External Electrical AC Outlets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2008, 05:42 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
External Electrical AC Outlets

I recently posted these questions as a follow-on to my topic on converting a window AC unit to sit outside the camper, but I don't think they were noticed. Besides, it's probably a more general question about external power connections. For those with exerternal AC units, or other external appliances, do you plug directly into the campsite outlet (maybe through a tee where the trailer line connects) or do you install an outlet on the outside of the trailer? What about a GFI? Do you count on the campsite having safe grounds, or do you install your own GFI unit? The Pet Cool unit I had with the teardrop used a simple grounded 110V plug, apparently not concerned with the elements. I suppose the best way would be to at least use an external outlet box with a rain cover. Of course if I run straight to the campsite outlet, that's usually covered. Comments appreciated.
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
My Casita came with an outside outlet on the door side. That outlet is wired into the distribution box in the trailer. What I have is one of those surge protector/GFI plugs I use at the end of my shore power cord that plugs into the power pole.

Surge/GFI

In the grand scheme of things I don't know what it's worth in terms of surge protection but it's my understanding that anything downstream from a GFI is protected.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
After a battery charger had meltdown I carry one of those economical little outlet testers and check the campsite source before I plug in. I have found the camps wiring wrong on a couple of ocasions.
"Oh it's OK just go ahead and plug your trailer in.
Then You'll pay for any damage done to my trailer, Right?"
Now that you bring it to my attention, it would be a good idea to replace at least the original household type outlet on the outside where we connect a coffee maker or electric frypan with a GFI. BUT then I'm sitting on rubber tires, isolated from a true ground except for the camp ground. Mabee a surge protector would be better. I think I need an electrician.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Steve's surge protector/GFI unit looks attractive. I hadn't really considered the surge protection...I was more interested in protection from unsafe wiring (poor grounds) in the campsite. Also, just from a general point of view, whether or not people worry about having extension cords or external 110V connections using without some sort of weather protection. I think I'll at least get a GFI somewhere in the string. I don't want my (or anyone else's) body to provide the ground circuit for the air conditioner. Curious to see what other experiences may be.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote