Fantastic Fan Install - switch to change air flow? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
While you're at it, ask them what the best way to cut the switch hole is.

Also ask them about the wiring and where you can get a diagram.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Mine is the model 8000 so no reverse switch included (got mine used on EBay). I can add the $5 switch just need to know how to wire it up
I just bought a used Scamp 16' last Friday and that first night in the trailer was HOT. A fan to move the air out would have been great. This sounds like a great idea. My inital question is how do you get wiring up to the vent in the first place?

Thanks

Rye
Rye Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 1970 Boler
well thanks for the heads up everyone. Got it installed last night.

Called Fantastic Vent and they are sending me the switch for free. I did not get a wiring diagram but did confirm all the vent fans are the same minus the add on options. The air flow, etc and current draw remains the same accross the board.

For Wiring it I removed the tape on the center seam and the 2 wires tucked nicely into the seam. Some 2 sided 3m tape and you cannot tell they are there.

I did have to cut the opening bigger (8" to 14") and modified the trim ring instead of adding a spacer. I am running a 25 amp fuse in the line to compliment the built in one.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0002.jpg  
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Mine is the model 8000 so no reverse switch included (got mine used on EBay). I can add the $5 switch just need to know how to wire it up
This may be a dumb question, but how did you get the wires up to the vent to install the fan?

Rye
Rye Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #25

You can't see the wires but if you look closely at the pic of my fan you can see a small seam (covered by seam tape) running to the upper cabinet. That seam is just wide enough to neatly tuck in the 2 wires. To help hold them in place I used a hot glue gun and then put the seam tape over the wires to hide them. I had some paint left over from when I painted the ensolite so it worked well.

For the running of the wires....

I ran the two wires from under the cabinet/sink up through the chrome pipe that also carries the wires for the 2 puck lights and 120 volt flourescent light. Then along the back side of the flourescent light and into the cabinet where they run along where the cabinet meets the roof, then they go into that seam until they run under the plastic trim ring and into the vent.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 AM   #26

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
This may be a dumb question, but how did you get the wires up to the vent to install the fan?

Rye
Not a dumb question at all. And the answer is different depending on what kind of trailer and insulation you have. For recent-model Scamps and Casitas that have "rat-fur" over Reflectix (silver-bubble-wrap-like) insulation you can do it this way.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #27

great install on the fan Kurt, and kudos to FF for their helpful customer service. I got my fan yesterday and am waiting to get my trailer back from an RV repair PDI on all the systems to install it.

We should be able to do it ourselves and save some money and get to know our fixer better
tracy.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
BTW, I recall one Casita owner reporting that his egg was pre-wired for a power vent. He 'candled' his egg by putting a strong light outside overhead and looked for the shadow from inside.

That method likely wouldn't work on a Scamp because of the insulation (Scamp doesn't pre-wire).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #29

got the switch for free from Fantastic Fan - yee
Old 11-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
got the switch for free from Fantastic Fan - yee
Kurt, great install. Nice to here about good customer service supporting there products. I look forward to getting one myself.

Brad
Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote