Engaging the Trailer Brake - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Sounds like you need a better site to park the trailer.
Hire a tow truck to haul it off that hill.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Huck, was the site that bad or is your trailer not level when hooked up, as it should be.? To me if the wheels were blocked up 6 inches then the tongue also must have been high to keep it level when camping?
Am I missing something?
Chain it then raise it to needed height is the right way to go..Set emergancy break on TV.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #23

Name: Donald
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Rear moving brakes???

If I remember correctly, electric trailer brakes don"t work in a rearward direction!!!
robertsd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsd8 View Post
If I remember correctly, electric trailer brakes don"t work in a rearward direction!!!
I think you are thinking of 'surge' brakes, not electric. I believe 'surge' brakes need to be disconnected to back up the trailer.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #25

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Doesn't the campground have a tractor? Have them haul it up to the road.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think you are thinking of 'surge' brakes, not electric. I believe 'surge' brakes need to be disconnected to back up the trailer.
Not disconnected Glenn, most have a hole or such to slide a pin into to keep the coupler from moving.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
You are right Robert. Glenn, surge brakes do work in reverse, that is why you would block them out from working. On surge DRUM brakes, drum brakes are not designed to work as well in reverse, but surge DISC brakes (as I have) work just as well forward as well as reverse, so one can manually block them out prior to backing up if for some reason the blocking solenoid switch that draws it's power from the back-up lights, quits working.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #28

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Huck, was the site that bad or is your trailer not level when hooked up, as it should be.? To me if the wheels were blocked up 6 inches then the tongue also must have been high to keep it level when camping?
Am I missing something?
Chain it then raise it to needed height is the right way to go..Set emergancy break on TV.
The trailer was parked on an incline. Think of a right triangle. I had to either raise the back, lower the front, or in this case, both. The more I was able to lower the front, the less I needed to raise the wheels. One wheel only needed to be raised about 2" and the other about 6".

Once I had the chains on, I knew I could get the trailer out.

I think there's an important lesson for anyone forced to park on a steep incline. When hooking up, get the chains on 1st, even if that means uncrossing them to get a couple extra inches in length. My tow was about 4" from the ball and I was able to get the chains on. Once I had the chains on, my spotter helped me back up those last 4 inches. Once you get the hitch properly on the ball, you can put the chains on correctly.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Actually they do, at about the same rate for the same speed.
The lever arm moves both ways about the same amount.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
One wheel only needed to be raised about 2" and the other about 6".
I don't understand why you would need to raise both wheels. Couldn't you have just raised one side 4" ?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I don't understand why you would need to raise both wheels. Couldn't you have just raised one side 4" ?
Not if the site is severely sloped from front to back as well. I believe that was the situation that originally prompted this discussion.

It gets worse the longer the trailer is. I saw a 28-30' twin axle sticky parked at Lake Pleasant last spring. It was a beautiful site, but had a pretty good slope going down toward the lake. The owners had apparently used up all the blocks they had raising both sides. With the tongue all the way down, it was still sitting nose up as well as canted from side to side.

Wouldn't have wanted that one to get away, either- it was a straight downhill run into the lake!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #32

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
It worked out with 3 2x6's under 1 wheel, I needed to raise the opposite wheel. I said 6" because it was 3 x 2" (for the 2x6's), but actually that works out to 4 1/2" as a 2x6 is only 1 1/2". It worked out that using a plastic square on the opposite wheel was just the right size.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Huck, have you considered using a BAL leveler? It has a lift range of 4.5" IIRC and allows you to fine tune the lift height. More important in your recent situation, it also functions as a chock.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote