Fantanstic fan question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I'm going to purchase a fantastic fan shortly and had a question. I'm going back and forth on the thermostat and/ or rain sensor. I thought I read a post about the thermostat or rain sensor unit having problems if your boon docking. I plan on 20 to 30 percent of our trips will be without power, so can I still go to manual in these situations if I have the thermostat/ rain sensor unit. Thanks
Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
...so can I still go to manual in these situations if I have the thermostat/ rain sensor unit. Thanks
We've had a fantastic vent fan since May, and on many occasions I just want the vent open, no fan, so I operate it in manual mode. Even with power to it you can fool it so it will stay open in light rain or mist.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Just for a different perspective I have the fantastic fan without the remote/rain stuff but i have a Maxx-Aire cover over it and i leave it open all the time rain or shine and nothing ever comes in.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Danny,

I'd recommend the thermostat but not the rain sensor.

I had one with the rain sensor and it oscillated between open and closed when it rained. The rain sensor is under the cover so when it gets wet it closes the cover.

In a few minutes it dries and opens the cover even though it's still pouring out.

You'd be better off to install a MaxxAir vent cover then you can leave the Fantastic vent open all the time.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Then when I replaced the thermostat Ventline fan with a Fantastic fan I opted for no thermostat.

I don't understand all the ambient temperature stuff but I had a problem a couple of times with the thermostat not letting the fan run when I wanted it to. Something to do with the difference in inside and outside temps.

Without a thermostat I can be assured that I can run the fan any time I chose.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Changing our FanTastic fan from automatic to manual is a simple matter. Pull out the knob which raises and lowers the vent cover to use on manual mode. Push it back in to go back to automatic mode.

We have the model with thermostat and rain sensor, and like it very much.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
I put a F-fan with themometer and rain sensor in my 85 Bigfoot. I love it. No need to worry about getting wet. On our 08 Bigfoot there is a F-fan over the bed and one in the bathroom. The one over the bed is manual with thermomenter and the one the bath is manual but exhausts only. These two are inconvenient. One time we woke up to a wet bed (and it wasn't me!) and at other times I would like the bathroom fan to intake air. Both these will be replaced with the thermometer and rain sensor options.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Thanks for all the great comments. Now that I found out that it has a shut off switch, I will probably get the rain gauge. I have to see how the new axle/ wheel combo comes out to see about any height issues.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
DannyH,
I've not seen it in operation, but a friend of ours has the MaxAir vent/fan combo (MaxxFan) installed, and he loves it. I understand it uses a little more power than the Fantastic Fan, but the hood and fan are integrated, allowing the fan to work at full capacity, even in the rain, as I understand it.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.maxxair.com/maxxfan.htm Just something else you may wish to consider.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote