European Dometic fridge models - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I came across the international Dometic web site and saw they have a whole different line of small 3-way refrigerators for RVs. Their product line is surprisingly complete compared to what they offer in North America.

Some of the models they have, such as the RM4210 would actually fit pretty well in a Trillium as a RM24 replacement, unlike the ones we have here (RM2193 and similar) that would either stick out or require counter reconstructive surgery to fill gaps around it. That model also has front controls and a freezer compartment.

Importing such a model is probably highly unrealistic, but I was wondering - those European models being 240V - what would be the technical implications if one was to try to make them work in North America?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
bump
Old 01-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I'd say you could either replace the heating element with a 120v item that fits the hole, or just leave it, and run it on either propane, or 12v. I'm quite certain that there is a way to convert 120ac to 220ac, but wonder if it's worthwhile.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
The space to insert the 240v heating element is the same as the 115v. Keep your watts at +- 15% of the rated watts and your O.K. or order the 12v model and power off a 115v to 12v converter rated at the correct amps required. The 12v is more useful as it will cool while traveling, replenishing the battery can be kept up with by the tugs 12v system when hooked up using a battery isolator, when you park plugging into 115v the converter will take over, also charge the battery in some models.

Email Dometic directly your model inquiry request, the models in the American market and the European market are numerically different sometimes but may cross to cabinets to be introduced into the U.S.A. at a future time not yet released. I have seen pop up trailer manufactures order and get these models when they need them.

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/Start/

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge