Ever done a complete remodel? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #1

Name: Bryce
Trailer: U-haul
Michigan
Ever done a complete remodel?

If this has been addressed elsewhere, please feel free to re-direct me. We bought a u-haul trailer that smells like a mold factory. We are completely re-stripping, water/bleaching (just this once, it's definitely necessary) everything, and putting in new carpets and re-upholstering. We are going to try washing the upholstery foam, because that stuff is insanely expensive, and we are making all new cushion covers. Has anyone else done this sort of remodel before? We have gotten some very helpful tips on the floors and floor bolts, and would love any other tips available. Thanks!
Andrea F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea F View Post
smells like a mold factory.
Concrobium Kill, Clean and Prevent Mold
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I see this can be had at Walmart...........good to know.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16651260?w...599990&veh=sem

And to the Forum Andrea
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Lots of folks here have done a full-scale renovation on their trailers. Mine was pretty crusty when I got it and while the cushions weren't totally dire, they were pretty musty. I soaked them one at a time in a bleach solution in my bathtub. The key is to have a way to dry them quickly after the soak because then you risk just inviting more mold.

Since I did this in the winter I didn't have the benefit of being able to stick them outside on a hot day. So I put them in a safe distance from my fireplace after experimenting unsuccessfully with sticking one in the dryer. Whoops, it chewed a little chunk out of that one, better not try that again!

Anyway, the bleach bath was a success - it de-stank the cushions so I was able to re-cover and re-use them all.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

Michigan
Thanks all! Jen B, we were just trying to figure out how to wash those darned cushions! Good idea with the bleach, ours will definitely need it. We are going to make new covers, but the foam is too expensive to replace. We will be bleaching and attempting to dry in this MI humidity for a while!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: CT13
Indiana
As they said many of us have renovated Uhauls. So far i have replaced most of the windows, floor, repaired leaks and currently upgrading electrical. Let us know how we can help you.
Higginra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #7

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: Uhaul ct-13
Michigan
Where in Michigan are you? I am in kalamazoo with my uhaul
uhaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #8

Michigan
Thank you Higginra! I will definitely be posting all of our problems. Uhaulin, we are in Midland, just a few hours away.