of priorities then great memories will be the product of all your adventures.
Regards Gerald
gerald rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #20
Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Hi Rick
We were fortunate enough to be able to take a 5 month trip around Can and US several years ago in our 15 foot Trillium which is very comfy and has lots of storage space inside.
(We also have a 13 footer but I wouldn't be as keen to do the trip in that primarily because the bed is too small and uncomfortable for us and storage limited.)
We pull it with a Aerostar which gives additional storage and an " annex bedroom" if we should need it due to too much togetherness.

The best discovery for us was that we actually get along better, have no everyday small hassle stress (moving lawn, cleaning house, painting porch) and loads, loads more fun while we are on the road. I would love to leave and keep going and going and see just how long it would take to make us come home again.

We were born to travel (in a Trillium) and can hardly wait until circumstances allow us the priviledge again.....but for much much longer!

Donna, Lance and Dixie Dawg
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #21
Trailer: 25 ft Bigfoot
Sounds like a lot of fun, but 6 months on the road in a Casita may be a bit much. Dianne and I started our outdoor adventures 40 years ago in a tent. We have backpacked, had a truck camper, a Coleman pop up, a Casita 17SD, and now have a 25ft Bigfoot. Since we retired in 98 we have spent many entire summers on the road. The most enjoyable were Alaska in 2003 in the Casita and the Canadian Atlantic provinces in the Bigfoot last summer.
Alaska is a winner no matter how you travel, but endless rainy days in a Casita make for tense times. We ran into 7 straight days of "liquid sunshine" on the Kenia Penninsula. Cabin fever got to both of us.
If you will be in warm sunny areas where you can use the great outdoors at will, the Casita will serve you well. It is also a great first travel trailer. You will learn a great deal and, in RV terms anyway, won't spend a lot of money doing it.
After Alaska we searched our souls. The Casita fraternity is a great one and we hated to leave it, but in the end opted for more room. The Bigfoot has the same quality as the Casita, but it is bigger by a long ways. More expensive by a long ways too! A trip throughout the S.W. in the winter of 04 and to Newfoundland last summer were an absolute joy. Rainy days are much easier to handle, and there is plenty of room to stretch out and relax. The full size queen bed is the equal to the one at home.
What the heck - Go for it and let us all know how it goes. There are people out there full timing in Casita's !
Al Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #22
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Oops- It didn't register with me the first time. You being a military retiree. At my local Army Outdoor Rec Facility (Ft Lewis) they have Casitas for rent. Maybe there is a facilty near you that might have some. Check with yours and ask. Perhaps if one can be found, would a quick inexpensive way to explore.. Larry
Larry, I did check with the Outdoor Rec at Redstone Arsenal in the Huntsville, AL area and they are asking $60/day for a 17 footer and-or $360/week. Add the $15.00 per day RV park fees even at military campgrounds and we are talking big bucks for a weeks worth of endurance evaluation. The costs in itself would be the cause of some heated discussion with the little woman and myself. . I also looked into Arnold AFB which has a Family Camp and they only have a single anchored trailer to rent and that's $45.00 per day. As you can imagine it's well used and requires reservations months in advance. I have a lot of tent gear and have done considerable primitive camping over the years. I think a real test and one that is affordable would be to do a week of two-tent camping. If we can survive that then we can probably survive a 13 foot egg; but I would never buy one that small. Thanks for your help. Rick
Rick Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #23
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
hummm, the only people I know are H. David & Leslie de Beaux who are retired and full-timing in a 1993 Scamp 13, they've dubbed the GeezerEgg.

Check out their comments in this topic: How Long Can You Go..

I'm going to send them a PM and the next time their online with us, perhaps they can give you more insight.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #24
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Thanx, Donna, for reminding me we wanted to put our two cents in. Here's what we posted in that earlier thread:

"Welllll, during our first "snowbird" adventure last winter, we spent 7 months on the road in our Scamp 13 and had a ball. As Donna D stated, most of our time is spent outside, walking, exploring, reading or napping in the sun. It IS a given that you need to be 'pretty good friends' for this to work harmoniously. In fact, we enjoyed that time together so much, we've sold our 'stick house' and are on the road in the aforementioned Scamp - WUNNERFUL!"

There is lots of good input in the foregoing posts. We especially agree with Gerald & Pete about the size/equipment of the rig not being as important as being pretty flexible & accepting regarding your travel-mate. The advice about renting or trying out a "preloved" FGRV first is good for all the stated reasons. We needed a trailer light enuff to tow with our Mazda MPV minivan, and were blessed to find a '93 in great condition. The Mazda does a great job, but we have no illusions about weight ... when something new comes on board, something 'old' goes away. Dave loves this feature, as it curbs my 'packrat' tendencies ... that's an example of the flexibility issue.

Dave & I worked together before his retirement, so we were together nearly 24-7 most of the time - it was great then & even more fun now - NO work! The transition from "vacation travel" to full-time wandering is an interesing one ... but boy, is it great to be able to choose a day or two longer at a favorite camp site or museum whenever you like. In sum, what do you have to lose by taking a leap of faith & hitting the road? There will always be 'bricks & mortar' to return to if/when you tire of Egg-ventures. We congratulate you both on finding your soul-mate - Hope our camping paths cross in the future. Keep taking care of each other , L 'n D
“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.” A. Einstein
David & Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #25
Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Been there - for 2 weeks, anyway. Here's Richard's and my "tips."

Compatability / tolerance is directly proportional to one's intake of beans, bran muffins or cabbage. Limit the intake of all three!

The person who has to get up the most times in the middle of the night to pee (re-light the heater, swat the last remaining mosquito, etc.) should get the outside edge of the bed.

Don't camp in rainy places.

Sounds like a fun trip. You'll either have a blast, or have some great "misery stories" to share when you get back!

Bon voyage!

- Miriam

Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote