Ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #1

Name: Carla
Trailer: Tote N Tarry
Washington
Ensolite

I am new to the fiberglass trailer world. Just learning and having fun. I bought a 1973 Tote and Tarry. Fairly good condition. I am remodeling it and having a great time (Love it). I can't wait till the weather gets just a little better for camping.

Questions: The foamy insulation material on the ceiling and walls (Is it called Ensolite) is drooping off the ceiling (pulling away from the fiberglass). There is also a small amount of the Ensolite missing, but I think I can steal a little from under the sink area for patching. How would you suggest I reattach it to the fiberglass? Also quite a bit of the seam tape is missing. I found a roll from a scamp dealer on the internet, but it doesn't stick at all. Any ideas?

I did use some caulking to fill in gaps. And tried to use the tape with the caulking, hoping the caulking would help it stick (wrong). I didn't think of painting the ensolite ( I just saw the suggestion in some older posts). What type paint would you suggest using?

Any help is appreciated.
Carla
CSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ensolite is glued to the fibreglass with contact cement. When it separates, it is necessary to clean off the old glue from both the fibreglass and the Ensolite. To do this it is necessary to free up a flap, so you can get under the Ensolite. This may require shaving the Ensolite away from the fibreglass to expose the underside.
After the glue is cleaned off, paint more contact cement on both the fibreglass and the Ensolite. A low VOC contact cement is recommended. Wait for it to dry. When the two glue covered surfaces touch, they wil bond. You only get one shot at this. Connect the most distant point first. Then connect the edges. Work your way back to close the rest of the gap.
Ensolite is somewhat stretchy, even more so when it is warm. It might be best to do this on a warm day. Maybe have a blow dryer to heat the Ensolite.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I have heard of some people using a hot glue gun to put the ensolite "tape" back on. Sounds like it would work to me and I plan on using it on mine.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I have heard of some people using a hot glue gun to put the ensolite "tape" back on. Sounds like it would work to me and I plan on using it on mine.
That would likely work, but I would be worried about a hot day melting the glue. Not that it is under much stress, so should be fine. Others have used paint-able calking.
The T bar that Trillium uses at the seams of the Ensolite have a socket that is glued in first, then the T bar snaps into the socket strip. This is available from a number of sources. I think Tom young sells it. Jo Thoen at Outback / Trillium in Calgary sells it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #5

Washington
Ensolite

Thanks for the information. I really do appreciate it. Sounds like the ensolite fixes are going to have to wait till a little warmer weather. I really do appreciate the information.

Carla
Old 02-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Carla, welcome to FiberglassRV.. we're glad you're here!

I feel forunate to have seen a Tote N Tarry in person. Cool little trailer. Do you have any pictures to post. I'm betting others would love to see it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I used 3M 77 spray on adhesive with the seam tape from the scamp store.

Had to hold spray can close to seam, and move can rapidly as I sprayed to avoid putting on too much or having overspray. Kept some rags handy to wipe off any spots where the spay was too wide for the tape right after I applied the glue.

It Worked "ok", had a couple of places that I had to reapply the glue, might have been my application or letting the glue dry too little or much. Most has stayed in place through last summer and this winter. Don't really understand why the stuff they put on in 1977 was still stuck and the new stuff can hardly stick to itself.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #8

Washington
Wink Tote and Tarry Pictures

I will take some pictures this weekend and Post ASAP.
Carla