Ethical question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Fun Finder (X139)
Ethical question

My insurance company agreed to pay for the full amount of my leak damage, around $5K. In theory, I could have the trailer repaired for free and have like-new trailer with a re-done roof, and no worry about winter rains in 2011.

My wife, however, wants to sell the trailer as-is without the repair (we will give full disclosure to the buyer, who is a trailer RV repair guy) add the proceeds to the insurance money, and buy a new or slightly-used, 2010-2012 model of a slightly larger 18-foot trailer.

I know the insurance company probably doesn't care, and this practice is probably common. If the insurance wanted to prevent it, they'd probably pay the repair shop directly. But does this seem okay and ethical?
paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
My take is that they are reimbursing you for your loss, it is up to you how you use it.

In a different situation my insurance totaled my trailer and took title and possession of it so they could recover the salvage value.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I don't see the problem. They don't 'give money away'. The insurance company has confirmed and calculated your loss. You will sell the damaged trailer for less than it would be worth if it were not leaking. Too often we hear horror stories of insurance companies offering far less than than the trailer is worth and then take the trailer for 'salvage'. The decision to sell or repair is yours to make.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:16 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I agree with the other replies. You paid your money and bought the insurance. They are just living up to their end of the deal. Plus you will eventually pay them back in higher rates.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #5

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Sutton View Post
My take is that they are reimbursing you for your loss, it is up to you how you use it.
My take as well.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote