Ensolite Glue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Registry
Ensolite Glue

I know a lot of people have ask what to use when gluing Ensolite in their Trailers. My question is a bit dfferent. I would like to find a glue that would work on the outside of the Ensolite. I have used a sticky roofing tape over the Ensolite that I have cut to put wires in but the tape keeps coming off. I would like to put a glue on the tape that would stick and stay. The wires are in a cupboard so I really don't need it to look good but to stay functional.
Alex C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
How about getting a strip of the new replacement T channel and clips. Can Am in London is supposed to be carrying it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Duct tape?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #4

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 1981 16 foot
Michigan
Wow that glue topioc, I picked up a 1981 Scamp this sumer and the seam tape had yellowed really bad and was fallling off. I took of all the tape and cleaned the seams really good. the next day after a good drying I installed the new seam tape and boy did it look good. In the morning I went to the trailer and the tape was all hanging down and pieces on the floor. No matter what I tried nothing would stick. So I just took white caulk and sealed all the seams. IT LOOKS LIKE A MILLION BUCKS. If you find something that sticks let us know, if you dont want to waste money and time use the caulk. Good luck
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
While on the subject of caulk - I need to figure out a way to fix a bad caulk job. The caulk was put in the cracks and then the whole thing painted. The repairs are coming apart in places (Maybe the PO didn't apply the right glue). I want to re caulk but I don't think that new caulk will stick to what is there. Anybody else had this situation. I hope I don't have to dig out all of the caulk that they did.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #6

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
I think I want to use caulk again to fill cracks. not tape. Has anyone ever applied caulk over caulk? I'm thinking that I will either have to cut out all of the old stuff or at least cut grooves in the old stuff to get new caulk to adhere. The old stuff has been painted over. What caulk products have been successful? It will be painted over.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #7

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 1981 16 foot
Michigan
When I did the caulk I used single side razer blade just to cut a wider grove (about 1/4 inch), the old stuff should cut right out. I just used a silicon white caulk and a caulk gun then wet my finger and smoothed out the line. It was so easy and looks way beter than the tape. just take your time and it will look great.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
In answer to your original question.
3M spray on adhesive sticks well to ensolite. Available at the big box home improvement or hardware stores. There is more than one flavor some with different strength or properties.

I used the 3M Super 77 as a "helper" when I put my seam tape on. Hold spray nozzle close to seam, spray a line along the seam, let set for a few minutes, apply tape. Tape stayed put in 100 degree heat.

Can directions state that application of adhesive to both surfaces yields a stronger bond if that is desired. I just applied to ensolite to make removal/replacement of tape in the future easier.

Caulk over caulk is not usually a good idea, clean surface is generally required for good adhesion of anything. Probably a little less critical that it be totally clean since your not "sealing" anything just filling and blending a seam. But the more you can get it down to solid surface the better.

Just FYI the reasons I went with seam tape from Scamp store over caulk (which is not to say caulking seams is a bad idea) I liked the fact I could easily replace if it became dirty or damaged. It was fast, I removed and replaced one end of camper in an hour with tape. And my 77 scamp windows have no inner trim ring, tape is used to seal/hide the seam around window, a location I would not caulk as it would make future window removal very painful. Having to use tape there it just made sense to me to go with tape on the rest.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Registry
Well I finally found the glue that I was looking for. I found it at Princess Auto and I forgot the price. Around $4.00 I think. It is white and goes on both surfaces like contact cement. It dries clear and tacky and then you put both surfaces together and you have a great bond. It is called "Pit Crew's Choice.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02490.JPG  
Alex C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
To hold wires in place out of sight use a hot glue gun.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
Well I finally found the glue that I was looking for. I found it at Princess Auto and I forgot the price. Around $4.00 I think. It is white and goes on both surfaces like contact cement. It dries clear and tacky and then you put both surfaces together and you have a great bond. It is called "Pit Crew's Choice.
Alex, Nice GL1800! I have a 2008 model...just did a 6,000 mile trip in July..rode it today...yesterday...the day before that...
Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Alex, Nice GL1800! I have a 2008 model...just did a 6,000 mile trip in July..rode it today...yesterday...the day before that...
Ya, but what is the towing capacity?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
To hold wires in place out of sight use a hot glue gun.
Eddie
The UHauls were made with hot glue holding the wires. On mine, most of the wires have come loose and were flopping around. YMMV
Old 10-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
We are really heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Ya, but what is the towing capacity?
Two heavyweights such as my wife and I at 425 lbs combined + a plug-in hitch platform with a 60lb dry bag, 6 fishing poles mounted in various locations and a rack pack at maybe 40 lbs + the tour pack full at maybe 50 lbs with the cooler include and 2 saddle bags at 25 lbs each.....after a dry weight of about 950 lbs including 6 gallons of gas + oil....

https://sites.google.com/site/hotfishtacosaregreat/home

"Living the dream" Steve Stilwell