Exterior storage box - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 18,870
Exterior storage box

I was thinking about installing a permanent aluminum box on the front of my trailer to put the propane tank and battery in. It would provide for security and give me someplace to keep a few tools that I don't want to keep inside the trailer. Has anyone done this or know where to get a box that is only about 12 inches deep and tall enough to carry a propane bottle? Thanks for all the help and information.
Mike
__________________

__________________
Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 18,870
<img src=http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/uploads/3da4fe3901cdahonda-box.jpg/>

Do you mean like this?

You can read about it at Generator Box

Also use the search in the upper right corner for Tongue Box.
__________________

__________________
Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 18,870
Here are a couple of ready made tongue boxes:

Challenger Trailer Utility Box

...or Try these links:

trailer tongue toolbox

another trailer tongue toolbox
__________________
Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Member
 
Karen L.'s Avatar
 
Name: Karen L.
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Washington
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Posts View Post
I was thinking about installing a permanent aluminum box on the front of my trailer to put the propane tank and battery in. It would provide for security and give me someplace to keep a few tools that I don't want to keep inside the trailer. Has anyone done this or know where to get a box that is only about 12 inches deep and tall enough to carry a propane bottle? Thanks for all the help and information.
Mike
I know this is an OLD topic, but I had questions of same nature. I got some rewiring done on Burrito @ the truck shop I always go to & found the coolest black "rubberish" tongue box..$139.00..Went in search of small propane tanks so I could include tank & battery...First place, WalMart, where I met a maintainace man who had owned a fleet of charter boats. He told me that you NEVER want to store battery & propane together, as propane is highly flammable, especially in summer when it expands. A spark from the battery can cause a fireball which is difficult to extinguish, dangerous & deadly. He had taken Fire courses. Neighbor said same thing, so I'm wondering why people are doing it. Can anyone comment? Sounds like a neat way to store, but this guy was convincing re: dangers. Thanks Karen L.
__________________
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
here is mine, I vented the box and only use the propane in the winter for my Wave III.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00738.jpg  
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Member
 
Karen L.'s Avatar
 
Name: Karen L.
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Washington
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
here is mine, I vented the box and only use the propane in the winter for my Wave III.
Thanks! Do you carry the propane in the summer at all? I notice you have 2 batteries. Have you ever been concerned re: a fireball from the propane? I see it's not connected. Do you have a hole in the side for the connectors for the propane? I'm still not convinced that it's entirely safe!! karen
__________________
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,309
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen L. View Post
Thanks! Do you carry the propane in the summer at all? I notice you have 2 batteries. Have you ever been concerned re: a fireball from the propane? I see it's not connected. Do you have a hole in the side for the connectors for the propane? I'm still not convinced that it's entirely safe!! karen
Karen,
Take a look around you and see how many RVs there are in the world. Almost all of them have propane on board. If propane wasn't safe that wouldn't be the case. If don't have a picture of the numbers do an image search on Quartzsite, AZ.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Propane is heavier than the surrounding air. Put a vent in at the bottom of the box. Put the batteries in battery boxes. These solutions should prevent propane build up and reduce greatly the chance of a battery spark.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen L. View Post
Thanks! Do you carry the propane in the summer at all? I notice you have 2 batteries. Have you ever been concerned re: a fireball from the propane? I see it's not connected. Do you have a hole in the side for the connectors for the propane? I'm still not convinced that it's entirely safe!! karen
I have a vent directly underneath the tank, 2 on the sides and 3 on the rear, very little chance of gas accumulating. I also only carry the tank if I'll need heat, in the winter.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have a vent directly underneath the tank, 2 on the sides and 3 on the rear, very little chance of gas accumulating. I also only carry the tank if I'll need heat, in the winter.
What do you carry for batteries?

Norm
__________________
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
What do you carry for batteries?

Norm
2 group 27/ 110 ah each
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1980 Burro
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Propane is heavier than the surrounding air. Put a vent in at the bottom of the box. Put the batteries in battery boxes. These solutions should prevent propane build up and reduce greatly the chance of a battery spark.
In addition to the propane, batteries give off hydrogen which is lighter than air and can also be ignited with a spark. The hydrogen needs to be vented, so you need a vent at the bottom for propane and another one at the top for hydrogen to be safe. The battery boxes are vented into the box with the propane unless you get a special battery box that vents outside.
__________________
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Batteries off gas only while being charged with hydrogen sulfide being expelled. There are 6 vents installed in the box. The only time there is any propane use would be while boon docking and not connected to a/c and there is no battery charging. I guess AGM would be a better choice and I will replace accordingly, but until then the propane is only used in winter with no charging, so off gassing should not be present.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #14
Member
 
Karen L.'s Avatar
 
Name: Karen L.
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Washington
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Batteries off gas only while being charged with hydrogen sulfide being expelled. There are 6 vents installed in the box. The only time there is any propane use would be while boon docking and not connected to a/c and there is no battery charging. I guess AGM would be a better choice and I will replace accordingly, but until then the propane is only used in winter with no charging, so off gassing should not be present.
What do you mean AGM? I didn't know about hydrogen gas!! The truck shop was all set to install the box, so obviously they weren't aware of a concern. I still like the idea, & have seen so many RVs with boxes on front. I often go to the beach, so I'd like to have the propane as I sometimes cook inside when cold & rainy! I like your & Donna's ideas..lots of vent holes in the bottom, etc...box does not have any, so they'd have to be drilled....Thanks, all...still undecided! I know no danger when both are in open!!
__________________

__________________
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting the exterior Ken James Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 108 05-17-2017 06:55 PM
Exterior Shower Matthew A Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 10 08-21-2009 12:13 PM
Exterior Storage box ideas Cam A Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 17 05-15-2006 06:41 AM
exterior paint necessary? Legacy Posts Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 5 02-26-2003 03:59 PM
Exterior Care Legacy Posts Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 9 01-23-2003 02:43 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.