Ensolite sag - what type of glue? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #1

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Ensolite sag - what type of glue?

We have a few places in our Boler where the ensolite sags a bit. We'd like to fix this before it spreads and goes from a small sag to a full on droop.

(I've checked it out and I don't believe the sags are due to leaks... just age I suppose.)

From reading the forums I have seen the following glues suggested or used. I am wondering, now that time has passed, how these have held up for people.

Can anyone vouch for any of the following glues or suggest any alternatives?

LePage Press-Tite Green Contact Cement
3M Super 90
3M Super 77

On a side note; since the sags aren't at any edges or cupboards, we are going to use a large-bore syringe to poke a hole and squirt the glue around the interior so that we don't have to cut open the ensolite. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!
Clayton
Old 10-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Clayton I have used the 3M product & it worked well for me - sorry I dont recall off the top of my head if its the 90 or 77 - It is a spray and it does come with a long thin pipe for spraying so you will need to poke a small hole to fit the pipe through in order to spray it, The key to it is spray and then wait a few min for it to become tacky before pressing it back into place.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #3

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Thanks Carol. Good to know. How long ago did you do it? It hasn't sagged again?

I looked in Canadian Tire to see if they had any of those the other day but they don't. Where did you get the 3M product you used?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #4

Name: Brayden
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
I used a two part urathane glue they use to bond metal, plastics and fiberglass together in body shops
The only issue it has is that it will last longer than the fiberglass shell itself
So if you ever think of
Redoing the insolite there will be alot of sanding lol

They have different cure times
I used 30 sec so I didn't have to sit there and hold it

It's never coming off

25$ is the price and the tube has
Alot in it and it glues everything
Even skin FYI ( not fun 30 sec move fast)
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by calindor View Post
Thanks Carol. Good to know. How long ago did you do it? It hasn't sagged again?

I looked in Canadian Tire to see if they had any of those the other day but they don't. Where did you get the 3M product you used?
I first used it about 4 years ago and have not had to redo any areas where it was used. I cant recall where I got it but it was probable Home Depot or Rona.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #6

Name: Rod
Trailer: 2014 GWV Trillium Sidekick 1500
British Columbia
Registry
I used the pres-tite green to relay my ensolite after redoing my windows in my Trillium. I used it on some big areas where water had gotten into and released the original contact cement from the factory, and the entire upper cupboard after I pulled all the ensolite to clean out some choc-o-latey coffee cough syrup stuff that had spilled in there decades ago. That is nice thing about the ensolite being a closed cell product - it washes up quite nicely and came back as good as new. I think that is the closest thing to the rubbery contact cement they used at the Trillium factory in '78. Plus it is quite forgiving, if you are messy like I am it becomes tacky and easily peels off the spots you shouldn't have gotten it (walls, counters, hands, hair, tongue) before it dries. And if you have to go back and lift up the ensolite after you glue it down because you forgot something (don't ask) you can peel it up carefully and it will come up eventually. I did quite a bit of reasearch before settling on the pres-tite green and although I didn't use the 3M 77 or 90 I read a few times the 77 wasn't stong enough and the 90 was too strong. This was also for a Trillium and not a Boler so I don't know if the ensolite is the same or not.

I am a Trilliumaire - I can go camping anytime, any place, anywhere.
Rodre is offline   Reply With Quote