Extra Batteries - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Bigfoot
We recently bought a 2004 Bigfoot. We mostly camp where we do not plug in. Our previous Bigfoot had 2 batteries but to do it they had taken away the fiberglass cover over the propane and put a plastic cover over them, which looked tacky but worked. We tried to have a tray made to put 2 six volt batteries in a "V" the front of the propane tanks but the guys at camping world say it is too high then to put the fiberglass cover over it. Have any of you managed to put 2 batteries in your Bigfoot, how did you do it, what would you suggest? We could just go tacky again!
Thanks, Francine
Francine P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Have any of you managed to put 2 batteries in your Bigfoot, how did you do it, what would you suggest?
Link to how Bill Abbay modified his Bigfoot for 2 batteries.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #3

This is GREAT, can you send it to me in a file so I can get to the guys trying to do this?
Francine
Old 02-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #4

The lower tray looks quite low, is it a problem with clearance? I see the guy who modified it is Bill and your name is Fredrick. Is that right? Do you have his name, number etc. We aren't too far to go use him in San Diego? Maybe he's just a good friend, a very good friend. Nicely done. Francine
Francine
Old 02-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
That's a very clean, neat, and well done solution!
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #6

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
This is GREAT, can you send it to me in a file so I can get to the guys trying to do this?
Francine
Do you mean this?

http://www.frontiernet.net/~arbill/bigfoot/bf_batt.html
Old 02-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #7

yes, thanks. Did you do this yourself?
Francine
Old 02-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #8

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Did you do this yourself?
The frame under my Fiber Stream is too wimpy.

BILL ABBAY is a member on this site. (He was Last Active on 21st November 2008 - 03:18 PM) In the signature line of his profile, he has a link to his Bigfoot 21' and all of the especially clever mods he has done to it. I have aspired to own one of those, and copy his efforts.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Have you considered just using a larger 12V battery meant for solar such as this one?
http://www.surrette.com/pdf/pdf_surrette/12cs11ps.pdf
This might be too big, but they had quite a few more in various sizes. Maybe even use 3 of their 4V batteries?
It all depends on how much space you have.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One of the usual reasons to go to two 6V batts is that they are relatively inexpensive at warehouse stores compared to two real deep cycle 12V batts (Most RV dual 12V batts sent with the rigs have El Cheapo batts that aren't as capable or as durable (in terms of charge cycle life) as the 6V golf cart batts).

The usual mounting problem with the 6V batts is their extra height compared to the 12V.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #11

Quote:
One of the usual reasons to go to two 6V batts is that they are relatively inexpensive at warehouse stores compared to two real deep cycle 12V batts (Most RV dual 12V batts sent with the rigs have El Cheapo batts that aren't as capable or as durable (in terms of charge cycle life) as the 6V golf cart batts).

The usual mounting problem with the 6V batts is their extra height compared to the 12V.
So, do you think they could fit 2 deep cycle marine batteries in this space?
Francine
Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Quote:
We could just go tacky again!
Thanks, Francine

Francine, don't do tacky, there is a much better way.

I installed two Trojan T-145 6 volt batteries, with a capacity of 260 amp hours, on the tongue of my Bigfoot. I did this and still kept the shroud in place, kept two 20lb propane tanks and increased, that's increased not decreased the ground clearance by two inches.

I have been meaning to make a post about it with pictures and dimensions. I will see if I can get that done today.

Dean
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Francine, don't do tacky, there is a much better way.

I installed two Trojan T-145 6 volt batteries, with a capacity of 260 amp hours, on the tongue of my Bigfoot. I did this and still kept the shroud in place, kept two 20lb propane tanks and increased, that's increased not decreased the ground clearance by two inches.

I have been meaning to make a post about it with pictures and dimensions. I will see if I can get that done today.

Dean
I'd love to see the pictures, thanks for your help.
Francine
Old 03-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
So, do you think they could fit 2 deep cycle marine batteries in this space?
Francine
I would think so, but measure to be sure.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
I added a 2nd battery under the passenger side front dinette seat, in front of the access port cabinet. It's closed off from items in that access cabinet, yet accessable by lifting the cushion and seat. I installed a fuse and manual shutoff switch then ran number 8 wire inside the front panel wall across to the converter, and paralleled the other existing battery line. The battery box is fastened with nylon rope through the wall of the cabinet.
Since I installed an Xantrex Link 20 monitoring system, I had to rewire the existing battery on the tongue to number 8 wire and isolate the tap-offs so the lines came back to the converter, where both battery grounds go through a dual negative line meter shunt. The battery on that side even helps to balance the weight better, as the fridge and black tank are on the other side. It's been like that for a complete season and seems to work fine.
The converter is a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-power PD-9260 with the Charge Wizard.
My Bigfoot 17 is a 1993 CB version.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #16

Bigfoot Battery Upgrade, Installing two Trojan 6 volt T145 golf cart batteries

I posted my battery upgrade information & pictures in the modifications forum.

Dean
Old 03-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Bigfoot Battery Upgrade, Installing two Trojan 6 volt T145 golf cart batteries

I posted my battery upgrade information & pictures in the modifications forum.

Dean

That was a lot of work to put together, very concise and well done. I am glad I am not the only one that will benefit from this. I doubt the guys at Camping World are this clever. I am not handy enough to do this, but I like it!!
Again, thanks so much!
Francine
Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:
I am not handy enough to do this, but I like it!!
Again, thanks so much!
Francine
Francine,

You just need a handy welder. With the provided dimensions and pictures a good welder should be able to do his part in less than 6 hours. So, it becomes an expense issue. Hard part was perhaps the design and that's done. I messed with that for about a day. Seems so obvious now.

One does need to remove the shroud and equalizer before taking it to the welder. Then it becomes just labor with the filing of edges, rust removal, cleaning with acetone, priming, and painting and then reassembles.

Anyway, it’s another option of a few workable solutions out there. Good luck with your battery upgrade.

Dean