faded paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
We know our scamp needs a new paint job, but in the meantime, is there anything you can do besides clean it to make it look better?
laura berkebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
You can try a wax or the like, there is a bunch of them on the market, with good recommendations here on F.B.R.V. but... in a scamp this old? I will answer no...There is nothing you can really effectively do...The gel-coat takes the brunt of all the environmental impacts on the trailer and its only couple of trash bags thick, in its era NO U.V. protection was available in the common market...So...Its well washing off mil by mil.

Add to this issue it ages at a set rate and deteriorates as a part of its function, and you get the picture, like dead skin coming off when its use is over.

In a nut shell its time to go to work, do your research, get the pennies together, budget 3X as much as you think and 5X as much time...Keep a serious sense of humor on hand and post your issues, triumphs and set backs to the fiberglass voyeurs here...We like pictures....

Now that honesty has answered the question, let me say this...You love the thing or you don't...The project at hand will be part of the story of this trailer and you as a positive, or get out while you have cash...Envision if this trailer will be part of your lives for many years or you can pitch it out for a project for another enthusiast...There will be takers a plenty, you can get one you can squeeze more use out of if its in better shape.

If you have a location to work on it, my vote is to go for it, the project will teach allot and afterwards the trailer will reward you with the memories of a lifetime.

There are new products on the market that make this much easier, many have been intrepid enough to attempt it and the results are beautiful.

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Since it's paint you may look for a wax type product that perks up old paint finishes.

One thing I tried on an old casita we bought was New Finish/wallmart/$3.99 a bottle. It worked on the gel coat of the old old old Casita. As well as we had a blow out on the new Casita that left black marks in the tire well, you know black rubber marks plus road tar mixed in. Anyway one day while cleaning the Casita, I scrubbed and scrubbed on those black marks, I finally picked up a bottle of that new finish and rub it around, sure enough it took those rubber/road tar marks off. It's cheap enough to give it a try. I would suggest useing a buffer with the new finish, at least for the old casita it was a lot of rubbing.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Do you know what the Scamp was painted with? Not that there are any miracles, but there are some products you can use on a two-part LPU, for example, to give it a last boost. If we knew what it was painted with we could be more specific.

Raya

PS: Is it faded (washed out) or thin, or both?
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting