Fantastic Fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Hello,
I have had Fantastic Fans in other campers -they are Fantastic! ,but my 2006 Scamp 16 does not have one. I plan to install, by cutting a hole (Yikes) behind the stock vent in the back.
Anyone have experience or advice on how to do this. We have the side dinette model.
Running power to the fan seems to be a challenge--any suggestions.

Thanks,
Roger Harshaw
Scamp 16 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 2006
Roger Harshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I used a small electrician's fish tape to push a channel in the Reflectix layer of insulation between the rat fur and fiberglass. Work slowly as it tends to come out of the rat fur, esp at curves.

Pick up battery and return from inside overhead kitchen cabinet (lights wires run under tape in outside bottom edge of cabinet).

What I did was use template outside to mark corners, drilled small holes in FG at corners and push nail thru rat fur. Inside, I cut the rat fur and Reflectix away so I could drill larger holes for saw blade (some have used roto-zip). Be SURE to not cut away too much rat fur as you will want to tuck it under fan trim -- More rat fur is better!!! Also be sure not to let drill or saw blade touch rat fur as it will wrap and pull.

Alternative to fish tape is slice rat fur, insert wire and reglue -- Likely messy.

Alternative is run wire on surface, cover and hold with long strip of rat fur with hook-side Velcro glued to back.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi Al,
I am getting ready to tackle this job. We have the side dinette on a 2006 16 Scamp. Would you please tell me how you ran the wiring--and from what point.

Thanks,
Roger
Hi: Roger I chose to put a 3spd. MaxxFan in our Boler. The up side is the integral rain hood...no cover needed and vent can remain open in a down pour... Down side is that a frame of aprox. 1 1/2 " thickness is needed inside to mount these units in a thin roof (Fiberglass) trailer. I had no trouble cutting out two 3/4" plywood rings and if you send me your email add via a personal msg. I will add you to my photo list to see the "how too" pic's of my work. I managed to get the wires between the Ensolite and the shell to the nearest 12V. light and also to cover the framing with the Ensolite liner.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You can call FF and they will send the plastic frames.

The fans actually come in two versions, High Profile and Low Profile, for thin or thick roof applications.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hello,
I have had Fantastic Fans in other campers -they are Fantastic! ,but my 2006 Scamp 16 does not have one. I plan to install, by cutting a hole (Yikes) behind the stock vent in the back.
Anyone have experience or advice on how to do this. We have the side dinette model.
Running power to the fan seems to be a challenge--any suggestions.

Thanks,
Roger Harshaw
Scamp 16 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 2006
Hi: Roger... I hope you get my photo's link and enjoy them. I forgot that you are working on a 16' Scamp so you will have more headroom than we have in the Boler. With our MaxxFan I wanted the knobs fully enclosed in the roof so I put in 2 plywood rings and still have 5'9" of headroom. You may only require one ring. It also helped that I worked on a very bright, hot, sunny day so the adhesive of the Ensolite was rather plyable. Regards Alf
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote