Ensolite replacement option - need help - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Always Shopping
British Columbia
Thanks Stevebaz, good to know. I believe we have actually found another product we will be doing some more research on. Thanks for the heads up though.
cityslicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
To those that are asking about the link and Brad and Jennifer, they haven't been on the forums for more than five years. I checked Jennifer's profile and there's no way to make contact via email.

If you care to read more about the red boler, here's their rebuild thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-34440.html Note there's information regarding the ensolite paint in the fifth post.

Hope this helps!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #23

Name: Arne
Trailer: Boler 1975
Email
Like so many of you I'm researching a replacement for the Ensolite. I was in Home Depot and came across a carpet underlay called ecofoam. I checked their website, and the msds sheet, and it is not considered hazardous. It appears as though it could be easy to work with. The associate helping me said its a closed cell material that glues very nicely with pl400. Does any one know anything about this product or used it? I like the look of it. Just not sure about using it. Sure would like to hear members feeling.

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428529893.212368.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  20.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428529956.114630.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  19.6 KB

Price wise is 52.00/ 6 sq yards or a large room for 175.00/ 20 sq yards. If I got that right.
ArneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
From a search for "eco foam"
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-bc-54938.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lls-41861.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-40554.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ite-25001.html

There were others.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #25

Email
Thanks David I'll take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
This may have been covered elsewhere or be common knowledge around here but putting Reflectix directly on the shell without first putting an air space between the reflectix and the FG is going to do no one any good at all.

Reflectix is a radiant barrier and actually has very little insulation property. Given an air space between it and the wall, it works really well for keeping radiant heat from the sun out.

Bubble wrap works really well for creating the necessary air space.
You raise a valid point but the reflectix on its own does have some RV value although as you say not as high as it does with air space between it and the fiberglass. Using the reflectix directly on the fiberglass with a haul liner over it has been done by same for many many years now by Scamp and it does work in regards to keeping the trailer fairly warm - far better than just the straight liner over the fiberglass.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
These threads make my hair start on fire. Everyone seems to want R15 insulation on a single shell. Won't happen ever unless you build a trailer within a trailer, like the double-hull brands.

Those that want to replace the original Ensolite with something else, my sympathy. Pay attention to the compound corners of your trailer. There's some great products out there, but can you glue it to the corners where it will look acceptable, no bunching, no ripples? Exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

Clean, usable and not totally trashed might be a consideration. You're talking about a trailer. Not, your sticks 'n bricks home. Hummmm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
LOL Donna, to get to R15 will take a lot of insulation thickness. Probably wind up with the same room inside as in my doghouse outside.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #29
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker
Newly purchased 1972 Boler 1300 - I have started removing the mold covered, torn Ensolite and we are considering using this spray material as a replacement. Does anyone have experience with this or something similar.

Versi-Foam

Spray Foam I Spray Foam Applications I Versi-Foam Systems

Mike
Hello Mike and welcome. I realize you have found an alternate approach but for those that are curious I believe Great Stuff spray foam is chemically similar if not the same product you were considering. .

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1510782029.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	82404

What I found is that once it's out of the can, it kind of has a mind of it's own. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
These threads make my hair start on fire. Everyone seems to want R15 insulation on a single shell. Won't happen ever unless you build a trailer within a trailer, like the double-hull brands.
What makes my hair start on fire on these threads is that often folks new to these trailers will strip the walls without first figuring out the cost of replacing what they are ripping off & discover the full cost of replacing it after the fact. Its sad on two counts. First off we end up seeing way to many of our little trailers put up for sale that have been stripped inside - party either did not have the skills &/or time to replace everything they ripped out of it or where lacking the funds to replace it all correctly - often its the later.

Whats even sadder is that many of the trailers that have had the walls stripped are in need of a new axle where IMO the money would have been way better spent.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Ensolite foam is still available. The vinyl-coated ensolite product used on the interior of our campers is not. .
Actually it is still being made. You can purchase a version of it from Escape trailers as they are still using a vinyl covered foam on the walls of their new builds. Trillium USA (before they sold out to Great West Vans) was also selling it just a couple of years ago. You might want to check with Team Trillium in Calgary - the manufactures of the Outback as they do repairs on older Trilliums as well.

Also check with the major marine foam manufactures - you will find it.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #32

Alberta
Registry
Team trillium uses Rat Fur.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Team trillium uses Rat Fur.
Thanks David I had forgotten that! Will correct my post. But as they do repairs on older Trilliums, they may be able to give folks some ideas as to where they might purchase the vinyl covered foam.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #34

Alberta
Registry
No offense to Joe Thoen, but I have seen them pull down almost perfect Ensolite and put up rat fur. I remember thinking, when I went to look at this trailer, that the Ensolite was in good shape, other then the piece that had fallen off under the front window, (which the guy still had):
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-64139.html
Old 04-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
No offense to Joe Thoen, but I have seen them pull down almost perfect Ensolite and put up rat fur. I remember thinking, when I went to look at this trailer, that the Ensolite was in good shape, other then the piece that had fallen off under the front window, (which the guy still had):
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-64139.html
As much as some dislike rat fur or marine headliner it does have many positives in a trailer application as it does on boats. It does not retain dirt or smell. It is also much warmer to the skin should you be sleeping up against the wall.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As much as some dislike rat fur or marine headliner it does have many positives in a trailer application as it does on boats. It does not retain dirt or smell. It is also much warmer to the skin should you be sleeping up against the wall.

But it's not a good enough reason to rip out salvageable Ensolite.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #37
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My Trillium has a yellow foam and vinyl? covering. After seeing a Scamp, were I given the choice I'd prefer rat fur. I think it's "warmer". Raz

Name:   image-4001169946.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  54.1 KB
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #38

Email
Raz I'm kinda thinking like you. At the moment I'm thinking I'll test Eco foam with hull liner over top. Im going to buy the Eco foam at Home Depot and order a sample of hull liner and glue up a test patch and see how it performs. Maybe put some in the freezer and see if it separates. I gotta start somewhere or I'll never makeup my mind.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #39

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm confused. The Reflectix insulation we're talking about actually contains a layer of bubble wrap sandwiched between two layers of reflective film.

From the product description at http://www.amazon.com/Reflectix-BP24...dp/B0022NH3E4:
"A reflective insulation consisting of two outer layers of 96-percent reflective film, bonded to two layers of heavy gauge polyethylene bubbles (nominal thickness: 5/16-Inch)" [emphasis added]

I am aware that there has been some debate over just what the R-value is and whether it may have been overstated by the manufacturer and/or misrepresented by installers, but even the most conservative estimates make it at least as good as Ensolite. Scamp's claim of R-15 is probably optimistic, but nevertheless it is commonly used in a variety of automotive and RV applications and seems to do the job reasonably well.

I agree that saving the existing Ensolite would be the best option, but if it is indeed too far gone, then hull liner over Reflectix would be my second choice.
I used it in the "nose" area (bed area) of our Lil Snoozy, and it made a huge difference there, no matter what the real R value is....it works. Personally we have had experience with both the marine headliner & ensolite, really prefer the "rat fur" for both the warmth and sound. Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01459.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #40

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Those that want to replace the original Ensolite with something else, my sympathy. Pay attention to the compound corners of your trailer. There's some great products out there, but can you glue it to the corners where it will look acceptable, no bunching, no ripples? Exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

Clean, usable and not totally trashed might be a consideration. You're talking about a trailer. Not, your sticks 'n bricks home. Hummmm.
Well, if your hair starts on fire please save the hat,,it's priceless! lol lol
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote